Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it ethical that Coca- Cola and McDonald´s sponsor The olympics?

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Adele is also performing at the Closing Ceremony ...
    :lol:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're wasting their time; I'm getting beer and curry for the olympics, every day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, my opinion on this won't change anything, and neither will any of ours, but I do believe that the Olympics should have some sort of regulation and only allow companies like McDonald's and Coca-Cola to be sub-sponsors rather than the main sponsors. I'm surprised the main sponsor is not a big British company wanting global attention, or a big sports company like Nike, Adidas or even Li Ning (China's answer to Nike).

How many people actually get influenced by the billboards at the Olympics? I mean, I know your sub-conscience picks them up, and you remember new companies, but a company like McDonald's or Coke who have been around for so long and always sponsor these events, I don't feel influenced by them at all as I already know what they taste like and I don't regularly eat in McDonald's and only have coke every now and then.

I think the committee should have definitely tried to get some British companies as the main sponsors, but then again, could they afford it? Surely the cost to sponsor the Olympics will be something crazy, like multi-millions of pounds or even over a billion?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    In answer to the original question, no, it's purely financial, ask yourself why the 'centennial games' was held in Atlanta, home to the head office of Coca Cola?

McDonalds? McDonald's has had a contract in place with the International Olympics Committee (IOC) to be the official restaurant of the Olympic Games, since 1976. And in January this year, at the Winter Youth Olympics in Innsbruck, it extended said contract to 2020. "The story behind the sponsorship dates back to the 1976 Winter Olympics," Langhorn beams. "The US sportspeople were feeling homesick, so McDonald's flew them in some hamburgers." The rest is history. http://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/hr/featu...ople-mcdonalds

Morals, Ethics and even people mean nothing to the IOC and the companies in bed with them, the olympics is one of the biggest cash cows in the world!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    In my day, Coca-Cola contained cocaine
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Count Olaf)
    O RLY

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighwayUnicorn)
    O RLY

I'm 109 young lad
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Coca-cola and McDonalds aren't unhealthy by their nature. They're only unhealthy if you have too much of them - which is true with anything really. Even sports
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    TBH, I don't think it's worth kicking up a fuss about until it's sponsored by Benson & Hedges, Frosty Jacks and the Sinaloa Cartel...
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the athletic prowess of the participants will overshadow any unhealthy advertising from CocaCola/McDonald's personally. If anything it might help to show a balance between a healthy lifestyle and an unhealthy one. I think the biggest danger in the dieting world today is to put too much emphasis on either extreme. 'If you want to be healthy you can't ever eat fast food. If you eat fast food, you're a walking heart attack.' There's nothing wrong with exercising regularly and generally eating healthily but going for a Big Mac occasionally (if you enjoy it, why not?). Indeed I'm pretty sure athletes aren't strict to their diet regimes all of the time. So my point is, the advertising demonstrates that you can have a balance.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. But still, I don't think it does any harm when the athletes themselves are promoting a healthy lifestyle.
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    Usain Bolt ate McDonalds before winning the olympic 100m's and breaking the world record. Athletes don't eat like saints, only if they're cutting for a particular reason.
    I came to post that exact reply but got beaten to it...

Basically, all atheletes can drink Coke and eat at Mcdonalds in addition to their training and be fine. It's the people that eat/drink it everyday AND do no exercise that's the problem...

Surely this will encourage the fat people in Mcdonalds/drinking coke to take up sports so is actually a good thing?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's great cos I love athletics and I also love coke.

but I don't like macdonalds much
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissNewfarm)
    I´m working on a very interesting project for my Master degree in London where I examine how companies such as McDonald´s and Coca-Cola can sponsor the olympics. Is it okay that this organised event, promoting sport, healthy eating and being a good role model, is sponsored by brands promoting the exact opposite? Should the organisers exclude such sponsors even if they will suffer a significant financial loss?

Please let me know your thoughts!
    Sport - and the Olympics - is not about healthy eating nor healthy living. It is about engaging in competition for either enjoyment or monetary gain. Whilst sport may be a healthy pastime for many, at the Olympic and professional levels it is certainly not; the training required puts an enormous amount of strain on the body and, well, the human body is simply not designed to do the stuff that's seen at the top levels. And you'll find that many top level athletes eat more than their fair share of junk food like McDonald's to help keep up their calories to sustain their training. And don't forget the steroids either!

So yes it's ethical that Coca-Cola and McDonald's can sponsor the Olympics because they're all bad for your health in some way.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissNewfarm)
    I think many people, and certainly I, disagree with you on this. Many top athletes claim that food is actually more important than training when aiming for good results in sports.
    The only people who make such meaningless claims are unthinking new-to-weightlifting idiots in the fitness section of TSR.

Like, what does that even mean? That if you change your diet but do no training, you'll get more than 50% of the total results available to you if you ate properly AND trained? Like, if I eat as a swimmer eats, I'll get better at swimming?
    Seriously how does it work? In what sense is the eating "more important" than training?

Diet is only important in trying to directly manipulate bodyweight up or down - apart from that you can just eat any old **** and it hardly takes a genius to figure out what foods you like to eat and get eat enough of. A hard-training athlete needs to just eat "plenty" of food, and I assure you a lot of that is ****e. I train or work with lots of athletes, in various sports over the years, and a few (maybe 10%) are into the classic "healthy eating" game but they never seemed to benefit very much from it, if at all. A fair few end up broken from it, they get obsessed with it all and miss the bigger picture, and fail to thrive compared to their colleagues who just eat whatever their appetite demands.
    Getting a nice 1600-calorie McDonald's after a workout is ****ing excellent and is pretty much ideal for any athlete. For sedentary single mothers and their young children? Maybe not. But the Olympics is about sport obv.

I´m not going to go through the whole protein, carbohydrate and fat discussion here but when you exercise 3-6 hours a day, your body need very specific nutrition to be able to restore and perform.
    Sounds complicated.

when obesity in the UK costs £4.2 billion annually one might argue that it´s not very ethical to "tempt" people with McDonald´s and Coca- Cola, which has been blamed for encouraging obesity with very unhealthy food/drinks.
    Blamed fairly?

Some people argue that there´s nothing wrong with there products as long as you consume it in small amounts but for those who fail to do so: Both brands promote food and drinks consisting mainly of empty calories with extreme amounts of fat, sugar and salt. consuming large amounts of this food will result in obesity which again risks multiple diseases. I agree that The Olympics is not promoting healthy eating directly but a sports event with the best athletes in the world do so indirectly.
    They promote whatever the hell they're paid to promote.

In this case, McD's and coke.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    nothing mcdonalds or coca cola have ever done has ever been ethical. greedy sell-out suckers of satan's scaly black cock.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HurricaneDominic)
    To be honest, my opinion on this won't change anything, and neither will any of ours, but I do believe that the Olympics should have some sort of regulation and only allow companies like McDonald's and Coca-Cola to be sub-sponsors rather than the main sponsors. I'm surprised the main sponsor is not a big British company wanting global attention, or a big sports company like Nike, Adidas or even Li Ning (China's answer to Nike).

How many people actually get influenced by the billboards at the Olympics? I mean, I know your sub-conscience picks them up, and you remember new companies, but a company like McDonald's or Coke who have been around for so long and always sponsor these events, I don't feel influenced by them at all as I already know what they taste like and I don't regularly eat in McDonald's and only have coke every now and then.

I think the committee should have definitely tried to get some British companies as the main sponsors, but then again, could they afford it? Surely the cost to sponsor the Olympics will be something crazy, like multi-millions of pounds or even over a billion?
    Thank you for this! The sponsors are actually paying £1 billion towards the £2 billion budget so yes, they need to come up with a lot of money.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mczakk)
    In answer to the original question, no, it's purely financial, ask yourself why the 'centennial games' was held in Atlanta, home to the head office of Coca Cola?

McDonalds? McDonald's has had a contract in place with the International Olympics Committee (IOC) to be the official restaurant of the Olympic Games, since 1976. And in January this year, at the Winter Youth Olympics in Innsbruck, it extended said contract to 2020. "The story behind the sponsorship dates back to the 1976 Winter Olympics," Langhorn beams. "The US sportspeople were feeling homesick, so McDonald's flew them in some hamburgers." The rest is history. http://www.hrmagazine.co.uk/hr/featu...ople-mcdonalds

Morals, Ethics and even people mean nothing to the IOC and the companies in bed with them, the olympics is one of the biggest cash cows in the world!
    Thank you so much for the link! you´re very right!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Count Olaf)
    I know I´ve included that in my report!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I think the athletic prowess of the participants will overshadow any unhealthy advertising from CocaCola/McDonald's personally. If anything it might help to show a balance between a healthy lifestyle and an unhealthy one. I think the biggest danger in the dieting world today is to put too much emphasis on either extreme. 'If you want to be healthy you can't ever eat fast food. If you eat fast food, you're a walking heart attack.' There's nothing wrong with exercising regularly and generally eating healthily but going for a Big Mac occasionally (if you enjoy it, why not?). Indeed I'm pretty sure athletes aren't strict to their diet regimes all of the time. So my point is, the advertising demonstrates that you can have a balance.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. But still, I don't think it does any harm when the athletes themselves are promoting a healthy lifestyle.
    Thank you! In my dreamworld, this is how it would work!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    I came to post that exact reply but got beaten to it...

Basically, all atheletes can drink Coke and eat at Mcdonalds in addition to their training and be fine. It's the people that eat/drink it everyday AND do no exercise that's the problem...

Surely this will encourage the fat people in Mcdonalds/drinking coke to take up sports so is actually a good thing?
    I would love for it to have that effect!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 17, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.