The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

1024px-The_British_Empire.png

In short, quite a lot.
Reply 21
All countries were better off as British territories. Thanks to the British, India is now verging on superpower status.
Original post by Notethis
All countries were better off as British territories. Thanks to the British, India is now verging on superpower status.

Apparently most of the indians now feel like this... only according to my limited experiences mind. I'm sure some rabid anti-colonialist will come along and tell me to shove it.
It might be interesting for you to check out how many of our former colonies have decided to keep some part of our legacy: our legal system, our political system, transport, language etc. A lot of the time, when they've done away with that legacy, they've ended up worse off.
Reply 24
Ditto to above. The effect of European colonialism still being felt today and they still don't stop continuing meddling. :frown:

Inb4, someone tries to justify this, debating colonialism is like debating the pros and cons of rape. (Arundhati Roy, Indian political activist).
Reply 25
Original post by Akinfenwa
About 1/4, we kick ass.

*kicked ass
Original post by tehforum
*kicked ass

*kicked arse
Reply 27
Original post by AkaJetson
*kicked arse

*Kicked Maximus Gluteus
Reply 28
Original post by Squidgyness
Apparently most of the indians now feel like this... only according to my limited experiences mind. I'm sure some rabid anti-colonialist will come along and tell me to shove it.

Why would you have to be rabid to be "anti colonialist"?
Original post by Squidgyness

LOL. With India, Britain was a superpower, India was poorer than most African countries, :rolleyes:despite having a population the size of the US
Reply 30
Original post by harmony_01
Ditto to above. The effect of European colonialism still being felt today and they still don't stop continuing meddling. :frown:

You mean as in the modern technology, science, knowledge, technology, medicine, infrastructure, agricultural techniques (that feed the whole of Africa), industry, world trade, economic philosophy that the British empire contributed to the world ?
Reply 31
Original post by One Nation
You mean as in the modern technology, science, knowledge, technology, medicine, infrastructure, agricultural techniques (that feed the whole of Africa), industry, world trade, economic philosophy that the British empire contributed to the world ?

What ever good end results that happened because of Colonialism was for initially its own benefit such as the building of Port Sudan, the development of Suez Canal, it was all for the benefit of the Industrialists. It had nothing to do with the people, Colonialists deliberately split and unionized different people in order that they cannot identify with each other and form nationalist views. E.g. Sudan.

As for medicine (usually Western), they're expensive, India copies the design (illegally) and produces it for the masses cheaply. Something multi-billion corporate giants in the West have a problem with.

For agricultural techniques that supposedly feed the whole of Africa, we can save them by simply sharing out the food. According to world food organisations, we have enough food as it is to feed let alone one Earth but several. In any case, throwing high-interest IMF loans do not help. But I suppose we're trying to offer new incentives such as GM crops.
Reply 32
What ever good end results that happened because of Colonialism was for initially its own benefit such as the building of Port Sudan, the development of Suez Canal, it was all for the benefit of the Industrialists. It had nothing to do with the people, Colonialists deliberately split and unionized different people in order that they cannot identify with each other and form nationalist views. E.g. Sudan.

As for medicine (usually Western), they're expensive, India copies the design (illegally) and produces it for the masses cheaply. Something multi-billion corporate giants in the West have a problem with.

For agricultural techniques that supposedly feed the whole of Africa, we can save them by simply sharing out the food. According to world food organisations, we have enough food as it is to feed let alone one Earth but several. In any case, throwing high-interest IMF loans do not help. But I suppose we're trying to offer new incentives such as GM crops.

So you state that third worlders did not benefit from modern technology, science, knowledge, technology, medicine, infrastructure, agricultural techniques (that feed the whole of Africa), industry, world trade, economic philosophy that the British empire contributed to the world ?

RIIIIIGGHHT
Reply 33
So you state that third worlders did not benefit from modern technology, science, knowledge, technology, medicine, infrastructure, agricultural techniques (that feed the whole of Africa), industry, world trade, economic philosophy that the British empire contributed to the world ?

RIIIIIGGHHT

All I can see is imparting ethnic divisions, placing dictatorships in the North and raping their resources.
Reply 34
All I can see is imparting ethnic divisions, placing dictatorships in the North and raping their resources.

So you are incapable of seeing the benefit from modern technology, science, knowledge, technology, medicine, infrastructure, agricultural techniques (that feed the whole of Africa), industry, world trade, economic philosophy that the British empire contributed to the world ?
Reply 35
So you are incapable of seeing the benefit from modern technology, science, knowledge, technology, medicine, infrastructure, agricultural techniques (that feed the whole of Africa), industry, world trade, economic philosophy that the British empire contributed to the world ?

I see there is no point in conversing with you good day

I do know it's wrong to blame everything messed up in Africa and India on colonialism because that is easy doing so. It is upto the people to make the effort and change themselves.
Reply 36

Show me a successful former British colony in Africa as a result of colonialism?
Reply 37
Original post by AkaJetson
*kicked arse

Your correction made me laugh :lol:
Original post by DontJudge
*Kicked Maximus Gluteus

*Kicked booty :cookie:
Reply 38
Show me a successful former British colony in Africa as a result of colonialism?

South Africa (before aparthied), Rhodesia (before it got independance), Nigeria (before it got independance).

I can go on

How about you show me a successful former British colony in Africa that can attribute its success to having turned its back on British ways, making a success of itself off its own bat.

Latest

Trending

Trending