The Student Room Group

Things that I can backup in portfolio

If I get the grades and chance to apply for Computer science/software engineering as well as any grades I get what could I do to make my application look better.

I don't do a computer science course at A-Level because my sixth form doesn't provide it as a course so to help secure a place is there any other things I could do?

Programming in my own time over the summer?
Any courses available to students out of school....

If there is anything that you did to try secure a place please let me know

Thanks.
You can look at programming in your own time but I dont think it will make a massive difference, just saying im learning how to program over the summer just doesnt look really good; pretty sure most people would say that.

I had a pretty good PS (got reduced offers from 2 top 10 universities due to it, apparently!) but this was because I talked quite a lot about how I have experience with quite a few languages, not all programming, such as PHP, ActionScript, HTML, CSS, etc. as well as designing quite a lot of websites for a range of customers. I also started making apps in Flash for Nokia smartphones in my spare time as well as a project for primary school children, again created in Flash.
You wont get the chance to show anything like you would with an art portfolio so a lot of people do lie quite a lot or exaggerate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending