Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Durham Freshers 2012 Thread

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread is for everyone firming Durham for the 2012-2013 year! As far as I can tell one hasn't been made yet, but since every other university has a thread like this I figured we should have one too. This way we can chat without clogging up the applicant/offer threads.

Anyways, here's a little form everyone can fill out to break the ice and all:

Name:
    College:
    Subject:
    Offer (conditional/unconditional):
    Why Durham?:
    Other:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name: Jill
    College: University
    Subject: English
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): conditonal, I have to maintain an average of 80% across five 30-level, 5 credit courses including English.
    Why Durham?: It's beautiful, of course, and I was attracted to the traditions and college system since it is so unlike anything I can attend in Canada. Oh, and my sister-in-law's family is from Durham and the surronding area so moving so far doesn't seem as scary.
    Other: Canadian student
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Name: Amen
    College: Van Mildert
    Subject: Philosophy and Psychology
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional; 3As or 2As and Welsh Baccalaureate
    Why Durham?: It just seems perfect for me really. I like the whole collegiate system and the course sounds amazing
    Other:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name: Mal
    College: Open application but I have been assigned to St.John's
    Subject: BSc Archaeology
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): Unconditional
    Why Durham?: I do not like big cities, my cameras and I will be closer to the Highlands, I have stayed in one of the old colleges for a week back in the 80s and loved it, houses are cheap, it is ranked very highly for Archaeology, and its rated top for research in Archaeology. Plus despite my tongue in cheek posts in the odd Durham forum thread, I wanted a "unique" and very British experience. It also helped that my wife's favourite course was at Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and her offer was unconditional.
    Other: Mature student, as in, very .
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Name:James
    College: Trevelyan
    Subject: Physics
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional, AA
    Why Durham?: Really like the course and the collegiate system, and just the uni in general Normal reasons i suppose
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name: Catherine
    College: St Mary's
    Subject: Politics
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional - AAA
    Why Durham?: It's just wonderful. One of the few unis I actually could imagine myself at after the open day. Oh and it has a good reputation and is close to my family
    Other: Really hope I get my grades. Pretty much on track, but y'know, still very worrying cos I LOVE LOVE LOVE Durham <3
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! How is everyone's school/exams going? I'm worried about missing my offer (even though it's pretty low) due to how crazy hard the government exams were last semester. If they decide to make them that ridiculous this semester, I may have a problem. One of my diplomas dropped my final mark by 12%! Apparently marks were low across the province though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPDub)
    Hi everyone! How is everyone's school/exams going? I'm worried about missing my offer (even though it's pretty low) due to how crazy hard the government exams were last semester. If they decide to make them that ridiculous this semester, I may have a problem. One of my diplomas dropped my final mark by 12%! Apparently marks were low across the province though.
    Mine are going absolutely as well as is theoretically possible, because I do not have any .

I have completed my 30 year apprenticeship for Archaeology, in the IT / Management Consultancy sector. I also prepared for archaeology by doing a few astronomy and cosmology modules with the OU, 20 years ago, just for the hell of it.

But preparation for October is still required so I am working my way back through the contents of my book shelves.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evening sunrise)
    Mine are going absolutely as well as is theoretically possible, because I do not have any .

I have completed my 30 year apprenticeship for Archaeology, in the IT / Management Consultancy sector. I also prepared for archaeology by doing a few astronomy and cosmology modules with the OU, 20 years ago, just for the hell of it.

But preparation for October is still required so I am working my way back through the contents of my book shelves.
    Truthfully I was about to neg' you but then I laughed a lot reading your post, so thanks for writing this stuff :^_^:
    Just avoid doing this in every thread :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name: Luci
    College: Collingwood
    Subject: Biomedical Sciences
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional
    Why Durham?: It's close to family, I like the college system and the course is perfect for me too
    Other: I'm coming to Durham from Vienna, Austria
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evening sunrise)

What made you and your wife decide to return to university? I'm terrified to start at 18, but I can't imagine how it would feel to start as a mature student!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm firming it... I haven't officially firmed it yet but after I've been to the open day next week I shall make up my mind. I shall post anyways.

Name: Lauren
    College: St. Aidan's
    Subject: Mathematics!
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional (AAA at Advanced Higher)
    Why Durham?: I never really wanted to go to a big city for university but I didn't want to be in the middle of no where either. Durham I think is just the right balance. I think that I'd be able to have a good balance of work/studying and social time there. It's old and pretty but yet it's very new in parts too. It has traditions and even though I didn't apply to one of the more formal colleges I hope that I'd still be able to experience some of the traditions. I was in Durham last summer for a Maths course and I just loved the place. I could see myself living there for 3-4 years and enjoying myself. I think that's probably the most important thing. I haven't visited the college I applied to. When I visited in the summer I stayed at Grey college so I have a general idea of what the hill colleges are like I guess. I just hope that I do like my college when I go and visit next week!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPDub)
    What made you and your wife decide to return to university? I'm terrified to start at 18, but I can't imagine how it would feel to start as a mature student!
    It is not so much that we decided to go, we have always been going, the question was one of timing. I had a place in 1981 (physics), but elected to become a computer programmer as graduate employment then was truly dire and the new field was very lucrative. So we have bided our time, never ever lost site of the objective, raised a family and had an awsome 3 gap decades. About 3 years ago we set a soft target of 2012 entry, and we made that target hard last September. My employer was a bit shocked I will admit.

I am totally relaxed about it, my wife slightly more nervous. I will not be living in college, my wife and I, plus the 2 of our 4 kids still to fledge are getting a house in Durham. I will not be very visible at Uni. When not studying I will be out in countryside, dressed as a bush, with my cameras, sometimes a tent. The most likely place I will be spotted, excepting the actual course and formals, is at Uni sporting events, again with cameras, or at live rock gigs if Durham has those.

All the best with hitting your offer. You will have a great time once you get to Uni.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name: Sam
    College: Josephine Butler
    Subject:Mechanical Engineering MEng and General Engineering BEng
    Offer (conditional/unconditional):AAA and AAB
    Why Durham?: I like that the city is not too big but not too small. The college system. The department and course look great. The sport is one of the best in the country, particularly the rowing. It just felt perfect for me and where i could easily see myself living for 3+ years, so much so that it will be my firm and my insurance!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name: Jo
    College: Grey
    Subject: General Engineering MEng
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): ABB
    Why Durham?: Every reason possible, I adore Durham and everything about the University and course. So excited! :]

Also, is anyone going to the open days/staying over for the night ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Name: Jamie
    College: St Aidens
    Subject: Natural Sciences
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional, A*AA
    Why Durham?: Because it's a beautiful place, a world best university, a top 3 British university, and just excellent in everyway
    Other: Can't study Chemistry due to circumstances surrounding my application, doesn't bother me, I'm a physicist :3
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name: Elliot
    College: John Snow
    Subject: Applied Psychology
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional, ABB
    Why Durham?: Top uni, nice place. I also really like the college system.
    Other: Applied for Psychology in one of the Durham city colleges, got put into Applied psychology in John Snow college. Dreading wearing a gown.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name: Madeleine
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional - AAB
    Why Durham?: IT'S SO PRETTY. It's a top-notch university, the course is great and it's just a lovely lovely place.
    Other: Already firmed

Also, does anyone know how/when to apply for accomodation? I saw on the website you have to pay £250 upfront for an accomodation guarantee? :curious:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcw6)
    Name: Madeleine
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional - AAB
    Why Durham?: IT'S SO PRETTY. It's a top-notch university, the course is great and it's just a lovely lovely place.
    Other: Already firmed

Also, does anyone know how/when to apply for accomodation? I saw on the website you have to pay £250 upfront for an accomodation guarantee? :curious:
    All accomodation stuff is sorted after results day, don't worry about it yet! No idea what the £250 deposit is...where did you see that?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPDub)
    I am 45 and decided to apply
    Can understand what you are saying but the truth is, I am more relaxed now and willing to enjoy and profit from the university now than before.
    And I did had a speed up life
    I crossed a country in a middle of revolution looking for a doctor because I was ill (Africa) I was in an earthquake (Azores), and under a fire (Lisbon), threatned a man that was a animal dealer, killing dozens of them!
    I married, had a child, sow loads of trees, wrote dozens of articles in websites.
    Look at age like if it was a bottle of wine.
    when young, wine fights your palate, pushes it's flavour, brings up your will to assimilate.
    Mature wine blends in your mouth, becomes "you" in the first instance, just slides with no other intention besides enjoying the ride.
    Locard's principle will work wonders for me at the University.
    And any person that will cross my way will bring me something new.
    Loads of new stuff, gigantic fun!
    And I can relax and just enjoy such a major path in my life

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: October 4, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.