Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Freshers 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by purple-girl
All accomodation stuff is sorted after results day, don't worry about it yet! No idea what the £250 deposit is...where did you see that?

Does that mean you can sort out accomodation if you get your results earlier, or will you still have to wait until the UK results day?

Original post by NetPhantom
I am 45 and decided to apply :smile:
Can understand what you are saying but the truth is, I am more relaxed now and willing to enjoy and profit from the university now than before.
And I did had a speed up life :biggrin:
I crossed a country in a middle of revolution looking for a doctor because I was ill (Africa) I was in an earthquake (Azores), and under a fire (Lisbon), threatned a man that was a animal dealer, killing dozens of them!
I married, had a child, sow loads of trees, wrote dozens of articles in websites.
Look at age like if it was a bottle of wine.
when young, wine fights your palate, pushes it's flavour, brings up your will to assimilate.
Mature wine blends in your mouth, becomes "you" in the first instance, just slides with no other intention besides enjoying the ride.
Locard's principle will work wonders for me at the University.
And any person that will cross my way will bring me something new.
Loads of new stuff, gigantic fun!
And I can relax and just enjoy such a major path in my life :tongue:

Sounds like you had a very exciting life!!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Name: Shashwat Ganguly
College: St. Chad's (waiting for final decision)
Subject: MSc New and Renewable Energy
Offer (conditional/unconditional): conditional (need 6.5 score in IELTS)
Why Durham?: Good reputation, beautiful city and pretty good place to study the course I opted for.
Other: Hoping to have a great year in Durham and make amazing new friends :smile:
Original post by JPDub
Does that mean you can sort out accomodation if you get your results earlier, or will you still have to wait until the UK results day?

Everything is sorted after the A-Level results day when they know exactly who's going to each college. If you get your place you're guaranteed accomodation in college and you don't get a choice over where in college you live; you'll be sent some sort of form to fill in so they can decide who you live near/share with (if you opt to share). Then you just have to hope you get on with your room/corridor mates!
Reply 23
Hey, after I receiving an offer from Durham to study Chemistry F111, I would like to find someone to talk to about work opportunities at the university and financial support toward my living costs. Anyone willing for a discussion? I also have an unconditional offer from York so I need more information in order to make up my mind.
Reply 24
All accomodation stuff is sorted after results day, don't worry about it yet! No idea what the £250 deposit is...where did you see that?

That's what I thought, so I looked on the website and it said about having to pay £250 for a guarantee and it confused me :')
http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/accommodation/guarantee/
Reply 25
Original post by mcw6
That's what I thought, so I looked on the website and it said about having to pay £250 for a guarantee and it confused me :')

I think there is also an one-off fee for sports, above that
Reply 26
Name: Clara
College: Hatfield
Subject: International relations
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Unconditional
Why Durham?: It's so beautiful there! Tons of traditions too. The collegiate system sounds awesome ...I think it'll make it really easy to make lots of friends.
Other: American student :smile:
Original post by mcw6

That's for postgrads, if you're going to be an undergrad (which I assume you are) ignore that page. If you are actually going to be postgrad then I'm sure you'll be given more details soon enough.
Reply 28
Name: zahab
College: Collingwood
Subject: Chemistry
Offer (conditional/unconditional): A*AA
Why Durham?: The collegiate system. Reminds me of Hogwarts a bit. :P
Other: From Thailand!
Reply 29
Name: Sophie
College: applied for open and assigned van mildert
Subject: MSci Natural Sciences (Maths chemistry and biology)
Offer: Unconditional
Why Durham?: Because it was really good for the sciences and I stayed for a week for a chemistry residential and loved it. I just really liked the sciences buildings for some reason. Also I liked how small it is so you're close to everything and everyone and it's close to home, but not too close.
Other: I'm currently on a gap year and already have my A levels, so I'll definitely be there in October!
Reply 30
Name: Claire
College: Josephine Butler
Subject: Biology (Biological sciences with placement year)
Offer: Conditional AAB
Why Durham: LOVED the course structure from the beginning, wasn't too sure about Durham itself at first, but I was won over this week after the post app open day - it's so pretty :biggrin: really liked the collegiate system as well - made me feel like I was part of a huuuuge family after only a few hours.
Reply 31
That's for postgrads, if you're going to be an undergrad (which I assume you are) ignore that page. If you are actually going to be postgrad then I'm sure you'll be given more details soon enough.

ah right, thank you, it just wasn't made clear on the page.
Name: Michelle
College: St John's
Subject: Psychology
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional, offer is AA
Why Durham?: it looks amazing, the academic side is great and the people seem lovely :smile:

:smile:
Reply 33
Name: Lauren
College: Castle
Subject: Biological Sciences
Offer: Conditional AAB
Why Durham?: I loved the Biology course and fell in love with the city. Castle college is amazing, very similar to Hogwarts!
Reply 34
Name: Katie
College: St John's
Subject Biological Sciences
Offer-Unconditional
Why Durham? Hogwarts. Simples
Other-I applied last year, and got a conditional, but they wanted me to do an other subject at AS as well as my three A levels. My offer was AAB but even though I got AAA, i missed the AS (chemistry) by a couple of marks and didnt get in. I got into Kent through clearing, but my heart wasnt in it, so went for the gap year, re-applied and got an unconditional :biggrin: So second time LUCKKKKKAAAYYY! :biggrin:
Reply 35
College: Hatfield
Subject: Natural science
Offer: conditional on one AP (already took Bio, Calculus, Psyschology)
Why Durham? HOGWARTS. And I love the idea of college and university sports teams as I love to play football and waterpolo

Other: British citizen studying at an American prep school hence the US qualifications
Reply 36
College: Grey
Subject: Chemistry
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional A*AA
Why Durham?: Collegiate system and traditions, absolutely loved Grey college. Wide range of module options :colone: and one of the top Chemistry departments in the UK!
Other: So so excited to start in October!! (fingers crossed!)
Reply 37
College: Stephenson
Subject: Applied Psychology, be good to hear what others think of the course
Offer: ABB
Why Durham: the course looks perfect for me, and being the best uni that offers it, makes sense to come here.
Other: Feel free to get in contact if your looking at applied psych. or stephenson, though there doesn't seem to be many people going to Stockton on here!
Reply 38
Name: aditi
College: collingwood
Subject: Law!
Offer (conditional/unconditional): AAA, which i've made so i'm pretty thrilled (:
Why Durham?: coming from singapore and having lived in ldn before, i didn't want to get swept away by the ~romanticism~ of living there again and durham sounds perfect for this (: plus it's beautiful, and ranked insanely high - i can't wait!

any other collingwood kids here? (:
Reply 39
Original post by aditiravi
Name: aditi
College: collingwood
Subject: Law!
Offer (conditional/unconditional): AAA, which i've made so i'm pretty thrilled (:
Why Durham?: coming from singapore and having lived in ldn before, i didn't want to get swept away by the ~romanticism~ of living there again and durham sounds perfect for this (: plus it's beautiful, and ranked insanely high - i can't wait!

any other collingwood kids here? (:

I'm currently at Collingwood! Feel free to ask any questions.

Quick Reply

Latest