The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Freshers 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kristina_Lucy
Yes! University has just become even better! Ooh whereabouts in wales? I've got family who live in near cardiff I believe :smile:
And spooning is basically everyone in the hall banging their spoons on a table before the food is served at a formal - shocked was not the word when it started, I didn't know what was going on!
There is a facebook group, here's the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/252055114891192/257657550997615/?notif_t=group_activity
Loads of people on it already! And yes I'll be sure to buy a uke - I'll have to get practicing though!

I actually live 30 minutes away from Cardiff. It is such a small world! WOW! Do people buy special spoons just for the occasion? *laughs*
Thank you so much! I just joined it. I shall see you there, with your future uke...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by emilyjadethomas
I actually live 30 minutes away from Cardiff. It is such a small world! WOW! Do people buy special spoons just for the occasion? *laughs*
Thank you so much! I just joined it. I shall see you there, with your future uke...

Haha - just seen your quote on the oxbridge reject chat I started xD literally everyone I met at the open day was a fellow oxbridge reject - seems like a badge of honour now :smile: and I didn't see any special spoon...might impress everyone and turn up with a ladle though :smile:
Reply 102

I am soo buying a uke as well!! It shouldn't be too different from guitar, right?
Original post by JPDub
I am soo buying a uke as well!! It shouldn't be too different from guitar, right?

Definitely forming a uke band here :smile: unfortunately I've never even played a guitar before, so don't expect much from me :P I guess pianos and ukes aren't that similar...
Hey all! Anyone knows where to obtain the proportion of comprehensive/grammar school ratio students from Durham? Just out of curiosity :smile:
Reply 105
Definitely forming a uke band here :smile: unfortunately I've never even played a guitar before, so don't expect much from me :P I guess pianos and ukes aren't that similar...

I remember having to play ukes in grade 4 and 5 music :tongue: it's not at all difficult so our band should be rockin' in no time!
Original post by JPDub
I remember having to play ukes in grade 4 and 5 music :tongue: it's not at all difficult so our band should be rockin' in no time!

hahaa I didn't know you had grades for the uke! If our band decide they need a pianist as well, I'm willing to contribute!
Original post by JPDub

Please buy one! It will be fantastic. I don't think it is, infact it will probably be slightly easier to play. Four strings, less heavy, smaller etc.
Reply 108
hahaa I didn't know you had grades for the uke! If our band decide they need a pianist as well, I'm willing to contribute!

Haha I meant like our school music class :tongue: we would always play our lovely uke songs for remembrance day.
Reply 109
Please buy one! It will be fantastic. I don't think it is, infact it will probably be slightly easier to play. Four strings, less heavy, smaller etc.

Oh don't worry, I will definitely be showing up with one!

Can this be our first preformance?
Original post by JPDub
Oh don't worry, I will definitely be showing up with one!

Can this be our first preformance?

The link won't work! How about this as well? http://youtu.be/4mdUmjQV_5I :biggrin:
Reply 111
The link won't work! How about this as well? http://youtu.be/4mdUmjQV_5I :biggrin:

Yes, saw that on the facebook page! I'll just post the link there.
Reply 112
Finally made my decision and firmed Durham yesterday!

Name: Francesca
College: Hatfield
Subject: Spanish and Italian
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional - AAB
Why Durham?: Well, it's beautiful, I love the collegiate system and Hatfield was really fun and welcoming and I loved the spirit! And my course has some great modules and is quite flexible :smile: and it's far enough away from home, but I can still get home in a couple of hours on the train if needs be!

Any other mod langs/ hatfielders?
Reply 113
Original post by NavyBlueAndPearls
Don't let Eva (Senior Tutor) hear you call us 'Castle college'; 'Castle' or 'University College' only :smile: If you have any questions I'd be happy to help - I'm a Castle 2nd year atm. Congrats on getting in, fresh. Good luck in your exams and hopefully see you in October.

thank you :smile: is their a good social life at the University college then? I heard your not allowed to have drinking games or put anything on your bedroom walls
Original post by CescaRose
Finally made my decision and firmed Durham yesterday!

Name: Francesca
College: Hatfield
Subject: Spanish and Italian
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional - AAB
Why Durham?: Well, it's beautiful, I love the collegiate system and Hatfield was really fun and welcoming and I loved the spirit! And my course has some great modules and is quite flexible :smile: and it's far enough away from home, but I can still get home in a couple of hours on the train if needs be!

Any other mod langs/ hatfielders?

Another hatfielder here - I'm for physics though :smile: did you go to any of the open days?
Original post by lollijade
thank you :smile: is their a good social life at the University college then? I heard your not allowed to have drinking games or put anything on your bedroom walls

Yes, it's very good! Clubs in Durham are limited, but socials make it better, and there is always Newcastle!

Bedrooms = Standard uni rules - no bluetack, and depending upon where your room is be careful with the pins - holes in World Heritage Sites aren't great, but if you're polite to the cleaners you should be fine.

No drinking games? Who told you that?! Absolute utter rubbish.
Original post by JPDub
Unfortunately not. I live in Canada, and although my Dad was all for sending me to the open day (probably with the hopes of me hating England so I'd have to stay home :tongue:) I didn't want to fly 9 hours for only a few days. What's your favourite part about University College?

Awww! Your poor Dad! Don't worry, your parents soon get used to you not being there :smile:

What's my favorite part is a tricky question. There are so many brilliant things about Castle! The people are brilliant, and the ents are great, as it the reputation it has. June Ball is probably my favorite thing. Last year was probably the best night of my life. Some guys in college made this in the lead up to it last year: http://thegreatestnightofourlives.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/blog-post.html have a look, it is hilarious!
Original post by Lucyyy.
Firmed Durham last week!

Name: Lucy Olley
College: Van Mildert
Subject: Law
Offer: Conditional, A*AA
Why Durham? Loved the atmosphere, the old buildings, the college system, the course structure. Just loved it all really!

Anyone else in Mildert doing Law?

I am!!! I'm very excited for it and hopefully i'll meet the condition :smile:
Reply 118
Another hatfielder here - I'm for physics though :smile: did you go to any of the open days?

Ah, HI :smile:

Yeah I went to the second one in March, loved it so much!

Did you go to any?
Original post by CescaRose
Ah, HI :smile:

Yeah I went to the second one in March, loved it so much!

Did you go to any?

Yes I was there on the 19th/20th - loved it! All of the students were so friendly - especially enjoyed the formal! So impressed by the physics department too :smile: where else did you apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending