Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Durham Freshers 2012 Thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollijade)
    Thank you, I'm glad that you're allowed drinking games! was it hard leaving home? Durham for me is long way and I wont really be able to come home very often. I am worried about the distance and costings of getting home, I live an hour from London.

It's hard saying goodbye and hugging your parents on move-in day, but after that not at all. You do get 'bubble fever' a bit, Durham is so small it can feel claustrophobic at times, so it's common to go home once a term.

Trains (if booked in advance) are very reasonable. London Kings Cross (the place the train goes from) to Durham takes 3 hours and an advance ticket is about £30-£50. It's worth getting an account with them, they are cheaper than the train line, so long as you book well in advance. I live in Buckinghamshire so have to go in and then out of london (40 mins) too.

To be honest you are usually so busy you won't notice time slipping away anyway. I cannot believe I'm nearly in my final year! It feels so much quicker than VIth Form! You won't feel very homesick because the vast VAST majority of other people here are in the same position as you - in Castle this year I know (excluding the internationals) of 3 Midlanders, and 4 Northerners. EVERYONE else is from the South. So we're all in the same boat babe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name: Matt Patterson
    College: Stephenson!
    Subject: Direct Progression to Medicine
    Offer: Unconditional
    Why Durham: After looking around at all the uni's offering a widening access to medicine course, Durham stole the show. The website was really informative and appealing, the people I met when I went for interview were very friendly, and people I know who are there have given it excellent reviews!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Does anyone know what we should expect in reply to emails sent to the as12.reply@durham.ac.uk address? I've looked around and it seems there's no reply to be expected, but will they send more info? or as i'm an unconditional now, will i have to wait until august when everyone else is getting results before i get any info?

sorry that's not very coherent! i hope someone can help!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canŵio)
    Hey,

Does anyone know what we should expect in reply to emails sent to the as12.reply@durham.ac.uk address? I've looked around and it seems there's no reply to be expected, but will they send more info? or as i'm an unconditional now, will i have to wait until august when everyone else is getting results before i get any info?

sorry that's not very coherent! i hope someone can help!
    You probably won't hear anything until August now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name: Nandita
    College: Collingwood
    Subject: Law
    Offer: AAB
    Why Durham: The place is lovely, and it seems like a really reputable university. A perfectly "english" experience. To be honest though, I haven't entirely made up my mind between Durham and Notts. I'm a little worried about the diversity - it seems Durham is pretty homogenous (what I got from other forums, not that forums are the most reliable thing), and I would prefer to meet people from all walks of life.

Anyone can shed light on this matter? Whether my fears are unfounded, or there really is a variety of people at Durham. Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nandisuria)
    Name: Nandita
    College: Collingwood
    Subject: Law
    Offer: AAB
    Why Durham: The place is lovely, and it seems like a really reputable university. A perfectly "english" experience. To be honest though, I haven't entirely made up my mind between Durham and Notts. I'm a little worried about the diversity - it seems Durham is pretty homogenous (what I got from other forums, not that forums are the most reliable thing), and I would prefer to meet people from all walks of life.

Anyone can shed light on this matter? Whether my fears are unfounded, or there really is a variety of people at Durham. Thanks
    What do you mean by variety? There are lots of international students from a huge variety of countries, lots of British students who have lived abroad/have family abroad/travelled a lot so have had a range of experiences, and British students from all over the UK. There are over 100 societies so people are definitely into a huge variety of things

Also I don't think the difference in middle-class intake is very different between Nottingham and Durham, it's not like you're comparing Durham to one of the new universities in London which has large numbers of working-class and Muslim students.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undergradstudent)
    What do you mean by variety? There are lots of international students from a huge variety of countries, lots of British students who have lived abroad/have family abroad/travelled a lot so have had a range of experiences, and British students from all over the UK. There are over 100 societies so people are definitely into a huge variety of things

Also I don't think the difference in middle-class intake is very different between Nottingham and Durham, it's not like you're comparing Durham to one of the new universities in London which has large numbers of working-class and Muslim students.
    Hi thanks so much for your reply Yeap, I definitely don't doubt that interest-wise and activities-wise, people are into a whole load of things. I was asking more about the ethnicity of people. I understand it would definitely be a lot less international than say London schools, or big cities like Manchester. Just wanna know if there's still a solid group of ethnic people around (pakistanis, indians, arabs, etc. these are just the ones off the top of my head!!) Thanks again!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nandisuria)
    Hi thanks so much for your reply Yeap, I definitely don't doubt that interest-wise and activities-wise, people are into a whole load of things. I was asking more about the ethnicity of people. I understand it would definitely be a lot less international than say London schools, or big cities like Manchester. Just wanna know if there's still a solid group of ethnic people around (pakistanis, indians, arabs, etc. these are just the ones off the top of my head!!) Thanks again!
    Oh right. Well there are lots of international students from Pakistan, India, etc.
    There are some home students too from those ethnic minorities - not loads - but all the ones I know are British born/British in culture and therefore behave the same way as white British people so apart from having darker skin, they're just the same . I'm sure there are some British Pakistani and British Indian students who are more multicultural and are Muslim/Hindu/etc but all the ethnic minority British students who I know have the same culture as the white British students.

So basically - lots of international students from different countries; if you're asking whether there is physical (skin colour) diversity in British students then yes but the majority are white, if you're asking whether there is cultural/religious/etc diversity amongst the British students then yes (there's an Islamic society etc) but much less so than the physical image of British students would suggest. However it's not like there's any chance of anyone being the only non-white student!

Which subject are you doing? There are a lot, lot more international students from Pakistan, India, China etc doing business, accounting and economics degrees than doing History or English Lit degrees.

I hope that makes sense - I'm not too sure on the ethnicity/race difference in definitions so not sure if you're asking what people look like or what their culture is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    College: prolly stephenson (or maybe mezzino)
    Subject: Accounting and finance
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): AB
    Why Durham?: good reputation
    Other:

seems like im the only one applying for accounting and finance in this thread?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Name: ;Laura
    College: Van Mildert
    Subject:German and ab initio Russian
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): AAB
    Why Durham?: Really liked the course, and like the college system.
    Other:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Name: Jack
    College: St Aidan's.
    Subject: Natural Sciences (Maths/Physics/Geography)
    Offer (conditional/unconditional): A*AA
    Why Durham?: To be really cheesy, it just felt like home when I went for the first time, despite the freezing weather! The course suits me down to the ground and the applicant days were incredible, it really feels like they have gone the extra mile and I like their efforts.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name: Daniel
    College: Josephine Butler
    Subject: Philosophy
    Offer: Conditional AAA
    Why Durham?: It seems like a really nice location, college system is good, the course modules for philosophy are very interesting.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    Name: Daniel
    College: Josephine Butler
    Subject: Philosophy
    Offer: Conditional AAA
    Why Durham?: It seems like a really nice location, college system is good, the course modules for philosophy are very interesting.
    Fantastic choice!

Are there any particular areas of philosophy you like or enjoy?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    Fantastic choice!

Are there any particular areas of philosophy you like or enjoy?
    I like ethics, particularly meta-ethics, and the philosophy of religion. Yourself?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    I like ethics, particularly meta-ethics, and the philosophy of religion. Yourself?
    Ethics!

I actually just finished my philosophy degree and spent most of my time doing normative ethics. Are you familiar with Peter Singer, Peter Unger or Jeff McMahan? Or do you prefer more modern (i.e. Kant, Locke, Mill) ethics rather than contemporary?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    Ethics!

I actually just finished my philosophy degree and spent most of my time doing normative ethics. Are you familiar with Peter Singer, Peter Unger or Jeff McMahan? Or do you prefer more modern (i.e. Kant, Locke, Mill) ethics rather than contemporary?
    Well I'm more familiar with the modern philosophers you mentioned, specifically Kant and Locke. Although if you're recommending Singer, Unger and McMahan then I'll look them up. Have you read any Simon Blackburn? His introduction to ethics is what got me into that branch of philosophy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    College: University
    Subject: Computer Science
    Offer: Conditional AAB
    Why Durham?: I loved the city and general atmosphere and the collegiate system. Also, I wanna live in a Castle! :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! I have also firmed Hatfield and I just really hope I make my points because Durham seems so amazing! What university have you guys put down as your insurance?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Name: Chris
    College: St. Chad's
    Subject: MSc Defence, Development, and Diplomacy
    Why Durham?: A bunch of things, but 1) I liked the look of it from my first time on the website, 2) the MSc looks great, and 3) collegiate life seems similar to my Greek life experience during undergrad. Couldn't refuse, really.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CNUkid)
    Name: Chris
    College: St. Chad's
    Subject: MSc Defence, Development, and Diplomacy
    Why Durham?: A bunch of things, but 1) I liked the look of it from my first time on the website, 2) the MSc looks great, and 3) collegiate life seems similar to my Greek life experience during undergrad. Couldn't refuse, really.
    Your location says Virginia -- You don't happen to be at UVa, do you?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.