The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Freshers 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Name: Rob
College: John Snow (Mezzino accommodation)
Subject: Accounting and Finance
Offer (conditional/unconditional): ABB
Why Durham?: Close to family and friends
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by undergradstudent
What do you mean by a legal advice centre? There's a big law society and they do pro bono projects (there's one where they look into cases for people who've been in prison for a really long time and still say they are innocent).

If you google 'durham law society' you should find their website and if it's not clear definitely email the president or another relevant committee member, I'm sure the details will be on their website. :smile:

Hey, thank you for your reply again :smile: I've been looking it up, and they have various really good law societies but not a Legal Advice Centre! (A system where law students can give the public basic legal advice -- under pro-bono I believe)

Ill contact the law students there in any case, thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by nandisuria
Hey, thank you for your reply again :smile: I've been looking it up, and they have various really good law societies but not a Legal Advice Centre! (A system where law students can give the public basic legal advice -- under pro-bono I believe)

Ill contact the law students there in any case, thanks for your help :smile:

There's a citizens advice bureau in Durham (as in a government one) so you may be able to volunteer there and I would guess that the law society won't have a legal advice centre because there is already a CAB.

The CAB may only accept volunteers who are in Durham all year round though (ie not just in term time).
Reply 163
Many people doing geography? I have a friend who is and hes buuuuuuuuuuuuuzzin :biggrin:

Anyone else staying at Trevs college?
Original post by ps.
many people doing geography? I have a friend who is and hes buuuuuuuuuuuuuzzin :d

anyone else staying at trevs college?

im doing geography and im buzzing too :d
Name: Poppy
College: Stephenson
Subject: Psychology (Ap)
Offer (conditional/unconditional): ABB
Reply 166
Original post by JPDub
Virginia is gorgeous!! My mom went to Liberty, which I hear is pretty well regarded in religious circles.. :colondollar: you would never know now that she went to private, christian schools all her life. :tongue:

Yes ma'am, Virginia can be pretty spectacular! I take it you've been there? And yeah, Liberty's one of the bigger Christian/evangelical Christian schools in the country.
Reply 167
Original post by CNUkid
Yes ma'am, Virginia can be pretty spectacular! I take it you've been there? And yeah, Liberty's one of the bigger Christian/evangelical Christian schools in the country.

No, I have only seen pictures. Liberty actually put my mom off of religion after she graduated :tongue:
Reply 168
Original post by JPDub
No, I have only seen pictures. Liberty actually put my mom off of religion after she graduated :tongue:

Haha, I mean the town it's in is nice. I know exactly what you mean when you say that least bit, though. :tongue:
Reply 169
English Lit is in UCAS Extra?!
Original post by lozvegas
English Lit is in UCAS Extra?!

I very much doubt it. It's almost definitely a mistake, they happen a lot with extra.

EDIT - the ucas course search isn't saying it's in extra...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 171
Original post by undergradstudent
I very much doubt it. It's almost definitely a mistake, they happen a lot with extra.

EDIT - the ucas course search isn't saying it's in extra...

They changed it :biggrin:
They changed it :biggrin:

:lolwut: what are you talking about?
Reply 173
Name : Manshreya
college: St Aidens
subject: Psychology
offer: conditional. 85% above best of four subjects
why durham: 3rd best university,wonderful environment, beautiful place!!
Reply 174
Original post by Photox
Name: Jamie
College: St Aidens
Subject: Natural Sciences
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional, A*AA
Why Durham?: Because it's a beautiful place, a world best university, a top 3 British university, and just excellent in everyway
Other: Can't study Chemistry due to circumstances surrounding my application, doesn't bother me, I'm a physicist :3

Hey Jamie! Guess well meet at St Aidens!! Where are you from??
Reply 175
Original post by laughylolly
I think I'm firming it... I haven't officially firmed it yet but after I've been to the open day next week I shall make up my mind. I shall post anyways.

Name: Lauren
College: St. Aidan's
Subject: Mathematics!
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional (AAA at Advanced Higher)
Why Durham?: I never really wanted to go to a big city for university but I didn't want to be in the middle of no where either. Durham I think is just the right balance. I think that I'd be able to have a good balance of work/studying and social time there. It's old and pretty but yet it's very new in parts too. It has traditions and even though I didn't apply to one of the more formal colleges I hope that I'd still be able to experience some of the traditions. I was in Durham last summer for a Maths course and I just loved the place. I could see myself living there for 3-4 years and enjoying myself. I think that's probably the most important thing. I haven't visited the college I applied to. When I visited in the summer I stayed at Grey college so I have a general idea of what the hill colleges are like I guess. I just hope that I do like my college when I go and visit next week!

hey lauren! I got into St Aidans as well!! I havent got a chance to visit the college but im planning to visit soon...I would love to hear your views on st.Aidans as you have already visited!
Reply 176
Original post by Stir fried Giblets
EEEEEE I'M DEAD EXCITED! :biggrin:

Name: Emily
College: Saint Aidan's, anyone?
Subject: Biological Sciences with industrial placement
Offer (conditional/unconditional): Conditional
Why Durham?: Close to home, really pretty, giving me loadsa monies.
Other: Lowered offer because I did an assessed project with 'em last year :smile:

Hey Emily!! I got into St.Aidans as well!!! You seem super excited!! i am too..would love to know your experience at Aidans!
Original post by Manshreya
hey lauren! I got into St Aidans as well!! I havent got a chance to visit the college but im planning to visit soon...I would love to hear your views on st.Aidans as you have already visited!

Hey, congrats! Well Aidan's is lovelly. It's newer but this comes with the benefit that the rooms are all really nice and new. All the pupils that were showing us around etc. were all really friendly and it was just a nice atmosphere. Dinning hall is pretty spectacular. It's not really THAT far from the centre of Durham and it's less than a 5 minute walk to the science department. I really enjoyed the open day. I just hope I get the grades to get in now!
Reply 178
Original post by Brand New Eyes
:lolwut: what are you talking about?

English Lit at Durham was showing up as available on UCAS Extra for a short period of time, but it has now been changed and says the course is full.
English Lit at Durham was showing up as available on UCAS Extra for a short period of time, but it has now been changed and says the course is full.

It's back now. its really strange. so many courses are in extra. even PPE

Quick Reply

Latest