Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Product Design and Manufacture?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helen-a-ravenclaw
We should be able to do it!

A friend of mine was going to come to Notts to do PDM, but he's chosen Loughborough over Notts. :frown: I tried to convince him otherwise but to no avail.

Safety in numbers against the Mech-Eng-ers!

pfff some people eh :rolleyes:

Do you know if many of our 1st year lecture and classes will be just PDM-ers?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by TheBrownTown
pfff some people eh :rolleyes:

Do you know if many of our 1st year lecture and classes will be just PDM-ers?

I know!

Hm, I'm not sure. There will probably be quite a few lectures with just Engineers in general, as a lot of the modules are shared between the courses.

I think we have a couple of modules specific to our course, where there will only be the 30 of us there. That'll be odd. Going from a 300-strong lecture to a 30 person class. Haha.

Anyway, i'm off to Bristol now for the weekend so I won't be on. Keep a look out for more PDM-ers!
I know!

Hm, I'm not sure. There will probably be quite a few lectures with just Engineers in general, as a lot of the modules are shared between the courses.

I think we have a couple of modules specific to our course, where there will only be the 30 of us there. That'll be odd. Going from a 300-strong lecture to a 30 person class. Haha.

Anyway, i'm off to Bristol now for the weekend so I won't be on. Keep a look out for more PDM-ers!

Will do, have fun in Bristol while I revise :rolleyes:
Will do, have fun in Bristol while I revise :rolleyes:

Ah Bristol was knackering.

But still, 5 months tomorrow till Notts starts! ;D
Ah Bristol was knackering.

But still, 5 months tomorrow till Notts starts! ;D

Just found out that a good friend of mine is gonna be in Hugh Stewart! So I'll be close to him as well
Just found out that a good friend of mine is gonna be in Hugh Stewart! So I'll be close to him as well

Oh! That is cool! It's all coming together so quickly. If only Notts could make September come faster as well.

What's he going to be studying then?
Oh! That is cool! It's all coming together so quickly. If only Notts could make September come faster as well.

What's he going to be studying then?

He's doing European politics, he was a good friend in primary school but we went to different secondary schools, we have still kept in touch though. I have another friend doing business who should get his accomm offer soon (UP campus) but he might not manage the grades cos he didn't do all that well in January. I'm glad I'll have people I know, although I'm still gonna make a big effort to make other friends!
He's doing European politics, he was a good friend in primary school but we went to different secondary schools, we have still kept in touch though. I have another friend doing business who should get his accomm offer soon (UP campus) but he might not manage the grades cos he didn't do all that well in January. I'm glad I'll have people I know, although I'm still gonna make a big effort to make other friends!

That's cool that you'll know someone who's already going then.

Well freshers week should be pretty fun for making friends. Loads of events during the day and at night. Can't wait for the fancy dress theme nights as well! That'll be awesome.

Oh! What laptop are you taking for the course by the way?
That's cool that you'll know someone who's already going then.

Well freshers week should be pretty fun for making friends. Loads of events during the day and at night. Can't wait for the fancy dress theme nights as well! That'll be awesome.

Oh! What laptop are you taking for the course by the way?

Good question, I'm getting a new laptop for my birthday in June so I'll have a new one then. This one has caught my eye: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Fujitsu_Lifebook_AH531_2nd_Gen_Core_i3_Windows_7_Laptop_VFY_AH531MP505GB/version.asp it has a nice graphics card for a laptop which is important, but I'll probably change my mind by June
Good question, I'm getting a new laptop for my birthday in June so I'll have a new one then. This one has caught my eye: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Fujitsu_Lifebook_AH531_2nd_Gen_Core_i3_Windows_7_Laptop_VFY_AH531MP505GB/version.asp it has a nice graphics card for a laptop which is important, but I'll probably change my mind by June

That looks like a good laptop!

I can't wait for the start of second year where we learn how to do designs on computer software. Apparently it's a busy 3 months, as you have a project in each program but at the end of it you can do some really cool designs and vectors.
That looks like a good laptop!

I can't wait for the start of second year where we learn how to do designs on computer software. Apparently it's a busy 3 months, as you have a project in each program but at the end of it you can do some really cool designs and vectors.

Yeah that sounds really good, I have very limited ability in that kind of stuff right now. Do you think they'll teach us some 2D design software as well like Photoshop?
Yeah that sounds really good, I have very limited ability in that kind of stuff right now. Do you think they'll teach us some 2D design software as well like Photoshop?

I think they will. It's not a mandatory thing to have Product Design/similiar at a-level so I think they'll assume that most people have limited/no knowledge of the design programs.

From what I can remember from the visit day... one of the 2nd year tour guides said that you do learn how to use Photoshop for your designs, so that'll be cool. :smile: And I think you learn how to use Photoshop for 3d, as well as 2d.
I think they will. It's not a mandatory thing to have Product Design/similiar at a-level so I think they'll assume that most people have limited/no knowledge of the design programs.

From what I can remember from the visit day... one of the 2nd year tour guides said that you do learn how to use Photoshop for your designs, so that'll be cool. :smile: And I think you learn how to use Photoshop for 3d, as well as 2d.

Ok that's good. It's useful to know Photoshop, I can kind of use it but it'll be cool to be really good at it, same with 3D. Do you know if they give you copies of these programs or will we have to buy them ourselves? Obviously there are computers in the room for the designing but it'd still be convenient to have them on my laptop
Ok that's good. It's useful to know Photoshop, I can kind of use it but it'll be cool to be really good at it, same with 3D. Do you know if they give you copies of these programs or will we have to buy them ourselves? Obviously there are computers in the room for the designing but it'd still be convenient to have them on my laptop

You get given a licence for all the programs that get used on your course, so that you can put them onto your laptop.

Otherwise the computer rooms would never have any room in them!
You get given a licence for all the programs that get used on your course, so that you can put them onto your laptop.

Otherwise the computer rooms would never have any room in them!

Nice, that's very useful
Nice, that's very useful

Do you watch Sherlock? (Otherwise this next bit might seem a bit weird)

But one of our lecturers next year is called Richard Brooks!
Do you watch Sherlock? (Otherwise this next bit might seem a bit weird)

But one of our lecturers next year is called Richard Brooks!

I do it's great! But I'm terrible at remembering names from films or TV so that doesn't mean much to me lol
I do it's great! But I'm terrible at remembering names from films or TV so that doesn't mean much to me lol

Ah! Richard Brooks is the name Moriarty used to try and convince the world that Sherlock had 'hired' him to play the part of the super criminal.
Ah! Richard Brooks is the name Moriarty used to try and convince the world that Sherlock had 'hired' him to play the part of the super criminal.

Oh yeah! It's been a while since I watched that but it definitely rings a bell. It's gonna be pretty cool to learn from a super criminal, I wonder if he'll teach us a few tricks of the trade?
Oh yeah! It's been a while since I watched that but it definitely rings a bell. It's gonna be pretty cool to learn from a super criminal, I wonder if he'll teach us a few tricks of the trade?

Haha! That would be quite cool.

I'm going to have to resist asking if he's Moriarty though...

Just under 5 months now! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending