Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
x

Unlock these great extras with your FREE membership

• One-on-one advice about results day and Clearing
  • Free access to our personal statement wizard
  • Customise TSR to suit how you want to use it

CRB Check - Has anyone had problems with a caution?

Announcements Posted on
Find your uni forum to get talking to other applicants, existing students and your future course-mates 27-07-2015
Win top prizes in our mega results day giveaway... 24-07-2015
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivora66)
    Hi I was offered a contract for a teaching post 2 weeks ago after working on supply at a school for 8 months. However the new head of 1 month has now took the contract away and took the supply post off me as there is a section 39 caution on my CRB from July 2013- is this legal or ethical ?
    A quick Google suggests Section 39 covers assault, so yes, it was both legal and 'ethical' assuming by that you mean what educators do these checks for. You are likely to struggle to get any job in education with a report of assault in a DBS return unless it is very, very old.
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steve1927)
    Hi there I received a simple caution my girlfriend works as a foster carer and now with this simple caution hanging over me would I be able to live with her if she worked with adults . Would be most grateful for any advise because this is affecting us both. I don't live with my girlfriend but we would like to one day sooner rather than later thou. Any advise would be great thank you .
    You need to check what the rules are about the household of employees. Some jobs - and from memory I think it is working with children under the age of 8, not sure any adults, even if vulnerable, are included - require all householders to be checked as well. There is a lot of debate if this is a law that is going to survive, it does seem to take things beyond the realm of the reasonable.

However, the fostering is likely to be much more of an issue. It will depend what the caution was for, but it might well be an issue.
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hi can anyone give me some info 5 years ago I had a caution . Mortified I put myself into that position . i was depressed at the time and I no why now . But the guilt still lives we me . But I'm a loving caring person that wants to help people young or old but this horrible thing that happened to me is stopping me applying for the job that I live to do . From what I've read it's going to show up on a enhanced . I will tell them but the embarrassment is stopping me . Wrong place wrong time . But today I've decided to go for it . I have so much to give . If it's meant to be then hopefully it will all work out x
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me my first time on here . 😀 thankyou
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillydally28)
    Can anyone help me my first time on here . 😀 thankyou
    What was the caution for..? it all depends on what its fo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hi David, do you know where I might be able to access this list of cautions that can be removed? I have a caution for 'battery'. It sounds horrible and is a result of a stupid drunkern evening. This happened in 2009. I work in a nursery at the moment, I have applied for a couple of jobs in schools and haven't heard back. I would like to eventually train as a teacher but I'm wondering if i'll be rejected as there'll be lots of other applicants without a criminal record?

Kind regards
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicky31)
    Hi David, do you know where I might be able to access this list of cautions that can be removed? I have a caution for 'battery'. It sounds horrible and is a result of a stupid drunkern evening. This happened in 2009. I work in a nursery at the moment, I have applied for a couple of jobs in schools and haven't heard back. I would like to eventually train as a teacher but I'm wondering if i'll be rejected as there'll be lots of other applicants without a criminal record?

Kind regards
    Google

Posted from TSR Mobile
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Google hasn't helped
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicky31)
    Google hasn't helped
    Was the first result... Ur google game is weak brah.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...l-record-check

Posted from TSR Mobile
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    hi how do i go about getting my convictions removed- ive been working at my job for nearly 6 years but now i need a liecene for gaming -my crb came back with pasted conviction over 26 years ago -im to worried and imbarrested to go into work.

kind regards HH
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David Wacks)
    Dear all,

Further to my reply, it may well be that a caution is now filtered off if more than 6 years old and not on the list of serious offences which will not be filtered off.
    The law was changed on 29 May last. When they published a list of 700+ offences which would not be filtered off. However, without publicity, the list was reduced to about 250 offences seemingly increasing the number of people who would not be affected but, there is a further list not yet published which could mean that the caution would still be mentioned – it is vital, therefore to make specific enquiries with an experts or the DBS specifically asking if a specific offence to which you were cautions is or is not filtered off.
    if it is not filtered off. However, it is possible – but not certain – that some cautions cannot be removed on individual application

Anyone with specific enquiries, please let me know and I will see if I can clarify this for you.

Regards

David Wacks

Hello.3 years ago i was caught shoplifting in marsh&spencer in ealing broadway,london uk,on 10th,may . On that day i had a quarrel with my parents over money and in a state of unclear mind i wanted to disgrace them, so i convicted this first offence. I took socks and underwear and children sticker from other store but wasn't caught and then i went to M&S, i took food, which cost 15pounds and left the store without paying for it. the store manager stopped me and called the police who then noted down my identity information & fingerprint. They didn't take me to the police station but gave me a police caution and locked my information on the CRB or DBS check. I paid a penalty of 80 pounds(PND) for the convicted offence . I told them i was an international student from southeast asia, so they didn't inform the incident to my university as it was a minor offence. After that incident, I could still continue my study in the uk and when my exam was over i went back to my country and returned back to london after 1 months to attend my friend's wedding,and after that returned back to my country untill now. I have stay clean ever since. I didnt get arrested or put on jail. Does it classify as a crime conviction? Does that mean i already hold a criminal record in uk ?Can i still go back to uk after 3 years?Does this affect me when applying for visa to enter Canada or other nation for studying abroad as well as working abroad? Does it still show up on my CRB/ DBS check? how can i ask for the removal if it still show up?or should i declare about it at the canada embassy when applying for study permit ?I have reached 24 years old now, I know what i have done is very silly, stupid,n immature at the age of 21, i didnt count the consequences that i could face. im very worry if this will affect my further future education in canada. Please give me an advice. Thank you so much!
  12. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, was Just wondering I am going to hopefully be studying Primary Education at university to become a teacher and just wanted to know whether my DBS Check has to cover both the adult barred list and child barred list? I have an enhanced DBS that covers the child barred list, would this be ok? Thank you

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 31, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you consider Clearing if you missed your offer?
Results and Clearing

Results are coming...

No sweat. Here's all you need to make sure you're ready

new on tsr

What's your life ambition?

Graduating, travelling, owning a business?

Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
x

Think you'll be in clearing or adjustment?

Hear direct from unis that want to talk to you

Get email alerts for university course places that match your subjects and grades. Just let us know what you're studying.

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.