The Student Room Group

Where does the FT get their MiM employment statistics from? Are they reliable?

I ask because it is a LOT of money we're going to end up spending, and I don't want to end up in debt and unemployed.
Reply 1
I believe it's from alumni themselves. However, a word of caution - the salaries are adjusted for various factors so the final number often doesn't mean much. A nice article about it: The Strange Math In The FT Ranking
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chaaalieboy
I ask because it is a LOT of money we're going to end up spending, and I don't want to end up in debt and unemployed.

From online surveys completed by the schools and students that graduated three years ago, so the 2011 ranking is based on the students who graduated in 2008. A 20% alumni response rate is sufficient for the school to be eligible. The alumni response make up for 6 out the 16 different criterias: weighted salary (US$), value for money, careers, aims achieved (per cent), placement success and international mobility.

Specifically for the Employment figure, if you hover your mouse over the Employment figure you will see a number in brackets, that represents the percentage of the class for which the school was able to provide employment data. So for St. Gallen (1st), 100% of 77% of the class that provided data were in employement after 3 months. For Essec Business school (8th), 89% of 53% of the class that provided date were in employement after 3 months.
Reply 3
Original post by Chaaalieboy

1. Take a look at the publisher of the rankings.
Financial Times, Guardian, The Times, Business Week - all have their rankings. Newspapers want to be sold and special issues such as MBA rankings perfectly serve this need. Finding the right school is an individual process. I would consider their suggestions but not make my decision upon it. Treat it as list rather than a ranking.

2. Statistical data such as salary or employment after graduation aren´t useful indicators for the "right" decision.
SALARY:
We don´t know where these graduates are living now, therefore, we can´t judge whether the salary is high or just enough to live. Take St. Gallen in Switzerland as an example. The salary listed in the FT ranking is impressive but everyone who has visited Switzerland understands what these numbers mean. Would they work outside of Switzerland they wouldn´t earn the same.
EMPLOYMENT:
We also don´t know what made graduates from a certain school get their job. How do we know it´s because of the degree from that school? Recruiters aren´t just looking for degree holders but for people with skills, a certain mindset and personality, etc. Last but not least, I know people who are not looking for a job right after graduation at all. They want to spend some time to chill or travel before starting with the serious things in life. All of them would appear as jobless and unsuccessful graduates regardless of their aims.

Trust yourself mate and good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by lego
I believe it's from alumni themselves. However, a word of caution - the salaries are adjusted for various factors so the final number often doesn't mean much. A nice article about it: The Strange Math In The FT Ranking

They weren't exactly clear about WHICH country they're comparing everything to with the salaries. Is it the UK, the US? London? New York? 65kUSD in New York is nothing, but in Middle America you's be living like a king. I imagine the comparison between London and the rest of the UK is similar.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending