The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Took up UCL offer.. good choice?

Hey well.. i got the following offers for computer science..

Imperial: AAAaa
UCL: AAB+pass at AS subject
KCL: ABB
Warwick: AAB+b at AS
York: AAAaa

and well i chose UCL over imperial.. ive spent a couple of days at imperial in my friend's room and i didnt like the atmosphere.. the people there are too into their work and stuff.. and that doesnt suit me since im the party kind of guy and stuff... Plus, UCL has a better social aspect (im guessing) and has a good academic one as well.. so i hope i made the right choice.

What do you guys think? feedback..
Reply 1
viva italia2
Hey well.. i got the following offers for computer science..

Imperial: AAAaa
UCL: AAB+pass at AS subject
KCL: ABB
Warwick: AAB+b at AS
York: AAAaa

and well i chose UCL over imperial.. ive spent a couple of days at imperial in my friend's room and i didnt like the atmosphere.. the people there are too into their work and stuff.. and that doesnt suit me since im the party kind of guy and stuff... Plus, UCL has a better social aspect (im guessing) and has a good academic one as well.. so i hope i made the right choice.

What do you guys think? feedback..

Well, we can't really tell you if it's exactly the right choice for you, but I'd say that considering you based your decision on having actually visited the uni, then it's probably a fairly good choice.

I think UCL looks great and you're right about a good academic aspect, so I think you should be happy with your decision.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
First of all, congratulations! I think that you've made a good choice, however obviously I would be a little biased. However, we do have an excellent social life and have a decent mix of work and play (perhaps a little too much playing! :p: ), plus we've got a wonderful mix of students - I guess the advantage of UCL over somewhere like Imperial is that it's a multi-dsiciplinary faculty, so you have people who do all sorts - it just adds to the flavour of the University. Anyhows, I'm sure you'll find this all out when you come here. :wink:

Also, UCL have recently built a new Computer Science building which is very plush, and has excellent facilities, so hopefully you'll enjoy the department as well. :smile:

Just a question? Why did you get 5 grade offers from Imperial, etc? Just seems a little odd to me. :confused:
Reply 3
i didnt get offer for 5 A's at A level.. its 3 A's at A level and 2 A's at AS.. Plus.. i already completed an A level last year (my computing A level) in one year.. so i guess they thought id slack off this year if they gave me an offer for the 2 A levels im doing..

Anyways.. i also liked UCL coz they sent me their offer 2 weeks after i completed my UCAS.. in early November.. which i think means that they liked something about my application.. and im sure its not the grades.. because my predicted grades arent great (im lazy at mid years and stuff hehe) or my references coz they suck! so maybe its something about my personal essay that they liked.

By the way.. what are you studying at UCL?
Reply 4
Also .. one more question.. do you guys have lots of parties and stuff? :P coz im a pretty good DJ hehe.. ive applied to dj in Paragon when i visited london this year.. and they said theyd take me so thatd be some extra money to make up for all the extra costs of london hehe
viva italia2
i didnt get offer for 5 A's at A level.. its 3 A's at A level and 2 A's at AS.. Plus.. i already completed an A level last year (my computing A level) in one year.. so i guess they thought id slack off this year if they gave me an offer for the 2 A levels im doing..

Anyways.. i also liked UCL coz they sent me their offer 2 weeks after i completed my UCAS.. in early November.. which i think means that they liked something about my application.. and im sure its not the grades.. because my predicted grades arent great (im lazy at mid years and stuff hehe) or my references coz they suck! so maybe its something about my personal essay that they liked.

By the way.. what are you studying at UCL?

I'm currently a second year Maths student, but I have a little insight into the CS department as I'm doing a course in Financial Computing this term in that department. :smile:
viva italia2
Also .. one more question.. do you guys have lots of parties and stuff? :P coz im a pretty good DJ hehe.. ive applied to dj in Paragon when i visited london this year.. and they said theyd take me so thatd be some extra money to make up for all the extra costs of london hehe

Yes, we have a lot of parties and stuff, so I'm sure that there are opportunities for you to DJ - perhaps the Union may hire you for some of their nights, but I don't know. Also, it's really cool that you're going to DJ at Paragon - good for you! :top:
Reply 7
Cool can you tell me a bit about the people in UCL and stuff?
viva italia2
Cool can you tell me a bit about the people in UCL and stuff?

Um, it's difficult to sum people up in general as you do obviously get such a mix, but I'll try: UCL students are generally diverse, cosmopolitan, hip (we were voted the hippest Uni in the UK by Vogue!), interesting and intelligent.
Reply 9
Angel Interceptor
we were voted the hippest Uni in the UK by Vogue!

:eek: I didn't know that! When was that stated? That's quite a title.
Reply 10
hehe well i cant wait!

im not worried about getting an A in maths but im worried about the B in physics.. im seriously getting raped with the synoptic/synthesis papers..
Ludivine
:eek: I didn't know that! When was that stated? That's quite a title.

I can't remember when, but it was at least 15 months ago. :smile:
Reply 12
Angel Interceptor
I can't remember when, but it was at least 15 months ago. :smile:

Or some 60 months..

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:VyuxYNqoXdcJ:www.uclunion.org/students_union/students_union/general_info/marketing/Widen_Your_Reach%2520web0405.pdf+Vogue+hippest+university+UK&hl=sv&gl=se&ct=clnk&cd=1

ctrl+f "vogue"

or, i quote: "Vogue magazine voted UCL London hippest college (2001)"

:smile:

May I ask, why "UCL London"? Like... University College London London.
jb_sweden
Or some 60 months..

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:VyuxYNqoXdcJ:www.uclunion.org/students_union/students_union/general_info/marketing/Widen_Your_Reach%2520web0405.pdf+Vogue+hippest+university+UK&hl=sv&gl=se&ct=clnk&cd=1

ctrl+f "vogue"

or, i quote: "Vogue magazine voted UCL London hippest college (2001)"

:smile:

May I ask, why "UCL London"? Like... University College London London.

I have no idea why they said UCL London - perhaps that's a misquote on the site. Seems silly to me. Anyhows, I need to get back to being :cool:.
I think they meant the hippest London college is UCL.
yeah because people on this forum are going to tell you you made the wrong decision :rolleyes:
Reply 16
BloodyValentine
yeah because people on this forum are going to tell you you made the wrong decision :rolleyes:

Exactly. If s/he wants reassurance this is the place to be... :wink:
Reply 17
viva italia2
Hey UCL: AAB+pass at AS subject
QUOTE]

Hmmm u got an offer of AAB for cs? I went there for interview/open day and there they told us the normal offer was ABB which is what I got :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending