The Student Room Group

What if Messi chose Spain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jordan_1
Oh wow, a ****ty cup which Barca didn't care about what so ever... How many other wins they had against barca these past 3 years? Loool Wuuuut???

Barca care about it now, what happens if they get knocked out of the champions league? Then they'll turn up for the final vs bilbao. In fact the copa del ray has grown in stature since last season tbh.
Original post by facdroit
How many penalties has Ronaldo scored this season?
And how many opposition players were red carded against real madrid so far in la liga?
Hint both numbers are double digit.

Wait, why are we even talking about Real Madrid? All I said is that they're 10 points clear, which they are.

Also, penalties take skill. Ask Messi, he'll confirm that.

Anyway, shush. This thread isn't about Madrid. It's about 'If Messi chose Spain'.
Any team would be better with Messi in it, I dont understand this thread.
Original post by Lefty_P
Wait hang on, Barca rule the footballing world? Yes they have been doing fantastically well the past few seasons and were head and shoulders above the rest last season, but if they don't win their own domestic title this season then how can they be considered the best in the world?

You really have to ask that? You can't figure it out on your own? :facepalm2:

Barca have by far and away the best first XI, Madrid have more depth in their squad and can cope with injuries better (something Barca in particular have struggled with this season). Barca have also been notably more complacent this season compared to last season. Just because Madrid are ahead in the league doesn't make them better than Barca, as proven by Madrid winning 1 of the last 10 meetings.
Reply 44
Original post by Manchester United
Wait, why are we even talking about Real Madrid? All I said is that they're 10 points clear, which they are.

Also, penalties take skill. Ask Messi, he'll confirm that.

Anyway, shush. This thread isn't about Madrid. It's about 'If Messi chose Spain'.

I don't have anything against the penalties Ronaldo scored and I do know they take skill, out of the 4 he got this season he missed the one against sevilla not really shocking is it? Anyway the point is Madrid were awarded 13 penalties this season and 12 players facing madrid have been red carded in less than 30 games.
Something fishy is happening in spain.
Anyhow Madrid winning la liga without beating Barcelona is satisfaction enough.
Mario Gomez could have also played for Spain.
Reply 46
Original post by Kevmeister
What if Hitler died at the age of six?

What if the Tories never got in to government?

What if the moon was made of cheese?

What if that sig of yours was for-real :tongue:?
Reply 47
What if Messi chose Accrington Stanley? Would they be better?
Original post by f1mad
What if that sig of yours was for-real :tongue:?

Best band in the world, obviously.
Reply 49
Best band in the world, obviously.

Haha.

:thumbsup:.
Reply 50
I support Manchester United.

You don't say.
Reply 51
He doesn't even play well internationally

I don't think he's perfect. no one is. ronaldo for example is whiny little bitch

there's definitely a flaw with this Messi character too. He probably doesn't wipe his ass after he goes to the toilet or something of that nature
Original post by modini
What if Messi chose Accrington Stanley? Would they be better?

Some team in the pub quiz I went to tonight put Messi as being awarded football league player of the season, so I imagine Southampton would be improved by him, even if it meant losing Ricky Lambert...

If he was, he'd be declared the best player ever by more people. Proves he doesn't need to win tournaments with Argentina to be the best in the world.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TRS-T
You don't say.

ffs, what gave it away?
Reply 54
Original post by little_wizard123
Some team in the pub quiz I went to tonight put Messi as being awarded football league player of the season, so I imagine Southampton would be improved by him, even if it meant losing Ricky Lambert...

If he was, he'd be declared the best player ever by more people. Proves he doesn't need to win tournaments with Argentina to be the best in the world.

Yeah I agree, I was being sarcastic :tongue:

It would be a shame to deny him the title of best in the world just because he hasn't won a WC.
Original post by modini
Yeah I agree, I was being sarcastic :tongue:

It would be a shame to deny him the title of best in the world just because he hasn't won a WC.

I was wondering earlier how many goals he'd score at Southampton. I was thinking it'd be a few more than at Barcelona, but not many more.

He may do, I just can't see it soon. The European teams are too good. There seems more focus on cub football tbh, the Champions League is probably a higher standard than international football.
Reply 56
Original post by little_wizard123
I was wondering earlier how many goals he'd score at Southampton. I was thinking it'd be a few more than at Barcelona, but not many more.

He may do, I just can't see it soon. The European teams are too good. There seems more focus on cub football tbh, the Champions League is probably a higher standard than international football.

The Southampton thing: I suppose it depends how much you consider the midfielders at Barca to play a part in him getting all his goals. If you say Iniesta/Xavi/Cesc are a big help then he probably would score roughly the same at Soton. I personally think he's class without them, so I think he would get a load more goals there.

In terms of international, I also can't see Argentina winning anything. Atm I'm thinking Brazil will win in 2014. If not them then Spain/Germany/Netherlands.
Reply 57
No, merely pointing out the futility of 'what if?' threads.

Hypotheticals can end up in discoveries. E.g. what if i mix tit for tat....hey cure for cancer!!
Reply 58
Original post by Dagnabbit
Not sure if this sort of thread is allowed but, according to some news sources, Messi could have chosen to play for Spain because of how young he was when he first moved there.

I was just thinking, how would Spain be different if he were in the team? Would they still have won the World Cup and Euros?

A lot of people say Iniesta plays a bit like Messi does for Barca, when he plays for Spain so would that make Messi unnecessary?

I don't really have an opinion but I was interested in what other people might think.

DEAR NEGGERS: I am not forcing my opinion on you. I have not even stated an opinion. I am just trying to generate discussion on a hypothetical situation.

Messi Playing for Spain is more likely then Fernando Torres playing for Spain again so you do have a good point! :biggrin:
Reply 59
ffs, what gave it away?

The Southern accent.

Quick Reply

Latest