Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Government & Politics A-Level essential to study politics degree?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, as I've been looking at courses, particularly history and politics combined degrees, and was wondering whether it was an advantage to have it at a level. I currently have chosen history, economics and sociology. According to people at my school, the politics a level isn't very good there either. Any advice? thanks!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you need as a background, you would learn in the first year. A politics A-level I was told by my teacher would give an initial advantage, but by second year, it really doesn't matter
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, I will stick with the options I have then, and just learn some of the content myself!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the main advantage of politics A level if you want to do politics at uni is mainly the fact it shows that you're committed to politics, and that's something universities really value. If you have other ways of showing your commitment, then you'll be fine without the A-level.

Plus they rarely, if not never, ask for it specifically cos not all schools do it

It was useful for me because it confirmed my decision that I definitely wanted to take politics, but you also seem pretty sure about that at this moment

So long story short, don't worry too much about it
    (If you haven't guessed, I'm going to do Politics at Uni in September) x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Many schools don't even offer it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take it anyway. I am doing history and politics at uni if I get the results and the unis seemed to love it in my one interview and it's an easy A-level (not many people recognise this fact).
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you have the option of doing it then I would suggest that you take it.

As had been said above somewhere, it'll be a taster of the sort of topics you'd learn about at Uni and you'll be able to work out if you really do like it.

You don't want to risk not taking it at A level, getting to Uni and then finding out you dislike it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend either politics or sociology (both subjects contain political aspects) as they are considered 'easy' subjects (personally I found both subjects fascinating). The one you drop I would recommend replacing with either a language or English Literature to really up your chances of securing an offer from a 'top' university
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would love to ask the same question really, my sixth form doesn't offer Politics A-level, so I'm not taking it, but I'm considering doing it at uni, combined with German. Would not having Politics A-level put me at a distinct disadvantage compared to other applicants with Politics at A-level? (Btw, I'm planning on taking Maths, Economics, German and Sociology) Any replies would be greatly appreciated
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatgirlbecky)
    I would love to ask the same question really, my sixth form doesn't offer Politics A-level, so I'm not taking it, but I'm considering doing it at uni, combined with German. Would not having Politics A-level put me at a distinct disadvantage compared to other applicants with Politics at A-level? (Btw, I'm planning on taking Maths, Economics, German and Sociology) Any replies would be greatly appreciated
    Economics and Sociology surely show enough interest in Politics.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yabbayabba)
    Economics and Sociology surely show enough interest in Politics.
    Ah good, i've chosen those two
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I thought - thank you for replying

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 15, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.