The Student Room Group

You do need GCSEs...don't you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by onesoulfortwo
Yup! It isn't impossible without academia. :smile:

Exactly.

For all people complain about lack of apprenticeships I know of about 20 people who aren't the brightest who managed to get onto decent schemes at places like Rolls Royce and Nissan :tongue:
Original post by Tsubasa
Why don't you just ask him since you're curious.

He's never in school, therefore I can't ask him
Reply 22
Did anyone else read in the metro about how this guy has been looking for work for many months now? Hes been rejected 1000 times apparently.

Oh and he DID have GCSE's... but his were C's and D's in English and Maths
Original post by CLARA_
Army? Or do you need GCSEs for that...

For Officer you need A levels and it is helpful if you have a degree (most who go to sandhurst have a degree), to be a soldier you need to pass their basic english and maths test, which is like foundation GCSE stuff, so not too hard. But obvously, they would like you more if you do have GCSE's.
(edited 12 years ago)
Not essential for all jobs as what would people do if academically they don't excel? but a lot of I know require at least a gcse in maths and English. You only need 5 A-C's to get into most collages any more than that isn't really too relevant if I'm honest.

Also it's not gonna look good if the only reference you have is school yet you're never turning up to lesson
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Back in my day, GCSEs didn't exist!
Well with that attitude, I guess he won't need GCSEs to claim benefits!
Reply 27
Original post by The Phelps
I think a lot of emphasis is placed on getting GCSEs when it may not be entirely true. To move onto the next step of education they're vital. To find a job I'm not so convinced. I still think at the low levels of the job market it's much more about who you know and how lucky you are than what you know. Especially as if I'm honest GCSEs don't actually give you much applicable acknowledge they just show you don't have an extra chromosome.

All you can do is try to convince him and then wish him the best of luck whatever his decision. Your life will be easier with GCSEs so just do for that alone.

A bit harsh, but funny!
Reply 28
Original post by brendonbackflip
I'm personally working hard on my GCSEs, but there's one boy who I (unfortunately) know who refuses to go to school "because GCSEs aren't needed in what I want to do". He's going to get nothing - not even English Lang. and Maths - and to be honest, I'm so confused on what he could actually do. I'm pretty sure most on TSR won't ever have needed to think about this, but what actually can you do without GCSEs? Can't get into colleges obviously, but I always thought internships wanted qualifications as well? I'm curious, because I can't work out how anyone could think that :tongue:

Hi,

There are some people who are home educated who do not neccesarily do GCSE's in year 11 for one reason or another . There are more of these people than is usually realised. There are over 250 home educating families in the area where I live for instance. Some of the people do more GCSE's than normal or do them earlier and some do not do them at all.

For those who do not do them at all and want to go onto college then usually they take English and Maths tests at the college and start on a level 2 course. Sometimes if they have portfolio proof rather than a GCSE that they have achieved a certain level they may be admitted to level 3/A level courses directly. While at college they often sit some GCSE's in Maths/English in addition to their A levels.

Some people make it through to university just on A levels taken. A home educated boy in my local area was accepted by Cambridge to study Physics with only A levels. During interview when he was asked about the GCSE's and said he had thought they were something a bit useless.. the interviewer replied, 'quite sensible'. He was however a bit of a genius at maths and physics and that was apparent from his A levels and his extra curricualar studies.

Another home educated boy I know was not interested in academic things and
did not take his GCSE's. He loved being outdoors though and did lots of work on farms and such like. At 16 he took the English and Maths tests to get into college on a course for tree surgeons. So he found just the thing for him.

My husband had no 'O' levels (former name for GCSE's) and went to university later in life to do Architecture after studying on an access course.

So there is hope for those who either don't get or choose not to take GCSE's.

Having said that they are really useful and even essential for certain paths in life and for making it easier to move on into college and uni. so getting them makes life smoother!

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Count Olaf
i'm 109, young lad, i've been working for nearly 60 years until my retirement.

Urmmm, what?
Reply 30
i used to have that mindset, thankfully corrected it before it did to much damage to my GCSEs :rolleyes:
Original post by onesoulfortwo
You need at least GCSEs, and if you want to go into something a little higher than junior, you need A levels.

No you don't, for a regular soldier anyway. You might need the abilities equivalent to a GCSE, but they don't require any formal education.

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20145.aspx
I was born in 1903 in huddersfield. I began toiling the mills, and retired aged 74.

This is 2012. There are no mills in England. You need GCSEs to get a job. You even need a D in maths to work in Tesco for goodness sake.
Reply 33
Original post by funsongfactory
This is 2012. There are no mills in England. You need GCSEs to get a job. You even need a D in maths to work in Tesco for goodness sake.

The mills closed down many years ago, before you were alive. GCSEs were not around in my day.
The mills closed down many years ago, before you were alive. GCSEs were not around in my day.

What the hell...
Original post by vandub
No you don't, for a regular soldier anyway. You might need the abilities equivalent to a GCSE, but they don't require any formal education.

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20145.aspx

Ah ok, my bad!
Reply 36
Original post by CLARA_

You need GCSE's for that and A levels too. You have to be able to cope with Uni level talks according to the army man who spoke at our school.

<3 x
Reply 37
Original post by CLARA_

You need GCSE's for that and A levels too. You have to be able to cope with Uni level talks according to the army man who spoke at our school.

Original post by funsongfactory
Well with that attitude, I guess he won't need GCSEs to claim benefits!

:toofunny:

<3 x
Jigalow?
Reply 39
Original post by electric-wars
I actually find it rather sad that the vast majority of people on this website see formal qualifications as the be all and end all. Yes, they are extremely beneficial but formal education simply is not for everyone, and many people find it extremely oppressive. There are many, many entrepreneurs and individuals working in the arts who have no qualifications. Intelligence goes beyond being booksmart and following the rules of society, some people are able to go beyond the restrictions imposed by those claiming that letters on a piece of paper are needed to get by in life.

piece of paper is one thing - but to not go to school at all and miss the opportunity to learn is another.

and dont come to a website for students..in academia..and be surprised that most people here value education and qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending