Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Uni for me? Need help, please advise me. (New student)

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope to go to university this Sept (or next, depends). I just turned 20, have spent some time after college travelling and relaxing. I am now ready for study, having got all that "wild energy" out of my system.

I want a smallish, semi-urban or rural based, campus university. I hope to study Political Science.

I have 4 A -levels, grades A,B,B,C in History, Economics, English Lit and Biology. (10 GCSE's, 5 A's, 3 B's, 2 C's).

I live in a small town and love that slow pace.

Please help me pick universities!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster sounds perfect
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking Lancaster and then scrolled down to see Crocker had suggested it as well! Depends how rural and whether you care about league table rankings etc, but if you want a really good one lancaster certainly fits the criteria.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I looked up universities offering similar courses and Exeter, York, and Kent seem like good candidates. Their typical offer a tad higher than your grades though, but not so high that it should deter you from applying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh thanks.

Lancaster sounds perfect. Just checked out their website.

Any others, Exeter perhaps?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bownessie)
    I was thinking Lancaster and then scrolled down to see Crocker had suggested it as well! Depends how rural and whether you care about league table rankings etc, but if you want a really good one lancaster certainly fits the criteria.
    You guys are so nice. I was delighted with ABBC, I was expecting a complete mess-up.

I went to Clifton College (full boarder) and by exam time in upper sixth, I had severe senioritis.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by villageboy)
    You guys are so nice. I was delighted with ABBC, I was expecting a complete mess-up.

I went to Clifton College (full boarder) and by exam time in upper sixth, I had severe senioritis.
    You and me both! I was a day kid, but at a boarding school and by the time exams came I was just like "I can't be bothered anymore" lol XD
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have no desire to study in London or a big city. I went to school in Bristol for 5 years and I am tired of large cities. I want the vibe of my youth and holidays forever.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bownessie)
    You and me both! I was a day kid, but at a boarding school and by the time exams came I was just like "I can't be bothered anymore" lol XD
    After awhile, boarding school becomes so much fun. You make good friends and goof off all the time.

I will definitely send my future kids to boarding school. I went from 13-18, and that is the best time. I was old enough to know myself, didnt need mum to hold my hand etc.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope to go to university this Sept (or next, depends). I just turned 20, have spent some time after college travelling and relaxing. I am now ready for study, having got all that "wild energy" out of my system.

I want a smallish, semi-urban or rural based, campus university. I hope to study Political Science.

I have 4 A -levels, grades A,B,B,C in History, Economics, English Lit and Biology. (10 GCSE's, 5 A's, 3 B's, 2 C's).

I live in a small town and love that slow pace.

Please help me pick universities!

Exeter University would meet all your requirements... you could even choose to study at their Cornwall campus in Falmouth if you really want laid back, holiday style. They say on their site:

Politic may also be studied at the Cornwall campus and under the Flexible Combined Honours scheme in both Exeter and Cornwall.

Politics asks for A*AB-AAB though and FCH AAA-AAB and lots of applicants so I think you're a bit out of the reckoning for grades.

I f you were willing/able to consider a different subject though: What about University College Famouth which is a university devoted only to creative degrees. They do fine art and stuff of course but they also do English Degrees and Journalism. Only suggesting this because the setting is just so fab. That is my idea of a great degree: on a Cornish beach with a surfboard contemplating my next creative assignment.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I am far from a brand freak, it should be a 'proper' university. Ie not post 1992 university.

Exeter does seem nice. But my grades are a bit shy?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I seek the UK version of Claremont McKenna College.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I am far from a brand freak, it should be a 'proper' university. Ie not post 1992 university.

You could self study politics and get an A prediction
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

Lancaster sounds like it's for you

I'm there at the moment. Any questions feel free to ask
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nah. My studying (at school level) is done. Just bracing for college now. I have limited ambition, just enjoy good food, my books, quiet environments and the company of pretty women.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    Lancaster sounds like it's for you

I'm there at the moment. Any questions feel free to ask
    Are my grades good enough for Lancaster?

What's the crop like out there?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are my grades good enough for Lancaster?

What's the crop like out there?
    You fall slightly below the AAB offer but they'll probably take into account the fact that you've take 4 A-levels through to A2

It's corn as far as the eye can see :sexface:

Nah, it's nice. Quite a rural area with a 15 minute bus ride into the city centre. Relatively small campus so you haven't got a far to walk but it probably has everything you'll need
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good place.

Library is on campus, right?

Oh and are there many rahs there?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The entry requirement is AAB for politics, but Lancaster tends to be quite flexible on grades so if you have ABB you should be fine. One major thing is that if you decide you want to go to Lancaster to do politics, you will have to do two subjects in your first year. For example I am a history major and 1/3 of my time is devoted to history, then I have two minors: sociology and human geography. This can be a very good experience as it can allow you to test out other subjects at university level (or try something completely new). If you 100% just want to do politics then you have to wait till your second year here. The major-minor system very much defines your first year and if you think you'd hate doing two others subjects then Lancaster may not be for you (some of my friends knew nothing about the major-minor system before coming and got a very nasty suprise lol).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good place.

Library is on campus, right?

Oh and are there many rahs there?
    Never heard a private school kid question the number of rahs I think Exeter is a haven for them though, Lancs is fine.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 27, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.