The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I think I'm going on a date this week with guy who approached me in the street last week. I'm not crazy by doing this, am I?

I wouldn't say so, I have met and 'dated' (:wink:) people I met in the street... was no biggie tbh.
Original post by Deyesy
It's spontaneous? Nothing wrong with that :biggrin:

Oh and welcome back! :h:

Yeah, I dunno if you saw my earlier post about it, but basically he stopped me in the street and told me he liked what I was wearing. We had a brief chat, but I had to go cos I was already late on my way to meet someone. He asked for my number, I was a bit hesitant but then I thought "Why not?" and gave it to him. We've been texting a bit since, and then he asked me out for drinks and I decided it wouldn't hurt just to go the once at least.

Original post by Spontogical
So you're going to go through with it after all? :colone:

I've just realised how poor I am at maintaining relationships; friendships or otherwise. First six months are always great, but then eventually they just die out. It's majorly my fault though, since I don't keep in contact with people in general. Now it's like I don't even exist.

Story of my life 2007-2012.

Yeah, I'm like that too tbh. Just so bad with people. There are people I'd been friends with for many years but it still managed to fizzle out and we drifted :erm:. I think it's maybe a case of finding the right people :yep:

Original post by RDavies93
Not at all :smile: You may have fun, if you don't then you don't have to go out again, and chances are you'll never see him again. S'all good :smile: Enjoy!

Yeah, that's the idea I had. He's not really initially my type looks-wise tbh, but I'm not all about looks anyway so it's worth seeing him at least once to see what he's about. And I'm not the type to get asked out a lot at all, so I may as well take this chance, even if it's just for practice :yep:
Original post by tehFrance
Vous comprenez le français ou avez-vous 'Google Translate' ? :tongue:

Nope, I don't understand french, I only did it at GCSE so "No, I am italian, Yes I am french" Isn't too difficult :tongue:
Nope, I don't understand french, I only did it at GCSE so "No, I am italian, Yes I am french" Isn't too difficult :tongue:

Damn :frown: had my hopes up :lol:
Yeah, I dunno if you saw my earlier post about it, but basically he stopped me in the street and told me he liked what I was wearing. We had a brief chat, but I had to go cos I was already late on my way to meet someone. He asked for my number, I was a bit hesitant but then I thought "Why not?" and gave it to him. We've been texting a bit since, and then he asked me out for drinks and I decided it wouldn't hurt just to go the once at least.

Yeah, I'm like that too tbh. Just so bad with people. There are people I'd been friends with for many years but it still managed to fizzle out and we drifted :erm:. I think it's maybe a case of finding the right people :yep:

Yeah, that's the idea I had. He's not really initially my type looks-wise tbh, but I'm not all about looks anyway so it's worth seeing him at least once to see what he's about. And I'm not the type to get asked out a lot at all, so I may as well take this chance, even if it's just for practice :yep:

Exactly :smile: It's all experience right? Could be fun :smile: Good luck :h:
I wouldn't say so, I have met and 'dated' (:wink:) people I met in the street... was no biggie tbh.

Wow, you must be so brave to be able to do that. Is it particularly common for people to approach people in the streets for the intention of friendship/dating?
Damn :frown: had my hopes up :lol:

Though I did understand that last bit :rolleyes:

I apologise for getting your hopes up! Maybe one day I will learn it properly.
Reply 4207
Wow, you must be so brave to be able to do that. Is it particularly common for people to approach people in the streets for the intention of friendship/dating?

i dont think its common but its happend to me before...
Why, you must be so brave to be able to do that. Is it particularly common for people to approach people in the streets for the intention of friendship/dating?

Basically if I see a fit girl, I'll go up to them. I mean what if any of them were the one? it would suck to later discover one was and I didn't go up to her. I have since found the one but her line of work is not something I'd want her doing if we were to get serious although I shall tackle that at a later date should we keep seeing each other (we don't date, we are FWB :wink:).

I don't think it is that common as you need to have a lot of confidence to go up to a girl in a street, stone cold sober, it can be nerve wracking.
Though I did understand that last bit :rolleyes:

I apologise for getting your hopes up! Maybe one day I will learn it properly.

AHAH the Google Translate part? :colone:

It is fine, I shall just go and hide in a corner until the hopes disappear :tongue:
AHAH the Google Translate part? :colone:

It is fine, I shall just go and hide in a corner until the hopes disappear :tongue:

lol, "you understand french or do you use "google translate" Something along those lines anyway :tongue:

You poor soul :wink:
Basically if I see a fit girl, I'll go up to them. I mean what if any of them were the one? it would suck to later discover one was and I didn't go up to her. I have since found the one but her line of work is not something I'd want her doing if we were to get serious although I shall tackle that at a later date should we keep seeing each other (we don't date, we are FWB :wink:).

I don't think it is that common as you need to have a lot of confidence to go up to a girl in a street, stone cold sober, it can be nerve wracking.

Brilliant attitude :yy:. Wish I could have that sort of confidence, but people in the streets just seem to keep to themselves so it's not easy.
Original post by mia )
i dont think its common but its happend to me before...

Cool. What was your reaction?
Reply 4212
How would you politely tell a person that its not
going to happen between you?

Cool. What was your reaction?

He used a cheesy pick up line so I just smiled…and then pretended I got a phone call and walked off
(edited 12 years ago)
Brilliant attitude :yy:. Wish I could have that sort of confidence, but people in the streets just seem to keep to themselves so it's not easy.

Yeah but you can stop them with a good opening line, also helps if you pick up on eye contact as I know with most girls if they want to be left alone they look down although if they look to you in the eyes then you should make a move to pick them up... although I am a guy, I have no idea if men are similar as I haven't tried it on with a guy :lol:
Original post by mia )
How would you politely tell a person that its not
going to happen between you?

He used a cheesy pick up line so I just smiled…and then pretended I got a phone call and walked off

You've just got to be honest. No point beating around the bush about it. Obviously don't be all like "HAHAHA in your dreams" Just say "I'm sorry, but I'm not interested." Honesty, and don't leave it open - ended.

Also, class :tongue:
Yeah but you can stop them with a good opening line, also helps if you pick up on eye contact as I know with most girls if they want to be left alone they look down although if they look to you in the eyes then you should make a move to pick them up... although I am a guy, I have no idea if men are similar as I haven't tried it on with a guy :lol:

Do this, then come back and let us know how it went :tongue:
I didn't know there was a thread like this..now that I've found it though I was just wondering if it was weird that I've never being asked out by a guy ( I'm 19 in three days) and it's never bothered me until now. All I see is everyone in relationships and I think, whats wrong with me?
You've just got to be honest. No point beating around the bush about it. Obviously don't be all like "HAHAHA in your dreams" Just say "I'm sorry, but I'm not interested." Honesty, and don't leave it open - ended.

Also, class :tongue:

This tbh.. if girls do this - it'll save both of us time..
Original post by someonesomewherexx
I didn't know there was a thread like this..now that I've found it though I was just wondering if it was weird that I've never being asked out by a guy ( I'm 19 in three days) and it's never bothered me until now. All I see is everyone in relationships and I think, whats wrong with me?

Welcome :h: Nothing is wrong with you, don't ever think that :smile:
Original post by Spontogical
This tbh.. if girls do this - it'll save both of us time..

And stress!

Latest