The Student Room Group

BSc or MMath? Scottish student

I'm currently at St Andrews doing a 4 year MMath in Applied Mathematics. Unfortunately I have very inconsistent marks (last semester they ranged from a 10.2 to an 18) and I didn't get the required grade in one of my modules to continue on the 4 year MMath. So, I've been advised to drop down to the 4-year bachelors. Which seeing as I need a part-time job and I have a problematic learning difficulty, is probably a good idea.

However, I could take a 5-year MMath if I really wanted. I'm planning to change my degree to be a combination of applied and statistics (most likely the degree title will change to stats) and I'm most likely going to be pursuing a statistics related career.

my question is: should I take the 5 year MMath?

extra info:
-the uni said they wouldn't except me for a postgrad if I didn't do the MMath, but I could go else where to do a normal masters course
-tuition paid by SAAS if I take the 5 year course as its one degree, however if I do a separate postgrad I won't. I'm not entitled to a student loan at the moment but as my parents are kicking me out after 4th year I'm assuming I would be then as I'd have no income?
-my main concern is whether not having an MMath will seriously impact my job opportunities

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 1
If you want to do postgrad it would be useful to do the 5 year MMath. If not though a BSc will be fine for you in terms of getting jobs.

That said. If I were you I'd take the 5 year MMath.

Quick Reply

Latest