The Student Room Group
If you've never seen how to integrate a Gaussian integral then you'll need to read up on that first. It cannot be done analytically except for the limits of 0 and -+ infinity.

The general result is that

Int e^(-K[x^2]) dx = 2 sqrt(K*pi)

when the limits are -infinity and +infinity.

For the other parts, do integration by parts.
Reply 2
AlphaNumeric

For the other parts, do integration by parts.

other parts?

the gaussian integral thing is for part A right? :P
Reply 3
ok so this is what i did for part A :....

what do you guys think?
The lower limit in your integral is wrong, it's -infinity (the text code is \infty by the way). Otherwise it looks like you're on the right track :smile:
Reply 5
k, yyeah i think i got it

A^2 = (lambda/pi)^{1/2}

but i dont know how to do <x> or <x^2>, i cant seem to find an integral to sub. into it... :frown:
Reply 6
ok for the <x> part i am trying to figure out how to do this integral.... (is attached as a picture)

any suggestions? i have tried integration by parts but that doesnt seem to be working (maybe i am doing it wrong?? :s-smilie:)

Sarah :smile:
Reply 7
sarahisme
ok for the <x> part i am trying to figure out how to do this integral.... (is attached as a picture)

any suggestions? i have tried integration by parts but that doesnt seem to be working (maybe i am doing it wrong?? :s-smilie:)

Sarah :smile:

Oh gawd no. Integration by substitution. Its the most simple type.
x^2 = u
2xdx = du
Its not even difficult. You should have seen this type of integration before.
Reply 8
i did integration by parts in the end anyways :smile:

now as for the probability distribution sketch thing?? any ideas?
Reply 9
sarahisme
i did integration by parts in the end anyways :smile:

now as for the probability distribution sketch thing?? any ideas?

Its a standard Gaussian distro, you should be able to sketch this freehand. I am guessing it should be in your lecture notes. 'a' is simply is the offset from the central point for teh Gaussian.
Reply 10
ok i will give it a go and get back to you :smile:

Sarah :biggrin:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NormalDistribution.html

Looks like the left hand graph, but a lot flatter, and the peak being at x=a, not x=0.
Reply 12
ok so if i draw a graph should probably put on the mean (<x>) the standard deviation (<x^2> - <x>^2)^{1/2}, axis labels is there anything else worth putting on?

also

what does <x^2> tell you? or is it just used for working out the standard deviation?

also how do you know that the graph is very flat?

and

do i need to put anything about the value of A on the graph?

oh and here is my sketch : i reckon its pretty good :P

Thanks (sorry bout the thousands of questions! )

Sarah :P
Ignoring the integral sign (which is for findign the area, not plotting the function) when you set x=a (which is the max of the graph) you end up with y = A, so the max of the graph is A.

The graph's flatness is dependent on lambda, I just suggested doing it flatter to illustrate you know what's going on.

Working out <x> and <x2> is to work out the standard derivation yes.
Reply 14
[edit]
Reply 15
thanks for all your help guys :smile: its been great! :biggrin:

Sarah

Latest