Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anybody heard of Oxbridge Learning Academy?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Firstly, sorry if I'm posting this at the wrong forum. I'm afraid this is the only place I can think of regarding this although I know this forum is more related to UK.

The thing is, I've been invited to go for the "Summer 2012 'Power and Markets' Seminar" held at NYU by Oxbridge Learning Academy (http://oxbridgelearning.com/politics...um2012nyc.html) and I must say I'm quite interested as it includes visits to Wall Street Stock Exchange, big companies and opportunities to have direct contacts with big business leaders as well as being a part of the Oxbridge Alumni Club. It ends off with a graduation ceremony in Oxford along with a certificate which sounds very attractive to me.

However, I'm unable to find much information on this program as the organisation is relatively new. So has anyone of you heard of it or had any experience with it? I'd appreciate your opinions pls. Thanks in advance!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I guess nobody have heard of it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    i got offered the same thing this week and like yourself am attracted to all it offers. However, i cant find much information on it or anyone who has done it in the past. I am starting to think it is a scam as the money they require is extortionate. I am going to call my university regarding it and maybe you should do the same. Please let me no how you get on and I will do the same
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hope it's not a scam too but kind of weird that there is barely any information other than on the website itself eh? By the way, check your PM

If anyone knows anything about this program, please share your thoughts =)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "Oxbridge is an independent academic institute with no affiliation to any University, College or Corporation."

yeah, right.

:sheep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
    "Oxbridge is an independent academic institute with no affiliation to any University, College or Corporation."

yeah, right.

What about that? Isn't it just saying they are not related to the universities despite the "Oxbridge" name?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrunchTime)
    What about that? Isn't it just saying they are not related to the universities despite the "Oxbridge" name?
    What it says to me is that they are trying to use "Oxbridge" to impress, when they have no connection with Oxford or Cambridge, are not based in Oxford or Cambridge, and their "directors" are not and have never been academic staff at Oxford or Cambridge.

One was a Rhodes Scholar, and 3 have Oxford D.Phils.( "College Lecturer" BTW just means "hired hand to do some tutorials"; it's not at all equivalent to a "University lecturer"). Mason C Meiringer is claimed to be (partly) a "senior tutor at the University of Oxford". According to this: he is (or has been) in fact an academic visitor to the politics department: "CPI welcomes the following visitors: <snip> Mason C Meiringer". Which is a bit different... a "senior tutor" normally being taken to being someone in charge of an Oxford or Cambridge College's teaching.

If that doesn't sound a bit dodgy to you, well, fair enough, but it does to me!

As does charging nearly £3000 for a three-week English Language course in Oxford, for which the blurb is a bit , well, odd:"All Oxbridge E.W.L.A. students will be housed in beautiful Oxford University colleges. There are 43 colleges and halls at Oxford and your stay will be at the oldest and most famous of these, several dating back to the 12th century. Students may also request specific colleges for their stay. All students will be placed in double rooms - private singles are available upon request for an additional charge." Double rooms? I don't know that [I]any[I] college has double rooms these days. They haven't specified which college(s) will be used, which to me means they haven't actually got a booking with any of them; the colleges get their conference trade (which this would count as) organized well in advance, and getting three weeks allocated would need a lot of notice. As for individuals being able to pick and choose which college.... I think "get real" is the phrase here.

I think I had better stop now...

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've just been accepted on this scheme too. From what you guys have said, it does sound a bit dodgy :s although what they're offering sounds quite good.

will you still be accepting your place or are you going to reject it based on what's been said in this discussion???
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are paying £1000 per week to go on some non-affiliated course with a few people who once had a tenuous link to an Oxbridge college; even with higher fees, actual students pay under £400 per week for a full Oxbridge degree. If you think that's worth it, you're a sucker.

There are thousands of people and organisations trying to make a few bucks off the back of Oxbridge's prestige and mystique. You see it in these courses, you see it in the people who offer mock interviews and PS-writing services, etc. etc. None of these things provide value for money.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi i've been accepted onto this too and wasn't sure about it. It does sound good however it does put me off that not many people have heard about it, not even my personal tutor who has worked at both Oxford and Cambridge. However I do think it would be good to study in New York for three weeks and it sounds like we get to do a lot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I just signed up to comment on this threat. As previous authors have indicated, the Oxbridge programme is not the most genuine activity one can spend their summer with. It is however not a complete scam either. I participated in the Power and Politics seminar in Washington DC earlier this year.

We were placed in double rooms at a campus of the George Washington University, and our daily lectures were held nearby at the same campus. They were of ok-ish quality, but not quite Oxford-standard for obvious reasons.

The practical engagements, which were a decisive point for many of those who signed up for the programme, were also not quite what we were promised. Most of the time we went to different public events at think tanks, which were free of charge for students and open to the public anyway.

There was just one visit to an embassy, where we met a Chinese consul who held the same speech about China as a peace-loving nations he always holds when he is invited to speak for students.

During the seminar, Dr. Meiringer was mostly in New York, leaving us behind in DC with little guidance, so that we even missed some of the events that were scheduled.

After the seminar, Dr. Meiringer and his secretary stopped replying on emails. The latest we heard from them was that we need to fill out 16 questions on an evaluation form if we want to receive our certificates. Also the graduaion ceremony in Oxford, which was one of the selling points of the programme. will not take place.

To conclude one can say that the Oxbridge seminar is not a complete scam but still a scam, and certainly not worth 3000GBP. There are other summer schools, which can provide a better experience, a more sound academic foundation and less frustration for less money.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well, if this isn't a "complete scam" it comes pretty close!

... and many thanks for this report. I hope it deters others from being taken in.

DtS
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys - i also signed up to throw in my two cents. First - it's ridiculous to call this summer program a scam! I was in last summer groups at GW - despite some organizational problems -it one of the best courses on US politics i've taken and i'm a politics major! I attended the George Washington session but my close friend got into the Georgetown session in June group - which was much better organized for some reason. Plus -the Georgetown campus is much cooler than GW but that's not Oxbridge's fault. apparently, they just added the GW session recently because of all the demand so def. they've got some kinks to work out .. especially the dorms, which weren't exactly exciting.

it's true that lots events were public .. but Dr. Meiringer ADDED them to our existing program .. so it was totally intensive! we went to two events a day sometimes. plus, our morning lectures with Dr. Hill from Oxford Univ. were very good. and my girlfriend in the June group said the Georgetown lectures - also by a prof. from Oxford Univ. - was the BEST she's ever had. so I just think it's unfair to trash the entire course because the organization and dorms could have been better and GW wouldn't let us use their pool.

Plus, as to the caliber of events - - one talk was with Ralph Nader - four time US pres. candidate. And - we went to a live event with PRESIDENT CLINTON re: his role in African-US trade negotiations! Yes, it was at Brookings Institute so it was technically 'public' as most think tank events are .. but it's still impossible to get into these events unless you're well connected in DC and Oxbridge definitely was. in fact, our first day event was with Washington Post politics columnist E.J. Dionne! best talk of the summer in my view. And several of us even got to personally meet and ask questions to Paul Wolfowitz after his talk at the AEI where only 75 people were allowed in and we sat in the front row - that was amazing. And yeah - the Chinese ambassador was an apologist for China but he IS their ambassador! Duh. He can't criticize his own government.

Anyway - we had 3 hour lectures everyday. plus, one cool event a day - sometimes two with several private talks academically, the syllabus was tough and some articles a bit outdated but way better than my home courses. the only thing that really sucked for me was that they didn't provide pots and pans! so some of us got killed on food costs. Finally, the graduation didn't take place back at Oxford because only 7 people signed up for it. on the whole - despite their organization hiccups - the GW session was a cool experience and i learned more about the US political system in 3 weeks than i had in 3 years at uni. although, i kind of wish i did the later session because the Georgetown people i knew raved about their three weeks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In response to the OP, I would like to say that in June 2010 I was a part of the 3 week Oxbridge Learning Seminar. Simply put, it was a life changing decision, as it solidified my aspirations of becoming intimately involved in US politics. Dr. Mason Meiringer provided us with in depth classes during the mornings (from 9-12) where we had lively conversations. The atmosphere was very intellectual and he gave everyone in the class an opportunity to voice their opinions on any matters. Usually, Mason would lecture us on a certain subject area that we would be seeing first hand later that day. For example, Mason gave us a lecture on the history of the two US political parties and then later that day we went to go have a meeting with the Democratic National Committee.

The program was very intensive, but not to a point where you couldn't leave your rooms and go and enjoy DC. We had two essays that we wrote during our time there, on topics of our own choosing, and then a final exam at the end.

As for the firsthand experiences that I gained from the program, I would say they were first class. We were able to meet with many senior political advisors from Senator's offices, the Pentagon - and we even got to meet Ralph Nader for an in-person meeting. The connections I made also with students from around the world (I was one of 2 Americans in a group of 15), was instrumental to the program's overall success.

I have nothing but positive things to say about the Oxbridge Learning Academy. If you have any questions, please feel free to inbox me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was part of the Georgetown three week program of 2012 and I most certainly don't regret it. I am a Master student in Economics from Lund, Sweden with a passion for politics. The three weeks were very stimulating, Dr. Meiringer is exceptionally engaged in the students and provided stimulating lectures. On top of that we had a several guest lecturers from all branches of the military and politics. Among the activities where a guided tour around the Pentagon, GoP and the Chinese embassy.

The program does provide an insight in american politics and culture and a I do recommend it, in particular to foreign student. In addition you get to know several other students from around the globe, several of whom I still keep in touch with. Overall it was a great experience and Dr. Meiringer is who keeps it all together.

Felipe Mejias
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Because all 3 of the above posts are so genuine. :rolleyes:

I think this says everything you need to know about this farce.
    No one should ever be paying any money for experiences like this, ever. The fact that some of it takes place in America means nothing given that the Sutton Trust do this for free.

And for those stating that they got 'accepted', no you just filled in a form and were willing to part with that amount of money. I guarantee that they care very little about your academic future.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uniqsummer)
    ^^ Because all 3 of the above posts are so genuine. :rolleyes:

I think this says everything you need to know about this farce.
    No one should ever be paying any money for experiences like this, ever. The fact that some of it takes place in America means nothing given that the Sutton Trust do this for free.

And for those stating that they got 'accepted', no you just filled in a form and were willing to part with that amount of money. I guarantee that they care very little about your academic future.
    Perhaps surprisingly the last of these posters does seem to exist

http://se.linkedin.com/pub/felipe-mejias/89/ba1/5a6

Whether he actually attended this course or whether it is a case of identity theft, I have no idea.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2014
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.