The Student Room Group

OCR AS Salters Chemistry F332 - Wednesday 23rd May 2012 1:30pm

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by thegreenchildren
Aren't the uses of polyethene already in the article? do you think we would have to extract them from there? Also by properties do you mean flexible?

Thanks! :biggrin:

Yeah most likley with reference to the article, however from doing past papers a good amount of the 20 marks you can do with your own chemical knowledge :smile:
Reply 61
Can someone please tell me all the reagents and conditions for all the reactions in our spec that we need to know!!!! Would be a massive help! :smile:
Reply 62
My class have just started the Atmosphere :biggrin:
Reply 63
Yeah, our class suck, most people got D/E/U in F331 in Jan. We've done PR before Atmosphere for some reason. ES has been done, yes. I just self-studied the content myself.

I have done all the papers from Jan 2002 to June 2006 (old spec), only about 13 more papers to go!
Original post by puddinboy
Can someone please tell me all the reagents and conditions for all the reactions in our spec that we need to know!!!! Would be a massive help! :smile:

They are all in the specification which you can find on the ocr website. :biggrin:
Yeah, our class suck, most people got D/E/U in F331 in Jan. We've done PR before Atmosphere for some reason. ES has been done, yes. I just self-studied the content myself.

I am in the same situation. All my class got U's in January. :bigsmile:
anyone got good revision notes or decent websites for revision?
Reply 67
Anyone done any work on the pre release?? or predicted any possible questions??
Revise like unit 1. look at mark schemes and learn the generic answeres they look for often (definitions of dynamic equilibrium I have seen about 4 times) similarly points and on the long answers give every detail you can so not to miss the mark. Its as easy to lose easy marks as it is to gain them and every mark makes a difference. Anyone know how they did in their practical assessments?
I've been through it. Definately going to have a q. related to environmental impacts or the differences between LDPE and the HDPE perhaps linked to the branching idea. The free radical mechanism seems to be stressed so expect something along those lines too. Spectroscopy from unit 1 may make a reappearance too. Reckon that nearly all the polymer questions will come up on he last question which means elements from the sea and atmosphere needs to be revised reallly well for the other 80 marks!
Reply 70
Has anyone got/made/been given any help sheets, possible questions, explanations by their teacher etc on the Advance Notice?

Last year there were some really good documents uploaded here and some of the main points came up in the exam in nearly the exact same wording aha.

If anyone has anything similar this year it would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Love doing Chemistry re-sits :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 71
has anyone got the January 2012 F332 paper!?
Reply 72
has anyone got the January 2012 F332 paper!?

Yeah. :smile:
Reply 73
I did all the past papers, now got nothing to do. :frown:

Better start making pre-release questions, I suppose. Anyone got any?
Reply 74
Hmm, I'm not sure if there are any questions like that in F332 though. For example, the ozone depleting questions or the global warming ones are easy to score full marks in if you just say the same thing every time. I've got a comprehensive list of everything you should say, but no fill in the blank-type answers... sorry.
Reply 75
Well, for the global warming questions (how CO2 causes Earth to heat up) I always say this:

-The Sun emits high-energy UV radiation, warming the Earth
-Earth absorbs UV and emits IR
-IR is absorbed by CO2 molecules, causing their bonds to vibrate more
-This vibrational energy is transferred to kinetic energy
-Energy is re-emitted in all directions causing a rise in atmospheric temp
-A higher conc. of CO2 mean more IR is absorbed so more kinetic energy, so greater heating effect on the Earth

This has always scored me full marks on those questions. The ones about CFCs are different though, do not say the above for those questions.
Reply 76
You just need to be able to know how to read them -- just look at the peaks and match them to number ranges in the table. You also need to know that the fingerprint region is below 1500cm-1 which acts as a unique identifier for the chemical (which can then be looked up in a database). You should know that different bonds vibrate at specific frequencies, and talk about vibrational energy levels (they're discrete, bla bla) as the reason.
Reply 77
This might help you. It was made by my teacher and really helped me last year.
Reply 78
Least you appreciated it, I don't understand why someone has rated it down :confused:

Yeah I did it last year and am retaking all the AS's to get more UMS points... I got just under an A last year but I found it really hard. After doing A2 content its a lot lot easier.

Just do past papers, and the legacy papers and you should be fine.:smile:
Reply 79
Guys can someone clarify for me that in the advanced notice, on page 4, the first reaction is propogation? 2nd is termination? cheers

Quick Reply

Latest