Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

OCR AS Salters Chemistry F332 - Wednesday 23rd May 2012 1:30pm

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: How did you find this exam?
    Very easy
    11.11%
    Easy
    16.67%
    Average
    52.78%
    Hard
    16.67%
    Very Hard
    2.78%

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winningjojo)
    Thats what I put and so did loads of others - its the conditions they give in the revision guide so I can't see why not. :s I put high temperatures and pressures in brackets after the exact figures because found that the atm is debated by everyone I have spoken too. .

(Original post by SimpleGirl)
    What?! Really?? :eek:
    Winning jojo you are wrong. You are mistaking phosphoric catalyst with potassium dichromate. Phosphorate acid is strictly for ethene to ethanol. Really.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dongonaeatu)
    Winning jojo you are wrong. You are mistaking phosphoric catalyst with potassium dichromate. Phosphorate acid is strictly for ethene to ethanol. Really.
    January '11.

Question: Reagents and conditions for reaction of propene to propanol.

Answer: water/steam, phosphoric acid, high temp and pressure.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    January '11.

oh, in my cgp guide it says its only ethene to ethenol that uses phosphoric acid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    January '11.

BOOM.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh, in my cgp guide it says its only ethene to ethenol that uses phosphoric acid.
    Gosh. Gave me a heart attack.
    Phosphoric acid should be accepted. :yy:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGrumpyMole)
    BOOM.
    The answer you gave will be fine then
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The answer you gave will be fine then
    Suuucccesssssssss. They shouldn't try to trick people like that anyway
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gosh. Gave me a heart attack.
    Phosphoric acid should be accepted. :yy:
    no, i dont think it would be accepted.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    sorry. i must have misunderstood the conditions and how its worded in the book because it doesn't say just for ethanol - but your probably right because I only started getting my head around all the conditions last week. :/ What was the question?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    no, i dont think it would be accepted.
    :eek:

Er, okay..... :confused:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    January '11.

i said phosphoric acid!! Haven't heard of Phosphorate acid used before :/ I think I may have missed followed the posts not misunderstood the book. oops Annoyed though because I didn't write steam because steam was mentioned in the Q. (it was the only way i knew what it was)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    And I don't have the cpg guide I have the one specific for our course written by the salters people which may be why I didn't know about the ethene thing and now I have clogged up this post I had better carry on revising french because that really is going to be a massive fail. :/
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winningjojo)
    And I don't have the cpg guide I have the one specific for our course written by the salters people which may be why I didn't know about the ethene thing and now I have clogged up this post I had better carry on revising french because that really is going to be a massive fail. :/
    oui
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have d1. i got 6/72 in my mock. How did u revise it
    Lots of past papers a few days before the exam, and predicting 73/75 (although given that it was a tricky paper that may be 100 UMS, not sure).

If your exam is coming up and you're getting 6/72 then you ought to re-learn the content.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The answer to why the compound was cheaper was that it can be obtained directly from crude oil without being processed,

and the why it cannot be a solvent is because if you noticed it would be gaseous at room temp!

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crushy10)
    The answer to why the compound was cheaper was that it can be obtained directly from crude oil without being processed,

and the why it cannot be a solvent is because if you noticed it would be gaseous at room temp!

What if I said:
    Didn't contain halogens and can be obtain from completely combusting alkanes,
    and:
    It is flammable?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with what he wrote? Isn't that correct?
    No its right its in the salters revision guide.

And its not strictly for anything.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salmonidae)
    It wasn't it said forward reaction
    Ohh that changes things then. Perhaps electrophilic addition? Dno.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGrumpyMole)
    What if I said:
    Didn't contain halogens and can be obtain from completely combusting alkanes,
    and:
    It is flammable?
    you might get the mark for the first one but not for the second, it being flammable isn't a problem according to my chemistry teacher!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreenchildren)
    what did people write for the type of reaction in figure 1? I wrote electrophilic addition which i know must be wrong as electrophilic addition was mentioned earlier on in the paper but i didnt know what else it could be. At school someone wrote copolymer addition or something similar.

I had no clue for that question and now i realise there was a reversible reaction arrow as well but still dont know :/

also for the first part of question 5 did anyone write poly(ethene) as an example of an addition polymer? I thought that was a bit strange as it is like the first thing that is mentioned in the article.
    I got confused on the type of reaction question - I don't think it was electrophillic addition because the hydrogen atom got moved along the chain (I had to draw the whole thing out and try to work out the mechanism, but it still didn't work). I just put 'addition' because two reactants combine to make a single product :s
    I think it specifically said in the question 'any polymer other than poly(ethene)'

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 1, 2013
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.