The Student Room Group

OCR AS Salters Chemistry F332 - Wednesday 23rd May 2012 1:30pm

Scroll to see replies

it was like bromine is 36.00cm^3 and with a conc of 0.0200moldm^-3 and something else was 25.00cm^-3
so you had to work out the moles of the (other compound which i cant remember)
and that was for 2 marks i think
then it asked " calculate the moles of bromine in the solution"--- so the ratio was 1 to 1 so just put what you got in first question for this one :smile: that was 1 mark
and the last bit asked to work out the something else of bromine

sorry thats all i can remember :/
Original post by matt1107
I made some changes because they were wrong, and added a few questions =D

what were the changes you made? please could you let me know those few questions you added, and maybe post the modified markscheme?
Original post by sharon800
for one of the answers, on what type of bond breaking is this :-
i put HOMOLYTIC rather than HOMOLYTIC FISSION...would i loose that mark ?

so for that question :- whether it had an overall dipole, is the molecule non-polar or polar?
thank you

From what I've seen in past papers, it's usually either homolysis or homolytic fission that's accepted. I suppose there's still a chance they could award you the mark but my guess would be that without the 'fission' part in your answer, you'll most likely drop a mark there.

Another poster said after going through the paper with their teacher, she was told there was no overall dipole. But someone else posted later on and said their teacher told him the expected answer at A level for that question is usually a dipole is present. So, we don't actually know for sure. :dontknow:
Original post by SimpleGirl
From what I've seen in past papers, it's usually either homolysis or homolytic fission that's accepted. I suppose there's still a chance they could award you the mark but my guess would be that without the 'fission' part in your answer, you'll most likely drop a mark there.

Another poster said after going through the paper with their teacher, she was told there was no overall dipole. But someone else posted later on and said their teacher told him the expected answer at A level for that question is usually a dipole is present. So, we don't actually know for sure. :dontknow:

OMG i also just put homolytic as well!!! Ah man, i better not lose that easy mark! =.=
Original post by misspinx20
OMG i also just put homolytic as well!!! Ah man, i better not lose that easy mark! =.=

Now I'm over-thinking and can't remember whether I put the whole thing or just homolytic :doh:
Now I'm over-thinking and can't remember whether I put the whole thing or just homolytic :doh:

LOOL don't stress yourself woman :biggrin: I'm sure they'll accept it, since in most papers they do allow just 'homolytic'.

And they did ask what 'type' of bond breaking process it is...not just 'what type of process is this called?' If they asked that question then it would make sense to write in the fission bit...if that makes sense.
LOOL don't stress yourself woman :biggrin: I'm sure they'll accept it, since in most papers they do allow just 'homolytic'.

And they did ask what 'type' of bond breaking process it is...not just 'what type of process is this called?' If they asked that question then it would make sense to write in the fission bit...if that makes sense.

Oh, if it asked for the type of bond breaking then they may allow just homolytic. We'll see.
Reply 1447
Oh, if it asked for the type of bond breaking then they may allow just homolytic. We'll see.

Look at the F332 Mark Scheme for January 2010. Link below. Answer for question 1)(c)(i) says; Homolytic (fission) / Homolysis. The words in the brackets are not required. You will get the mark :biggrin:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_10/ocr_50007_ms_10_gce_jan.pdf
Original post by ells-13
Look at the F332 Mark Scheme for January 2010. Link below. Answer for question 1)(c)(i) says; Homolytic (fission) / Homolysis. The words in the brackets are not required. You will get the mark :biggrin:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_10/ocr_50007_ms_10_gce_jan.pdf

Ahh yes! I can relax now...well sort of :biggrin:
Ahh yes! I can relax now...well sort of :biggrin:

can you like loose 30 odd marks, and still get an A in F332 Unit?
Original post by sharon800
can you like loose 30 odd marks, and still get an A in F332 Unit?

Well it really depends on UMS. It wasn't a bad paper, so I'm guessing the grade boundaries might have been high. You could still get an A if the grade boundaries are low.

Well it really depends on UMS. It wasn't a bad paper, so I'm guessing the grade boundaries might have been high. You could still get an A if the grade boundaries are low.

what the highest its ever been for an A?
i made silly mistakes, like "homolytic fission" as "homolytic"
wrong molecular formula
and i messed up on that fingerprint region question :/
Reply 1452
you know for the bonding question where it asked what form of intermolecular bonding is present in this molecule:

is it acceptable to write permenant dipole- permanent dipole attraction as opposed to hydrogen bonding because both are present and the question doesnt specifify which oen to write...

AGRH i was debating in my head which one to write :*(
Original post by amz1209
you know for the bonding question where it asked what form of intermolecular bonding is present in this molecule:

is it acceptable to write permenant dipole- permanent dipole attraction as opposed to hydrogen bonding because both are present and the question doesnt specifify which oen to write...

AGRH i was debating in my head which one to write :*(

I'm pretty sure it said which is the strongest intermolecular bond present, and in this case it was hydrogen bonding.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Mattywooda
100% =D (though with hyphens but OCR dont care)

i didnt put the numbers, i just put the words...would i still get the marks?
Has anybody found an official markscheme for the paper yet?
Anybody?
OCR have released the grade boundaries.
Raw mark for an A is 80.

http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/admin/ocr_69851_admin_unit_grd_bound_june_12.pdf?
Reply 1458
Original post by puddinboy
OCR have released the grade boundaries.
Raw mark for an A is 80.

http://pdf.ocr.org.uk/download/admin/ocr_69851_admin_unit_grd_bound_june_12.pdf?

i think 80 is pretty high for an A considering previous years it is around 70, what does everyone else think?
Original post by abi1995
i think 80 is pretty high for an A considering previous years it is around 70, what does everyone else think?

That was my first thought as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending