The Student Room Group

Atheists 'Slaves Obey Your Masters' Billboard Raises Tempers In Pennsylvania.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ohirome
Some religious people seem to think its perfectly fine to very publicly condemn, judge and belittle those who think differently from them, yet when its turn on them its suddenly 'too far'.

When did a persons rights to religious beliefs trump everything else in the world?

Only in devout religious peoples deluded minds. I wonder, are they missing that part of the brain that differs fact from crap? Is there some sort of golden barrier stopping the bull**** detector part from telling them the obvious that the man in the sky isnt there and there is no such thing as 'God'? It makes my mind boggle people will believe and put so much value on a load of codswallop written by some unknown guy 1000s of years ago. If I wrote a book about a magical sky unicorn that would allow you to heaven if you did what I say in the book, would you believe it?

Thats how daft they are.
Reply 61
Original post by LeeC
Well if a Christian puts parts of the bible on a billboard, they would usually be doing it to promote the message of the bible rather than to say it's wrong. I can't think why a Christian would put that on a billboard to take a dig at his own holy book.

This is it. Religious people only ever hide the negative things in their religion, if brought up on disgusting and backward bible or quran verses they usually get aggressive or try any low tactic to change the subject.

Thats probably why they were so angry, because it shows the holy book for what it is, inhumane rubbish.
Reply 62
I really wish there was a magical sky unicorn god.

:cry2:
Reply 63
Original post by Chloe xxx
Only in devout religious peoples deluded minds. I wonder, are they missing that part of the brain that differs fact from crap? Is there some sort of golden barrier stopping the bull**** detector part from telling them the obvious that the man in the sky isnt there and there is no such thing as 'God'? It makes my mind boggle people will believe and put so much value on a load of codswallop written by some unknown guy 1000s of years ago. If I wrote a book about a magical sky unicorn that would allow you to heaven if you did what I say in the book, would you believe it?

Thats how daft they are.

I personally am totally cool with people being faith, but in no way should their personal decision to subscribe to a faith over-ride other peoples rights or opinions. I tend to side on proven science rather than 'well, this is what I think because its my own personal religious belief', but thats my own take on it.

I would also love to join the magical sky unicorn church. Make it happen.
Reply 64
unicorn.png
Reply 65
Original post by adsyrah

Atheists are pointing out why they don't like that 2012 has been named "Year of The Bible". Granted, in a provocative way, but I don't think it's disrespectful as it's stating historical fact.
why not also set up billboards in Muslim parts of town, quoting Quran 4:34 and reminding them that they have the right to beat their disobedient wives ? or Quran 4:24, reminding them that they have the right to have sex with their slavegirls ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by adsyrah
I really wish there was a magical sky unicorn god.

:cry2:
there would be billboards about him, too
If this had been Detroit, there would have been a riot. Fact.
Reply 68
Original post by mariachi
why not also set up billboards in Muslim parts of town, quoting Quran 4:34 and reminding them that they have the right to beat their disobedient wives ? or Quran 4:24, reminding them that they have the right to have sex with their slavegirls ?

Because 2012 hasn't been named "Year of the Quran" .
Original post by mariachi

I find it highly unlikely that a small Pennsylvanian town would have a significant "Muslim part of town". The person who did this offended Muslims by dressing up as a "Zombie Muhammed" at Halloween - so I highly doubt he hates Christians specifically. It's just common sense that a anti-religion organisation would target the huge number of Christians before moving on to the tiny number of Muslims.

And I really don't understand how they made a race issue out of this though? If anything - it's being anti-racist by criticising the bible for having that phrase in it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 70
it's hardly as offensive as 'REPENT OR YOUR WILL BURN IN HELL FOR ETERNITY'
Original post by Chloe xxx

Thats how daft they are.

Surprise, surprise!

Old rent-a-vag over here doesn't believe in God!

Who'd have thunk it?!

:u:
Original post by ScholarsInk
these factions of atheists with their organisations, military chaplains and so on effectively are religions, just atheistic ones.

Aye their organisations....

the AAA (Allied Atheist Alliance)

the UAA (United Atheist Alliance)

and the UAL (Unified Atheist League)

"ours is the true science!"

..that was a funny South Park episode..

anyway it's more about it being placed somewhere where it was clearly going to cause a lot of upset. I think the imagery doesn't help. Now people in the area are focusing on what they think is a racial issue with the poster, instead of anything questionable written the Bible.
Original post by Lumos
it's hardly as offensive as 'REPENT OR YOUR WILL BURN IN HELL FOR ETERNITY'
How? Atheists and other non-believers treat 'hell' as a fictitious concept.

'REPENT OR YOU WILL BURN IN NOMOSOOSOO FOR ETERNITY'. You don't believe in a place called Nomosoosoo so why would you be offended or even slightly perturbed at all? :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by whyumadtho

'REPENT OR YOU WILL BURN IN NOMOSOOSOO FOR ETERNITY'. You don't believe in a place called Nomosoosoo so why would you be offended or even slightly perturbed at all? :confused:

being offended isn't the same as being afraid/threatened by a concept, e.g. hell. I personally am offended when people say that atheists will go to hell because it means that they actually believe I deserve eternal torment. And the fact that they accept this as part of their belief system without question, even if that means that they believe friends and family members will (and even should) go to hell, does offend me, yes. why would you wish that upon anyone?
Original post by whyumadtho

Well, equally, a Christian could say he is not offended because he/she (and I believe the majority of other Christians) do not follow or practice those parts of the bible.

I think it would have been far more effective, for example, if that quote was much smaller and right below it was something sort of like "So you don't follow the practice of slavery, as stated in the Bible, but you do choose to practice its inherent homophobia? Think for yourself."

It of course wouldn't have the same "shock and awe" effect as their original poster but it would help a nation, who take their moral values from the bible, to seriously think about its moral relevance in today's modern society.
Reply 76
Original post by iwantcurlyhairtoo
Surprise, surprise!

Who'd have thunk it?!

Dont start with that boring crap.

Its irrelevant.

And I'm not old, I'm 20.
Reply 77
Original post by iwantcurlyhairtoo
Surprise, surprise!

Who'd have thunk it?!

Well thats an incredibly judgemental thing to say. Well done, you are proving your christian credentials.
Granted I happen to be an atheist myself, so I guess my opinion might be a bit biased. But well, I don't see what the fuss is all about; it's nothing on the level of say, this:

Reply 79
Original post by The Socktor
Granted I happen to be an atheist myself, so I guess my opinion might be a bit biased. But well, I don't see what the fuss is all about; it's nothing on the level of say, this:

My dad lives in florida, and there are quite a lot of these sort of god bumming billboards about. My step mum, who is from Colombia, is a devout christian and sleeps with a bible. Must be something in the water there :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending