The Student Room Group

Atheists 'Slaves Obey Your Masters' Billboard Raises Tempers In Pennsylvania.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lumos
being offended isn't the same as being afraid/threatened by a concept, e.g. hell. I personally am offended when people say that atheists will go to hell because it means that they actually believe I deserve eternal torment. And the fact that they accept this as part of their belief system without question, even if that means that they believe friends and family members will (and even should) go to hell, does offend me, yes. why would you wish that upon anyone?

I strongly agree. And when you've had a friend die who was an atheist, and you are told by religious fundamentalists that he will be tortured for all eternity with no chance of respite, and totally deserves it for his thought crime, that does kind of open one's eyes to the true colours of that belief system.

I doubt many who find comfort in Christian fundamentalism can claim to have had such an experience. For those fundamentalists who do lose non-believing friends to death, the only advice a fellow believer can give is "screw them". Which does show how antithetical such a belief system is to empathy or compassion.

The biggest obstacle to greater recognition of the obscenity of such a dogma, is an unthinking political correctness, which orders everyone to respect such "faith" even when it damns you and your nearest to eternal torture, and tells you you deserve it for being such a dreadful thought criminal. Now, many Christians (and Muslims) have left such dogma in the past and embraced a more enlightened and tolerant form of faith. Others prefer to live in the dark ages.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest