The Student Room Group

3 New Cities Announced

Chelmsford
Perth
St Asaph

are all awarded City Status as part of the Diamond Jubilee

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Glad to see Northampton, a town with a population almost double those 3 combined, is still pushing for city status.

Oh wait.

/botheredlocal
Reply 2
I thought Reading would get it.
Reply 3
Mate is from Chelmsford, he is pretty excited.. for some reason.
Reply 4
Reading is worth of it but didn't get it! Shocked.

Perth is worthy.

Chelmsford City FC already think their team is in a city but St Asaph? What is it with these numpty Welsh places getting city status. This is nothing against Wales but surely there's other more worthy candidates?
Not heard of any of them, nice!
Reply 6
Original post by Morgsie
I thought Reading would get it.

Me too, that's unfortunate.
Reply 7
Original post by JMustang95
Me too, that's unfortunate.

It was the bookies favourite aswell.
I'd personally be quite annoyed if my town council spent £10k+ campaigning to become a city (which gives zero benefits - it's just a name, and apparently you can just declare yourself to be a city if you want to!) when there is countless other stuff that money could be spent on.
Reply 9
Original post by callum9999
I'd personally be quite annoyed if my town council spent £10k+ campaigning to become a city (which gives zero benefits - it's just a name, and apparently you can just declare yourself to be a city if you want to!) when there is countless other stuff that money could be spent on.

IIRC there's a few benefits like extra funding.
Reply 10
I feel a bit sorry for Middlesbrough like. They could have done with it.
Small population = City
Bigger population = No city

Seems legit.
Reply 12
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Chelmsford, woop! About time :yes:

It has a cathedral, so there. :u:

Northampton's got a cathedral and a university, but didn't even bother applying. :frown:
Original post by Mufasaa
Glad to see Northampton, a town with a population almost double those 3 combined, is still pushing for city status.

Oh wait.

/botheredlocal

It always get me. Northampton is bigger than loads of cities and yet it's still a town...

Maybe it's because Northampton is a bit of a crap place?

/unbotheredlocal
Reply 14
Original post by Morgsie

St Asaph

I think the Queen is taking the piss somewhat. I'd never even heard of the place before venturing into this thread.
If they keep announcing new cities then there won't be any towns or villages left within 20 years

The only places that should be counted as cities are

London
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Manchester
Liverpool
Newcastle
Birmingham
Leeds
Belfast
Cardiff
Londonderry
Aberdeen
Swansea
Dundee
Sheffield
Does city status even mean anything? :confused:
Reply 17
Who even gives a crap? It's meaningless.
Reply 18
Original post by helen-a-ravenclaw
It always get me. Northampton is bigger than loads of cities and yet it's still a town...

Maybe it's because Northampton is a bit of a crap place?

/unbotheredlocal

It's either us or Reading who's the biggest town, don't remember which.

All the locals who're like "We're a town and we should always be a town!" annoy me. So what? It's ****.
Reply 19
Original post by Mufasaa
Northampton's got a cathedral and a university, but didn't even bother applying. :frown:

Northampton has a cathedral? I have lived in Northamptonshire for the last 15 years and I didn't know that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending