The Student Room Group

Best Uni to study COmmercial/Film music composition/production?

hey, just looking to my university options and want to go into commercial music in composition or production. Please help me choose, I have had a look and seen that Hertfordshire and Chester offer such courses. However, I have heard bad things about Hertfordshire..

I'd really appreciate your help!
Dave:smile:
Reply 1
Hi there!

I am doing the composition course (1st year), and based on what I know, I think it's the best choice I ever made to study with Herts. The classes are small, and you get so much free time to work on your stuff, use the studios, meet other musicians/animators/budding film directors (to work together to produce stuff), plus you can find staff whenever you need them, and they are very happy to help!

The down side is, the town is just soooo backwards. Nothing in the town centre, busses are so unreliable, taxi's are a rip off. It's quiet. Thats all I can say!

So if you like the quiet life and just want to study end of, Herts is the right place. If you want to party, Herts is not the right place as 1. You only got the Forum, 2. The work load for composition can get a bit too much if you don't set time aside to study!

(I like the quiet life cause I work at a busy work place, and i need SLEEP)

Hope that helps! Ask away for any other questions!
Reply 2
Original post by Amyane
Hi there!

I am doing the composition course (1st year), and based on what I know, I think .......

hey, thanks a lot for that... for the city life, is it not easy to get to to london??
and is it a busy uni.. what's the accommodation there like? :-)

Thank you,
Dave
Reply 3
Sorry for the late reply....

COURSEWORK!

London is easy to get to, but expensive! You can get the train which takes 20 mins, or a bus, then the tube.

It is a quiet-ish uni, but loads of things to do when your awake.

Accommodation: HMMMMMM! Depends on where you want to stay. Am on halls right now, got a spacious room, share bathrooms, but I have never had to wait for them. Some rooms are really small like de-hav, but at least you got your own bathroom!

Quick Reply

Latest