Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the red car correct?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Look at the image included.

Two cars, one red, and one blue come from the same single lane road which branches into two lanes at the entrance of a large roundabout.

Traffic is leaving and entering dual carriageways at exits 1 and 3. (left and right)

The red car enters the left-hand lane and indicates to the right, signalling that he is bypassing the first exit. He would then indicate to the left once passing exit 1 to leave the roundabout at exit 2.

A blue car pulls along side red at the roundabout, he doesn't indicate and the red car isnt sure if he is going to cut across red car's path and enter exit 1, try to leave on exit 2, or go around the roundabout to exit 3.

Was the red car in the correct lane for exit 2?

The image is now available.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_2untitled.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	136665
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If exits 1 & 3 are entering and leaving a dual carriageway, there will be no exit on to one of them for traffic on the roundabout (whichever has traffic coming off the dual carriageway), so, assuming you haven't yet crossed the dual carriageway at this roundabout and the road ahead takes you over it, then the left lane will be for the dual carriageway and the right lane will be for going straight on, unless marked otherwise, as the last road coming on to the roundabout will be the end of the slip road from the dual carriageway.

Alternatively, if exits 1 & 3 are the dual carriageway, then I would presume lane one was for turning left if indicating, or going straight if not, and the right lane was for turning right, unless marked otherwise, as per usual with roundabouts with two approach lanes. I would assume the blue car was turning right or, if the exit ahead has two lanes, going straight on, unless his pulling away indicated he wanted to get in front of the red car and take the first exit.

I'm presuming the red car is you, and by indicating right in the left hand lane you were confusing everybody into thinking you wanted to go right and had realised you were in the wrong lane. Yes you were in the correct lane for your exit, but personally I would only indicate left after passing the first exit, and not right at all unless I was taking an exit to the right of 'straight ahead', which in this case you weren't.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The red car is wrong for indicating right when in the left hand lane, irrespective of what sort of road the exits of the roundabout are.

If the red car wants to go straight on then no signalling is required full stop, if he wants to go left at the first exit then indicate left. If he wants to go right (3rd exit +) then he's in the wrong lane and would indicate right and have situation described by the poster above.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    where's the image?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    The red car is wrong for indicating right when in the left hand lane, irrespective of what sort of road the exits of the roundabout are.

If the red car wants to go straight on then no signalling is required full stop, if he wants to go left at the first exit then indicate left. If he wants to go right (3rd exit +) then he's in the wrong lane and would indicate right and have situation described by the poster above.
    If a car is going straight on then they need an exit signal, that is the car should signal left just after they've passed the exit before the one they intend to go off. I agree that he shouldn't have indicated right though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack7Richards)
    The red car enters the left-hand lane and indicates to the right, signalling that he is bypassing the first exit.
    He isn't signalling that - you should never be signalling right in the left hand lane unless you are planning to move into the right hand lane for some reason (usually because you are in the wrong lane, or because the lane you are in has become blocked by queuing traffic).

He would then indicate to the left once passing exit 1 to leave the roundabout at exit 2.
    That bit is correct.

A blue car pulls along side red at the roundabout, he doesn't indicate and the red car isn't sure if he is going to cut across red car's path and enter exit 1, try to leave on exit 2, or go around the roundabout to exit 3.
    If he's not indicating that you should assume (but not rely on the fact) that the blue car is heading straight on (exit 2). If he cuts across the red car to exit 1 then that is very dangerous driving. If he goes right then he forgot to indicate, which is careless but not quite as dangerous.

Yes, both lanes are acceptable for exit 2. All else being equal, most people tend to say you should use the left lane for going straight on, but quite often all is not equal.

If cars from both lane are trying to squeeze into the same single lane exit then you need to make eye contact and negotiate who is going first. Same goes for situations where you are in the wrong lane and need to move across.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 136664
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mbob)
    He isn't signalling that - you should never be signalling right in the left hand lane unless you are planning to move into the right hand lane for some reason (usually because you are in the wrong lane, or because the lane you are in has become blocked by queuing traffic).
    That's not always right.

I can think of 2 roundabout near me where you can go right in the left hand lane so in those cases you can - and should - signal right.

So saying you should "never" do it is wrong.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    That's not always right.

I can think of 2 roundabout near me where you can go right in the left hand lane so in those cases you can - and should - signal right.

Good point, I should have said in multi-lane situations where there are not instructions/road-markings to the contrary
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    That's not always right.

I dont think Ive ever come across a roundabout where you can go right from the left lane?! Maybe where you have 2 exits you could feasibly do it, but that would have to exit onto a duel carriageway.

Anyway, car number 1 is wrong for indicating, car number 2 is wrong for cutting across. Although I would expect that in a situation like that the left lane would go left ONLY and the right lane would go straight on and right. The arrows on the road, or local signs, would tell you that as you drove up to the roundabout.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends what the signs on the road say. A big roundabout like that would definitely have markings on the road - and I reckon the left lane is probably left turn only judging from the roundabout layout.

So he is probably at fault because he's in the wrong lane, but NOT because he's indicating right. Having got himself in the wrong lane, indicating right is now the safest thing for him to do because he's communicating to other road users that he's not leaving at the first exit like they might expect. Obviously, as soon as he passes the 1st exit he should indicate left.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mbob)
    Good point, I should have said in multi-lane situations where there are not instructions/road-markings to the contrary
    Thanks everyone for your input, I have passed this section of road every working day for the last few months and theres always some bugger who tries to cut me up, this is the reason I have started indicating early to alert other drivers who are intending to pass me in the right hand lane to exit 1.

I have now managed to include the image, please see OP.
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    I dont think Ive ever come across a roundabout where you can go right from the left lane?! Maybe where you have 2 exits you could feasibly do it, but that would have to exit onto a duel carriageway.
    Come visit me and we can go for a ride
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    It depends what the signs on the road say. A big roundabout like that would definitely have markings on the road - and I reckon the left lane is probably left turn only judging from the roundabout layout.

So he is probably at fault because he's in the wrong lane, but NOT because he's indicating right. Having got himself in the wrong lane, indicating right is now the safest thing for him to do because he's communicating to other road users that he's not leaving at the first exit like they might expect. Obviously, as soon as he passes the 1st exit he should indicate left.
    There arent any signs, but the road markings consist of dotted lines rather than solid lines, suggesting the option to cross lanes.

This roundabout is quite tricky, the road concerned on approach to the roundabout is a single lane road, which branches into two lanes at the mouth of the roundabout. Road markings on the left hand lane do indicate that you can use that lane to take exit 2.

I have always been under the impression that the left lane is for the first lot of exits, and that the right lane is for the last exit (on most rounabouts).

Apollogies if the road markings aren't clearly visible on the image, I couldn't zoom in anymore without losing sight of parts of the system.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)

Well I guess the very safest thing to do would be to go left, continue to the next roundabout and to a u-turn!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Road markings on the left hand lane do indicate that you can use that lane to take exit 2.
    Oh well this is the important bit then. Left lane is for exits 1 and 2, right lane is for exit 3. Blue car is at serious fault if he tries to turn left from the right hand lane. Red car shouldn't need to indicate right in this case.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your input, I have passed this section of road every working day for the last few months and theres always some bugger who tries to cut me up, this is the reason I have started indicating early to alert other drivers who are intending to pass me in the right hand lane to exit 1.

I have now managed to include the image, please see OP.
    I'm surprised it happens that often, it's some pretty shocking driving from the way you've described it. I can't see any reason for doing it, there's not even a justification of wanting to overtake given that they are going straight onto a dual carriageway.

Does most of the traffic coming from your way tend to turn left? If so I'd probably go into the right hand lane for going straight on as the lesser of two evils.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can see perhaps that if there is frequently a big queue in the left lane to turn left, then some people might wish to save time by using the right lane and turning into the right hand lane of the 1st exit. Although this is technically incorrect, there's nothing morally wrong with it, as all it does is make better use of the dual carriageway and improves the efficiency of the junction for everyone.

If this is the case, then I would simply use the right hand lane if I were you. Sometimes you just have to react to the situation you find in front of you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

If only I could use reflective learning to this calibre in my degree :|
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look at the image included.

Two cars, one red, and one blue come from the same single lane road which branches into two lanes at the entrance of a large roundabout.

Traffic is leaving and entering dual carriageways at exits 1 and 3. (left and right)

The red car enters the left-hand lane and indicates to the right, signalling that he is bypassing the first exit. He would then indicate to the left once passing exit 1 to leave the roundabout at exit 2.

A blue car pulls along side red at the roundabout, he doesn't indicate and the red car isnt sure if he is going to cut across red car's path and enter exit 1, try to leave on exit 2, or go around the roundabout to exit 3.

the red car is in the correct lane but should not indicate to the right, a lack of indication would imply he was going straight on, rather than turning left (which would warrant a left signal) he should signal left once passing exit 1.

Blue car is in the wrong lane for exit 1.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 15, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.