The Student Room Group

How big is the jump up from undergrad to Masters in terms of workload??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mbob
Perhaps, it depends. The idea of a Masters is to give you in depth knowledge of a particular aspect of a subject, so it might be appropriate to use certain modules from undergraduate courses. I wouldn't expect it to be exclusively like that though.

The fourth year of a science degree is the 'masters' year, so I don't see a huge problem with overlapping content. Most people wouldn't do 4 year undergraduate and then a stand alone masters on top.

Also some people use master's as a means to change fields so taking some undergraduate classes can be useful to bridge the gap in knowledge. Sometimes master's can be completed in either one or two years, with the first year consisting of undergraduate classes for people new to the subject.
Original post by Politricks
And which course are you doing?

Architecture, y'know, that degree that's in my sig and is my name :tongue:
Original post by Shelly_x
Huge apparently. You have about 2/3 months for your dissertation o.o;

But you also have the entire time to work on it..
Reply 23
Depends on the course and the university... for most taught masters it seems you have the same structure as undergraduate: 2 semesters with 4 modules in each but then an additional third semester for the dissertation. The modules are more advanced and require more reading but nothing too strenuous.
Original post by Architecture-er
Architecture, y'know, that degree that's in my sig and is my name :tongue:

Oh haha, nice
Oh haha, nice

How about you? (I don't want to guess Politics just in case you picked that name on a whim :biggrin: )
Reply 26
Original post by Mbob
I don't think the step up is normally that big. Masters degrees at some universities use modules from 3rd/4th year undergraduate courses, so the difficulty is essentially the same. I'm sure it varies from subject to subject and from place to place though, as does the difficulty of undergraduate courses.

Some unis may have undergrads and postgrads attending the same lectures, but the assignments and exams might be pitched differently for undergrad and masters.

Original post by Ghost6
It is significantly shorter than a PhD and is completed in 2-3 months rather than 2-3 years. It may or may not include original material. Basically it is a long paper about some advanced aspect of your subject. For instance it may involve reproducing some analysis on a new dataset or something like that.

This varies - many unis don't require original research in masters but some departments do.

Original post by dgeorge
Most likely words, definitely not characters

My Masters thesis was 10,000 words, but I only ended up writing a bit over 7,000.

Masters theses usually range between 8-12,000 max

Again, this varies a lot. The course I am looking at applying for requires a 25000 word masters thesis (and it has to be original). Others I have looked at ask 15000 words or more. So clearly there is no standard length.
Reply 27
Based on my experience this year..
- the pass mark is higher
- where you share modules with undergrads there are different assessments (usually more coursework)
- you will have more work to do during the vacations (we were warned about this but the biggest whinge from the people doing my course who are doing it right after undergrad is that we have so much to do over easter that it isn't really a break at all)
- busking it on the basis of a couple of textbooks and lecture notes may get you a pass but if you want a good mark you need to be reading plenty of papers too
Original post by Architecture-er
How about you? (I don't want to guess Politics just in case you picked that name on a whim :biggrin: )

I'm in Sixth Form, not at University yet, still thinking about what I should do.
Biochemistry, maybe Pharmacy, I really need to make my mind up :confused:
Reply 29
I'm in Sixth Form, not at University yet, still thinking about what I should do.
Biochemistry, maybe Pharmacy, I really need to make my mind up :confused:

Have you visited the Uni? Have you check all the modules and content? Please do :smile:
The answer is that the jump is as big or as small as you want it to be. The actual amount of work I did at MPhil in terms of word count was smaller (25k across four pieces of work) than third-year undergraduate (27k + three exams) but it was undoubtedly harder work. Smaller groups, more onus to speak and research independently, continually on the spot to produce things and get involved in the research community, as well as knowing that the marking is a lot more stringent. It's conceivable that you could take the same approach as third year but I think that would be to miss the point of the MA/Msc/MPhil.
Reply 31
Original post by loyan
Basically in terms of exam preparation do people usually go through a book or two and the lecture notes and then practice using past papers? Or it it much more difficult than undergrad level?

In terms of undergrad level most of my revision (same course but at undergrad level at a different uni) was done using past exam papers and lecture notes and seminar questions and was enough to get ~80% overall. The questions change from past papers but the structure and method for answering most questions are usually very similar if you know what you're doing.

I know grading at postgraduate level is more strict but in terms of the content that's likely to come up in exams, are they more or less similar to those that came in the papers before or are exams usually have completely different questions to previous ones?

Also more specific, I'm due to start the course MSc in Accounting and Finance at LSE in October and wanted some advice from people who've done the course before regarding the above in addition to how it is at other places.

Thanks.

It depends a lot on your field, and as others have said the particular university and programme too. I deliberately picked a programme that had no exams, because I felt they continuously dragged my marks down at undergraduate level (simply because I could not write fast enough in an exam).

Coursework in my third-year was fluid because, while there was generally a word-limit of, say, 2500 words, lecturers were keen to encourage me so I would quite often go over 3000 words in order to say what I had to say. Coursework at masters level was 5000 words across the board, and I felt there was a big step up in terms of actually being more critical, which is what the lecturers want you to fill these extra words with, but also writing coherent essays over this length. It is basically a small journal article.

More importantly, there are no past exam papers and lecture notes; or there were none for me. There were set questions for essays, but lecturers encouraged students to be independent. In all but one essay, I created my own questions, and in some essays actually engaged with material that was not on the syllabus. In terms of teaching, there was rarely if ever any formal lecture notes; it was all seminar based.

Then there was the dissertation... It will either be the worst experience of your academic life or you will know you want to do doctoral research.

For accounting, I know much of what I have said will not apply, but I imagine a lot of the lecturers will have the same expectations, or at least will encourage you, regarding independence etc.. I think you are in for a real shock if you think simply repeating the lecturer's material will get you the sort of marks you are used to. You are moving towards a level where you should be critical of your lecturer's material!
Reply 32
Original post by sj27
Some unis may have undergrads and postgrads attending the same lectures, but the assignments and exams might be pitched differently for undergrad and masters.

This varies - many unis don't require original research in masters but some departments do.

Again, this varies a lot. The course I am looking at applying for requires a 25000 word masters thesis (and it has to be original). Others I have looked at ask 15000 words or more. So clearly there is no standard length.

As I said, usually. Although I would guess that it would vary between schools/departments, and most of the people I know were generally in the Social Sciences, so as you say there is no standard length, but it's just what I observed with the people who were doing masters theses with me.

But 25,000 words? DAMN thats long. Humanities I'm guessing?
Reply 33
Original post by dgeorge
As I said, usually. Although I would guess that it would vary between schools/departments, and most of the people I know were generally in the Social Sciences, so as you say there is no standard length, but it's just what I observed with the people who were doing masters theses with me.

But 25,000 words? DAMN thats long. Humanities I'm guessing?

Social science, actually, but on a course that is one of those specifically set up as a PhD pathway (hence also the requirement for originality, which is also unusual at masters level apparently, as well as a requirement to submit a research proposal with the application - again not usual at masters level). That said, I have already done another masters where the dissertation was 15000 words, and in my experience that is quite "normal" - I've personally not seen/heard of many where the dissertation is shorter than that. But I think the point is really that requirements vary widely.

Also, to back up what some others have said, from my MSc, I don't think it's generally all that hard to pass a masters, but you do have to work harder than at undergrad, and differently, if you want a distinction.
Reply 34
Original post by sj27
Social science, actually, but on a course that is one of those specifically set up as a PhD pathway (hence also the requirement for originality, which is also unusual at masters level apparently, as well as a requirement to submit a research proposal with the application - again not usual at masters level). That said, I have already done another masters where the dissertation was 15000 words, and in my experience that is quite "normal" - I've personally not seen/heard of many where the dissertation is shorter than that. But I think the point is really that requirements vary widely.

Also, to back up what some others have said, from my MSc, I don't think it's generally all that hard to pass a masters, but you do have to work harder than at undergrad, and differently, if you want a distinction.

Ok I see. Different strokes for diffferent folks I guess, as I haven't heard of a 15,000 word masters!

I think with Master's, you're expected to do a bit more "critical analysis" as opposed to regurgitation of material.
Reply 35
Most of the engineering or technical (part time) MSc courses I have seen recently expect 9 taught modules with with exam and/or essay assessment coupled with a 10000-15000 word thesis or "project" as they prefer to call it. Mine was 15000 words exc methodology and Appendices.

TBD
Reply 36
Original post by dgeorge
Ok I see. Different strokes for diffferent folks I guess, as I haven't heard of a 15,000 word masters!

I think with Master's, you're expected to do a bit more "critical analysis" as opposed to regurgitation of material.

I would say 15,000 words is standard for most humanities programmes; with a few universities dipping to 10,000 words and a few going close to 20,000 words.
Reply 37
I found my MSc was pretty much the same workload as my 3rd year. The dissertation was much longer sure but I had longer to devote to it over the summer.
Reply 38
The workload was pretty similar, but the style was different. If you are undertaking a follow-on kind of course then you can expect more of the same, but with the executive post-experience kind of course it is a lot more discussion, syndicate exercises and sharing experiences and a lot less lecturer talk-and-chalk.

Certainly there will be a lot less prescriptive this-is-the-way-things-are kind of presentation. This style of delivery from fragmented sources means that you need to piece-together the information by reading far more widely than at undergrad level and question everything you read.

The exams tend to be open questions: "how would you approach...", "if you were establishing and engineering facility in country X, how would you...."
rather than closed questions expecting a specific methodology.

So...to pass requires the same level of workload in my view, but to excel requires a level of effort well beyond achieving such success at undergraduate level.

To undertake the project/thesis requires a lot of self-motivation and far more work than the 300hrs estimated by the university.

To summarise: easier to pass, more difficult to excel.

TBD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending