Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

STEP II and III

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    What proportion of applicants attain a grade S in STEP II and III?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_T...mination_Paper

It seems to be around 12%. However, I think getting an S in STEP is probably more inclined towards meeting a certain standard of maths and slightly less about relative scores in relation to other candidates.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Too many people are achieving S-grades. They need to make an S* or S2-grade to filter out the people that just walk into Cambridge!!!!!11
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhy)
    Too many people are achieving S-grades. They need to make an S* or S2-grade to filter out the people that just walk into Cambridge!!!!!11
    You're joking right? You do know that the 12% of people who get S grades in II and III are 12% from a sample of mathematicians who have offers from Cambridge/ Warwick or are students who just want to sit the exam - i.e. they are the top x% of A level students.

I think the 'S' boundary is normally around 90~100, and it is higher in III. Getting >100 in STEP (i.e. getting more than 5 perfect solutions) is an incredibly high standard in my opinion.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how many of those that do manage to get grade S (in II and III) come from non fee paying schools?

The only person I know who got anywhere near grade S, (it was actually grade S in II and 1 in III) came from one of the top fee-paying schools and ended up at Imperial.

Is it possible to get top grades without expert tuition?

Also, does anyone know if the majority of those that obtain a grade S are from the UK or abroad?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 16, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.