The Student Room Group

Does anyone think that coursework deadline policies are too harsh?

Scroll to see replies

I just think it's harsh for anyone to get zero marks for it only being a little bit late though. You would get the same amount of marks if you didn't do it at all!!!
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Its a fairly easy situation to avoid, do it earlier and avoid this mess. I dont agree with a loss of a mark per minute, think about it from the universities point of view, its an organisational nightmare, compared to the relativly simple, everyone has X time, if you dont meet this then tough.

It's not remotely a nightmare and would take virtually no effort (though I think doing it per minute is just ridiculous - my uni does it per day).

The vast majority get it in on time, and for the few that don't, all the marker has to do is detract 10% of the mark for each day it's late, which should take about 10 seconds to work out at most.
Original post by callum9999
It's not remotely a nightmare and would take virtually no effort (though I think doing it per minute is just ridiculous - my uni does it per day).

The vast majority get it in on time, and for the few that don't, all the marker has to do is detract 10% of the mark for each day it's late, which should take about 10 seconds to work out at most.

Its still wasted time and effort making up for a students laziness.
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Its still wasted time and effort making up for a students laziness.

That's life...

(Not that a few seconds of basic arithmetic takes up any significant amount of time).
That's life...

(Not that a few seconds of basic arithmetic takes up any significant amount of time).

Maybe the student who gets his/her work in late and fails is the one who needs remember that 'that's life'.

I have zero sympathy for anyone missing their deadline. For legitimate reasons you can apply for a damn extension. If you don't get it, tough. If you leave your work until the last minute and miss the deadline and get no marks, tough. That's life.
Original post by el pollo diablo
Maybe the student who gets his/her work in late and fails is the one who needs remember that 'that's life'.

I have zero sympathy for anyone missing their deadline. For legitimate reasons you can apply for a damn extension. If you don't get it, tough. If you leave your work until the last minute and miss the deadline and get no marks, tough. That's life.

Well I don't see any logic in the reasoning that allowing late work, but penalising it accordingly, is somehow wrong?

If the university decides the deadline is the deadline then yes, tough - that's life. If the university decides that you can have an extra 5 days to get it in before it's marked as 0% then what's the issue with it?
Well I don't see any logic in the reasoning that allowing late work, but penalising it accordingly, is somehow wrong?

If the university decides the deadline is the deadline then yes, tough - that's life. If the university decides that you can have an extra 5 days to get it in before it's marked as 0% then what's the issue with it?

I never said it was wrong for universities to operate a policy like that. If the university does that, great, cool whatever. But if that's not the university's policy (ie, work must be on time or it gets 0% - as it is at my university) then students are likely to know this before even getting their first essay and it is then their responsibility to get the work submitted on time. It's not difficult.
Reply 27
Could have finished it a bit earlier deadline policy's are for a reason.
Rules are rules, its not like in the working world you can say sorry Boss I didn't do that report on time because I was out drinking 3 nights a week and only sat down to wrote it 4 hours before the deadline

Everyone knows the deadline, and you have to be fair on those who meet the deadline

Ours used to be a 0 mark if you had no good reason, our deadlines where always 10am, so a pain if you wasn't on campus that day, so I always had sure I did the work to hand it in the day before
Politics work had a deadline off 8am
(edited 12 years ago)
A deadline is a deadline, if you were late finishing tasks at work you could lose the company money and thus your job. It sets you up well for work to learn to manage your time properly. It's your fault you finished it late really, and the university is strict on late submissions because it just wouldn't be fair on other students who handed it in on time for you to be treated the same.
cba with people who leave work until the last minute and then complain about deadlines. Sort your life out and you wont get penalties.
I never said the work itself was easy, just that making a deadline you're warned about at least a week in advance isn't difficult.

If you're not willing to get the work done early or even on time, or if you're not willing to learn how to schedule your stuff to make it work, that's your own fault. That's the easy stuff.
Surely the best students will take up as much time as possible though :wink: for example they would be constantly checking their essays & thinking about anything to put in that would make it of a better standard. You just have to make sure you don't leave it too late lol
Well it is a bit over the top for a few minutes but then it's the same on my course, not sure about others at my university.

Late submission=no submission

And if you have a no submission or failed unit within one module you fail the whole module...i don't like it and i think that they should do an average of the whole module but we were all told what we were getting ourselves in for at the start of the course.
Reply 34
Some courses do something like a 75% reduction in marks but I personally don't have a problem with the late submission thing.

Don't leave it until last minute next time, it's your own damn fault.
I would have thought that would be obvious when I said that if there are extenuating circumstances that mean you can't meet a deadline, apply for an extension.

If there's no genuine reason, then get the work done and submit it on time. Or don't and lose the marks. This stuff really is so simple.
That's life...

You really have no leg to stand on, 'thats life' applies to the students too unorganised to complete work on time. If you have a week to do an assignment and start it 1 hour before the deadline, you really cannot cry about it if you hand it in late and get 0.

We arnt Year 7s anymore you know...
Meh not really, although I think it should be the same across all Universities.

At mine it's an instant cap of 40% if it's late, if it's over 5 days late, then you just get no marks.

There's always a rush. I have an assignment due in today by 4pm(always the hand in time), I've already done it but I haven't set off to uni yet. I'll get there 90 mins before my lecture so I can hopefully grab a computer. If I can't..I'll just miss the lecture tbh, but usually it's not a problem, especially because this time the assignment date only applies to half of those on our module and not everyone, so less people queuing to print it off. Usually I bring it printed off to avoid this but it's an A3 poster and alas I cannot print in A3.
It's a bit harsh imo, my uni is the same though. They used to have a 10% reduction for every week over the limit, but then people would deliberately hand in work later knowing that even with the 10% less marks they'd still get higher than they would have done if they rushed it last minute. My question was why leave it last minute then? But that's some students for you.
Why all the negs people :confused: surely doing something (albeit a bit late) is better than not at all :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending