The Student Room Group

KCL, SOAS or Edinburgh for Middle East Studies

Hi,

I've applied for the following postgraduate degrees:

Oxford (M.St in Oriental Studies)(don't know yet whether they've admitted me)
King's College London (MA in Middle East and Mediterranean Studies) (admitted)
University of Edinburgh (MSc in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies) (admitted)
SOAS (MSc in Middle East Politics) (don't know yet)
University of Exeter (MA Middle East Studies) (admitted)
Lund University (Sweden) (MA Middle Eastern Studies)(Admitted, but I rejected their offer)

I will also probably reject Exeter's offer. And I'm not sure whether Oxford will admit me. Hopefully SOAS will, so I'll will have to choose between SOAS, KCL and Edinburgh.

Can you guys give me some advice about which University is the best regarding academics, student life, internship and job prospects and name recognition outside the UK (I'm not British)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hey there!

Just found this post you made some years ago... I'm sorry you didn't have any feedback to your question.
I'm having kind of the same doubts you were and am torn between SOAS and KCL for Middle Eastern Studies. The only thing swaying me towards SOAS is the fact that I would be doing the MA with the intensive Arabic track, which I think would be very valuable.

What did you end up doing? Are you happy with the choice you made? Do you gave any advice? Any help would be great!

Thank you very much for your help! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by franciscofcosta
Hey there!

Just found this post you made some years ago... I'm sorry you didn't have any feedback to your question.
I'm having kind of the same doubts you were and am torn between SOAS and KCL for Middle Eastern Studies. The only thing swaying me towards SOAS is the fact that I would be doing the MA with the intensive Arabic track, which I think would be very valuable.

What did you end up doing? Are you happy with the choice you made? Do you gave any advice? Any help would be great!

Thank you very much for your help! :smile:

Choose KCL.

SOAS is crap.
Original post by EdCohen
Choose KCL.

SOAS is crap.

Hey!
Thanks for the reply. Did you have any bad experience personally with SOAS? Why do you think it is really not good?

Thanks a lot!
Reply 4
Original post by franciscofcosta
Hey!
Thanks for the reply. Did you have any bad experience personally with SOAS? Why do you think it is really not good?

Thanks a lot!

Yh my elder brother graduated from SOAS.

Him and his fellow SOAS graduates are finding it very hard to get a job.
Because the uni doesn't have a good rep.

Plus there are a lot of hippies there and mature students (I'm talking 40/50yr olds trying to befriend you).

KCL far more established, prestigious, better if you want to go to into academia, and better employment prospects.

Truss me choose Kings.
Thank you for your reply!
Definitely something that leaves me thinking about it. I've read similar opinions and I'm definitely considering KCL more seriously now...

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending