Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should you choose a university for it's reputation or for the course?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have to decide which university to firm between Sheffield, Bristol and Manchester, and I haven't a clue :/ I'm applying for Biological sciences (biochem) and I've been to see Bristol and Manchester, but I haven't seen Sheffield... I loved the look of Bristol, but the course didn't sound so good... And I thought Manchester wasn't so "pretty", even though the course sounds great!
    Can anyone give me some advice?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, you'll be living there for the next 3/4 years so it makes sense to like the city you'll be living in.

I've been to Sheffield and Bristol and I personally thought Bristol is a much more beautiful city. Sheffield seems a bit... Soulless.
    Have you attended any of their open days?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simple Symphony)
    Well, you'll be living there for the next 3/4 years so it makes sense to like the city you'll be living in.

I've been to Sheffield and Bristol and I personally thought Bristol is a much more beautiful city. Sheffield seems a bit... Soulless.
    I went to Bristol on a sort of Biological Sciences Open Day. I visited the town and the department. And I went to Manchester for an interview, as I live abroad it isn't very simple...
    I would like to have a look at Sheffield too, but I won't be able to I think. :/
    Where are you studying?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PipGrove)
    I have to decide which university to firm between Sheffield, Bristol and Manchester, and I haven't a clue :/ I'm applying for Biological sciences (biochem) and I've been to see Bristol and Manchester, but I haven't seen Sheffield... I loved the look of Bristol, but the course didn't sound so good... And I thought Manchester wasn't so "pretty", even though the course sounds great!
    Can anyone give me some advice?
    I would prioritise the course > location. Personally, I wouldn't want to stay somewhere for 3-4 years if I didn't enjoy the course. However, you should also look into career prospects after graduating and student life at the universities to see which suits you best.

(Original post by Simple Symphony)

I would have to disagree with that. :naughty: Sheffield's student life is simply amazing and our student union has won countless awards for student satisfaction etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went to Bristol on a sort of Biological Sciences Open Day. I visited the town and the department. And I went to Manchester for an interview, as I live abroad it isn't very simple...
    I would like to have a look at Sheffield too, but I won't be able to I think. :/
    Where are you studying?
    Well I live in london, and hoping to study Medicine at either Cardiff or Kings College London.
    Well, Sheffield is a small city and to me it felt like a village.. So i guess it depends on your preference. I really liked Bristol's city centre, although it is quite a hilly place!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind the hills, I live on a hill!! Everyone has different opinions so it's really hard to decide :/ they are 3 great unis from what I've heard...
    I would like to know which one gives me the "best employability". That would probably be my firm
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    I would prioritise the course > location. Personally, I wouldn't want to stay somewhere for 3-4 years if I didn't enjoy the course. However, you should also look into career prospects after graduating and student life at the universities to see which suits you best.

I would have to disagree with that. :naughty: Sheffield's student life is simply amazing and our student union has won countless awards for student satisfaction etc.
    What are you studying in Sheffield?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    pends what u wanna study i'd have thought. for me, it matters little what rathole i go to, so long as my chosen course (if i get on it) is accredited.

i just read your OP with my brains in gear

go for the one that has the best course that suits you (course content), then consider location etc.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are you studying in Sheffield?
    Medicine.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashtoreth)
    pends what u wanna study i'd have thought. for me, it matters little what rathole i go to, so long as my chosen course (if i get on it) is accredited.

i just read your OP with my brains in gear

go for the one that has the best course that suits you (course content), then consider location etc.
    I think I should definitely go and visit Sheffield, because I only have a real idea of Bristol and Manchester's courses. I preferred Manchester's course, it was really flexible and focused on bio more than chemistry!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Medicine.
    I know that Sheffield is excellent for Biological Sciences. Do you know anyone on a Bio sci course? And if you do, what do they think?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know that Sheffield is excellent for Biological Sciences. Do you know anyone on a Bio sci course? And if you do, what do they think?
    Quite a few. :yep:

They're quite enjoying the course. Everyones opinion varies so it really is best if you come to one of our open days and check it out first-hand if possible
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    course>>>>>>>>>reputation

I wouldnt choose a mediocre University if it had an amazing course but neither would I choose an amazing University if the course was mediocre
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Thanks I'll make sure I come and visit! Who knows? I might firm Sheffield!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    thats what i did Im currently a fresher at Lincoln University - and altho its sorta mid-league table currently (working its way up though) for my course it is 3rd in the country! =)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    course>>>>>>>>>reputation

I wouldnt choose a mediocre University if it had an amazing course but neither would I choose an amazing University if the course was mediocre
    Hum... That's exactly my problem!
    The city of Bristol was perfect for me... But the course... Not so perfect. You can't even pick a modern language, but you can do a year in industry so that's pretty good. And Manchester. Well I didn't love it that much even though the course is fantastic.
    I will be living in a different country to my homeland so it's important that I feel 100% good!
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am looking at a wide range of factors tbh.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unununium)
    thats what i did Im currently a fresher at Lincoln University - and altho its sorta mid-league table currently (working its way up though) for my course it is 3rd in the country! =)
    But what do you think of the city? Student life?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smirnoff)
    I am looking at a wide range of factors tbh.
    What factors? Have you firmed a university yet?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    But what do you think of the city? Student life?
    Well lincoln is my local city, so i know it well anyway. the student night life is brilliant, the uni is gorgeous so thats all a bonus! But i primarily picked it for how good it is for forensic science! all the other stuff just sorta adds to it

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 15, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.