The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
My teachers are pretty useless , they gave me Me a grade A in all my mocks and then in jan I get a C fml , alright it's kids harder to do long term and short term effects for some points
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 101
Original post by kingam
Alright thanks do you think you would get evaluation marks for Giving a bad and good point of the same thing if you get what I mean , like if a business moves to china prices may reduce through labour costs , but on the other hand due to Chinese boom , other prices may be higher therefore prices ain't much difference

i think u can do that and will get u marks as it is a part of evaluation
Reply 102
Original post by Chronoscon
Our teacher calls those 'however' points, which come under the category of 'analysis marks'. So yeh like a benefit for China being its cheap and plentiful labour supply, however businesses face the risk of intellectual property theft and limited foreign government support in their favour. That's a knowledge and analysis mark right there (perhaps also an application mark for acknowledging china's large population). The evaluation comes by mentioning shorter and longer term impacts e.g. China's middle class sector is expanding rapidly, and people are already demanding higher wage rates - a better place for cheap prolonged labour would be e.g. Taiwan or Bangladesh where supply is still high and expectations low.

Correct me if i'm wrong anyone :colondollar:

i think you are allowed to do that and is right. we just go through knowlege, identification, analysis, evaluation.
you're teacher gives much better explanations then mine
it scares me how much knowledge you all seem to have, crappin myself now :confused:
Reply 104
Our teacher calls those 'however' points, which come under the category of 'analysis marks'. So yeh like a benefit for China being its cheap and plentiful labour supply, however businesses face the risk of intellectual property theft and limited foreign government support in their favour. That's a knowledge and analysis mark right there (perhaps also an application mark for acknowledging china's large population). The evaluation comes by mentioning shorter and longer term impacts e.g. China's middle class sector is expanding rapidly, and people are already demanding higher wage rates - a better place for cheap prolonged labour would be e.g. Taiwan or Bangladesh where supply is still high and expectations low.

:frown: not good , think I will just have to stick to short term and long term then
Reply 105
kk im back, lets begin with the question
Evaluate the benefits to Nestle of growing through mergers and takeovers in the Chinese Market ( how many marks?? i think its usually around 8)
Original post by PPF
kk im back, lets begin with the question
Evaluate the benefits to Nestle of growing through mergers and takeovers in the Chinese Market ( how many marks?? i think its usually around 8)

bullet points or full answer?
Reply 107

Congrats on having the 100th post on somthing that started out lifeless :smile:
Reply 108
Original post by kingam
My teachers are pretty useless , they gave me Me a grade A in all my mocks and then in jan I get a C fml , alright it's kids harder to do long term and short term effects for some points

LOL! same here. i think it was the global marketing question i stumped on. i got 0/8 but i got 11/15 for q9
Reply 109
i say full answers- its better prep and helps in building up the points. What say?
Original post by PPF
LOL! same here. i think it was the global marketing question i stumped on. i got 0/8 but i got 11/15 for q9

i didn't even take the exam in jan! first and only chance tomorrow
Reply 111
I messed that one up on why is England an attract place for fdi something along those lines anyways
Reply 112
Original post by kingam
I messed that one up on why is England an attract place for fdi something along those lines anyways

yh i know why i messed up. Q5 and 6 i only gave one point each so got capped on 3 marks, Q8 my evaluation was not in context so i got capped down to 5 marks. but anyways thats the past
Original post by Rizzy J
i think you are allowed to do that and is right. we just go through knowlege, identification, analysis, evaluation.
you're teacher gives much better explanations then mine

Yeh, actually I might put this up for the benefit of those who haven't discussed question format with their teachers:

Answer format for different mark questions

6 marks = Definition + 2 points (either both for, or one however, explain and give context)

8 marks = Definition + 2 points (for, explain and context) + 1 however (explain and context)

9/10 marks = Definition + 2 points + 1 however + Brief conclusion

12 marks = Definition + 2 points + 2 however + detailed conclusion (short and long term impacts)

15 marks = Definition + 3 points + 2 however + very detailed conclusion (short & long term)

Exam Structure for marks

20% = Knowledge and understanding (e.g. definitions, main argument point)

20% = Application (apply answer to source material or question e.g. referencing things that make [x] unique in your answer)

30% = analysis (a further explanation for your point, or a however)

30% = evaluation (giving balance - mentioning short and long term, extending your argument further beyond the question perhaps..)

We were told to write all that at the front of our folders at the start of the year :biggrin:
Reply 114
Original post by PPF
yh i know why i messed up. Q5 and 6 i only gave one point each so got capped on 3 marks, Q8 my evaluation was not in context so i got capped down to 5 marks. but anyways thats the past

Let's Hope we do better tommorow :smile:, the exams in the afternoon right ?
Reply 115
Original post by kingam
Let's Hope we do better tommorow :smile:, the exams in the afternoon right ?

Yeah. Why arent you guys doing the question? do it and post it up so we can mark each others and improve our own answers
Reply 116
Original post by PPF
Yeah. Why arent you guys doing the question? do it and post it up so we can mark each others and improve our own answers

Which question I will do it , kinda tired today had a chem
Exam :frown:
Reply 117
PPF can u copy paste the case. I cant read it from any source u've given
Original post by PPF
Evaluate the benefits to Nestle of growing through mergers and takeovers in the Chinese Market (8 marks)

[definition] A merger is the process where two firms join together to act as one organisation and benefit from economic and managerial synergies.

[point 1] First, Nestlé will see firm increases in revenue and profits if they take an inorganic growth route, for example merging with local Chinese chocolate manufacturers. By doing this, they will eliminate local competition, as well as expanding company size and local expertise.

[point 2] Second, mergers will allow Nestlé to diversify their product range in China without diluting or confusing their brand image. This means they can cover a wider area of the Chinese consumer market, generating more revenue, and benefitting further from economies of scale.

[However 1] However, inorganic growth can be risky, particularly in foreign markets. Debts can easily be incurred, and the process of mergers and takeovers are generally distasteful transactions. It could resultantly be hard to motivate workers, and managerial discrepancies and disagreements may occur. There are also risks of expanding the line of command throgh horizontal integration, and large costs involved, e.g. employing more managers for different branches of the company.

Man, that took me way too long. Anyone care to mark?

Go easy on me :colondollar:
Original post by CallMeNab
PPF can u copy paste the case. I cant read it from any source u've given

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303678704576438601999980390.html this link worked for me, could give that one a try?

Latest

Trending

Trending