The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by PPF
Yeah. Why arent you guys doing the question? do it and post it up so we can mark each others and improve our own answers

oh can't do this now my laptop had the answer and it's in use :frown: will have to post it later on. think people are writing the answers hence no replies
Reply 121
Original post by Chronoscon
[definition] A merger is the process where two firms join together to act as one organisation and benefit from economic and managerial synergies.

[point 1] First, Nestlé will see firm increases in revenue and profits if they take an inorganic growth route, for example merging with local Chinese chocolate manufacturers. By doing this, they will eliminate local competition, as well as expanding company size and local expertise.

[point 2] Second, mergers will allow Nestlé to diversify their product range in China without diluting or confusing their brand image. This means they can cover a wider area of the Chinese consumer market, generating more revenue, and benefitting further from economies of scale.

[However 1] However, inorganic growth can be risky, particularly in foreign markets. Debts can easily be incurred, and the process of mergers and takeovers are generally distasteful transactions. It could resultantly be hard to motivate workers, and managerial discrepancies and disagreements may occur. There are also risks of expanding the line of command throgh horizontal integration, and large costs involved, e.g. employing more managers for different branches of the company.

Man, that took me way too long. Anyone care to mark?

Go easy on me :colondollar:

thats quite good. the analysis is really nice
Reply 122
Go easy on me please.

A takeover is essentially when one firm buys another or buys at least 51% share in another business.

Nestle has recently bought 60% stake in China’s Hsu Fu Chi. There are many benefits in this for Nestle. Firstly this will enable Nestle to better exploit purchasing economic of scale. This is that as Nestle will increase output for example bulk buying ingredients such as sugar etc it will be able to buy at a lower cost per unit and so reducing Nestlé’s average cost. This would firstly raise competitiveness for Nestle as they can now pass on lower retail prices or they could simply absorb larger profit margins which could be re-invested into R&D or other costs such as market research which would be requires when entering a foreign market such as China.

Secondly this takeover will help Nestle acquire local knowledge. For example as the stimulus depicts the Chinese market is rather unique and diverse for example cucumber cookies etc and this is something new to Nestle however through acquiring Hsu Fu Chi Nestle integrate and overcome these barriers much easily and so this will firstly reduce costs such as market research and through the ability to provide more localised products Nestle will be able to increase sales which may yield greater profits.

However in evaluation there are also many drawbacks to the takeover. Firstly it could lead to diseconomies of scale for Nestle. This is because if the firm grows too large then it could demotivate workers as they feel less valued within a much larger firm and so productivity will fall and average costs rise. Moreover if Nestle doesn’t rationalize efficiently then this could lead do duplication of roles further decreasing efficiency and raising average costs and so reducing profits for Nestle.

Secondly the takeover could be unsuccessful if there is clash of corporate culture which is very possible as both Nestle and Hsu Fu Chi come from different countries/backgrounds etc and so there could be poor integration between workers leading to further inefficiencies.

To conclude yes in the shorter run Nestle will be faced with rather high costs of setting up in the Chinese market however in the long run this is most likely to yield great profits and a high return on the investment as the Chinese confectionary market is showing positive growth since 2005 and has grown 65%
Reply 123
Merger is the combining of two or more companies, generally by offering the stockholders of one company securities in the acquiring company in exchange for the surrender of their stock.

Benefits:
-Hsu Fu Chi alraeady has a huge market share in China confectionery market and when Nestle merges with it, it is a quick way to gain a large market share and eliminating competition from other companies.
-Nestle aims to derive about 45% of emerging market revenue, which is over 30% right now- Largely helped by the takeover. Different companies have different goals and merger can help a company grow internationally.
is this any good? cant think of the however point tho
def: merger is when two companies join together to create a larger business

- benefit from gaining employees with knowledge of new market in China, could help to reduce cultural differences and language barriers. reduce time and money spent in researching new market

- reduces competition in huge potential market (1.3b people), increase profits and market share and can compete against no.1 candy brand in china Mars.

- could be risky due to competition from mars, already have backing from consumers and sponsered olympics, well known to customers and nestle could be targetting for price wars.

very vague, but a few little points!
Reply 125
Whenever i read this case study i always think that this HAS been made for unit 3. this is exactly how the case studies in the exams are
Reply 126
Original post by amiekingswell
def: merger is when two companies join together to create a larger business

- benefit from gaining employees with knowledge of new market in China, could help to reduce cultural differences and language barriers. reduce time and money spent in researching new market

- reduces competition in huge potential market (1.3b people), increase profits and market share and can compete against no.1 candy brand in china Mars.

- could be risky due to competition from mars, already have backing from consumers and sponsered olympics, well known to customers and nestle could be targetting for price wars.

very vague, but a few little points!

Great application and also i think the point about mars is very good too
Original post by PPF
Go easy on me please.

A takeover is essentially when one firm buys another or buys at least 51% share in another business.

Nestle has recently bought 60% stake in China’s Hsu Fu Chi. There are many benefits in this for Nestle. Firstly this will enable Nestle to better exploit purchasing economic of scale. This is that as Nestle will increase output for example bulk buying ingredients such as sugar etc it will be able to buy at a lower cost per unit and so reducing Nestlé’s average cost. This would firstly raise competitiveness for Nestle as they can now pass on lower retail prices or they could simply absorb larger profit margins which could be re-invested into R&D or other costs such as market research which would be requires when entering a foreign market such as China.

Secondly this takeover will help Nestle acquire local knowledge. For example as the stimulus depicts the Chinese market is rather unique and diverse for example cucumber cookies etc and this is something new to Nestle however through acquiring Hsu Fu Chi Nestle integrate and overcome these barriers much easily and so this will firstly reduce costs such as market research and through the ability to provide more localised products Nestle will be able to increase sales which may yield greater profits.

However in evaluation there are also many drawbacks to the takeover. Firstly it could lead to diseconomies of scale for Nestle. This is because if the firm grows too large then it could demotivate workers as they feel less valued within a much larger firm and so productivity will fall and average costs rise. Moreover if Nestle doesn’t rationalize efficiently then this could lead do duplication of roles further decreasing efficiency and raising average costs and so reducing profits for Nestle.

Secondly the takeover could be unsuccessful if there is clash of corporate culture which is very possible as both Nestle and Hsu Fu Chi come from different countries/backgrounds etc and so there could be poor integration between workers leading to further inefficiencies.

To conclude yes in the shorter run Nestle will be faced with rather high costs of setting up in the Chinese market however in the long run this is most likely to yield great profits and a high return on the investment as the Chinese confectionary market is showing positive growth since 2005 and has grown 65%

Lol, there's no doubt that would be full marks for an 8 mark question, probably 12 or 15 as well, but practically can you write that in 8 minutes? I'm told its mark-a-minute principle.

Also I'm told you don't need a conclusion for the 8 markers? Im just saying because I know the importance of not wasting too much time on the lower mark questions so you can get onto the 12 and 15 markers in time.
Original post by PPF
Go easy on me please.

Such good points! a lot put down too, can be good but might affect timing? (maybe i'm just a slow writer :smile:)
Reply 129
guys i still cant get my hand on the article :frown: plz try pasting it here :frown:
Reply 130
ive got a lot of writing practice lol but that would take me around 10 minutes on paper, yes its two marks more but the 6 markers are rather fast
Reply 131
i told you to search " nestle hsu fu chi" in google it will be the second link it opens in full that way
Right - one question is more than enough practice for me chaps :colone:

I'm signing off for the night. Gotta chillax and wake up early tommorow for my 3 hours of pre-exam cramming.

Good luck everyone - get a good nights sleep tonight. :colondollar:
Reply 133
Original post by Chronoscon
Lol, there's no doubt that would be full marks for an 8 mark question, probably 12 or 15 as well, but practically can you write that in 8 minutes? I'm told its mark-a-minute principle.

Also I'm told you don't need a conclusion for the 8 markers? Im just saying because I know the importance of not wasting too much time on the lower mark questions so you can get onto the 12 and 15 markers in time.

No dont make that mistake mate, section A's 8 marker doesnt need evaluation but in section b it does.
Reply 134
Nestlé is mostly likely going to grow within the Chinese market , as a merger or a takeover is a way of inorganic growth , one way it's going to be benefited is due to the costs that would be saved , if nestlé was to go into the market there would be market research involved , as there is different type of snacks the Chinese eat also by merging , risk would also be reduced as that business has a market share of ..., *on the other hand merging would mean that there would be a share of profits. Kind of Brief Lol, cant open the article on
My phone
Reply 135
Original post by PPF
i told you to search " nestle hsu fu chi" in google it will be the second link it opens in full that way

second link is from financial times and it says i have to register. i registered and it said i already viewed too many articles...
Reply 136
Original post by CallMeNab
second link is from financial times and it says i have to register. i registered and it said i already viewed too many articles...

no second link is WSJ. read under the heading it should say online.wsj
Reply 137
analyse two reasons for Nestle's decision to enter the chinese market ( 6 )

Lets do this one now
Reply 138
One reason for Nestle’s decision to enter into the Chinese market is to extend its product lifecycle. Western confectionary markets have become rather saturated due to high competition and increased awareness of health issues regarding consumption of too much sugar however in China the confectionary market it growing. Since 2005 it has grown by 63 % to $9.2 bn therefore this is a way for Nestle to increase sales growth and extend its product lifecycle which could yield greater profits.

Another reason could be to gain from a greater spread of risk. As Nestle expands over more countries it will spread risks over more markets and so gain greater stability for example if sales in the West are declining then these could be buffered by increasing sales in the Chinese market and so giving Nestle a more stable business portfolio which could attract greater shareholder investment.
Reply 139
Original post by CallMeNab

Got it yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending