The Student Room Group

Edexcel Psychology Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
were not supposed to do any practicals:\
Original post by oli_042
We don't need to know practicals from every approach for Issues & Debates do we?!

Nope, but what i do know is we need to know every key issue from
all past approaches including clinical
Reply 82
Original post by Glow Cream
Nope, but what i do know is we need to know every key issue from
all past approaches including clinical

Ah okay yeah I knew that, thanks! :smile:
Reply 83
I've just finished revising the entire A2 textbook and I was wondering if you need to revise the AS textbook as well? Coz I'm sure that would, without a doubt, make me shoot myself.
Reply 84
Original post by Hessonite
I've just finished revising the entire A2 textbook and I was wondering if you need to revise the AS textbook as well? Coz I'm sure that would, without a doubt, make me shoot myself.

Well you have to revise studies, theories, key issues, research methods, etc all from the AS approaches, so it wouldn't hurt going over the AS textbook to make sure you know the material :smile:
Reply 85
Do you use Christine Brain's textbook?

Coz in that textbook some of the stuff from AS (like strengths and weaknesses of research methods) are covered. What I'm wondering is if you need to know the AS stuff that isn't covered in the A2 textbook?

Unless that's what you meant. :tongue:

Insane load of work if thats the case. It took me nearly 3 weeks to finish revising A2 Psych exams are on the 11th!
Reply 86
Original post by Hessonite
Do you use Christine Brain's textbook?

Coz in that textbook some of the stuff from AS (like strengths and weaknesses of research methods) are covered. What I'm wondering is if you need to know the AS stuff that isn't covered in the A2 textbook?

Unless that's what you meant. :tongue:

Insane load of work if thats the case. It took me nearly 3 weeks to finish revising A2 Psych exams are on the 11th!

Yeah that's right :smile: Any theories and things which may not be in the A2 book just have a quick look over too. Yeah I agree it's a lot of work in all!
I'm struggling with key poinys for Goldstein. For example, what if there's a 6, or even 4 mark question on hat she did, how are you suppose to choose just 4 point - she had 3 aims!

I mean, would you talk about:
- The original sample (less than 6 months stay, between 72 and 73 who had sz and no other mental issues, or problems with drink / drugs etc.)
- Then, of the 199 Goldstein and another researcher did a single blind technique to rediagnose these patients with DSM 3, that had originally been diagnosed with DSM2
- Then 8 of them were randomly chose to check the reliablity of the rediagnosed patients and there was a 0.8 agreement rate.
- Of the 199, 90 were chose and details of their pre morbid functioning were taken - religion, class, marital status and employment
- The over the 10 years they kept check on how many times they were re hospitalised and their duration of stay

or what?

And then there's all the results to talk about as well.

Also, could someone please tell me about Reine and a biological link to criminality?
Reply 88
Original post by Neon-Soldier32
I'm struggling with key poinys for Goldstein. For example, what if there's a 6, or even 4 mark question on hat she did, how are you suppose to choose just 4 point - she had 3 aims!

I mean, would you talk about:
- The original sample (less than 6 months stay, between 72 and 73 who had sz and no other mental issues, or problems with drink / drugs etc.)
- Then, of the 199 Goldstein and another researcher did a single blind technique to rediagnose these patients with DSM 3, that had originally been diagnosed with DSM2
- Then 8 of them were randomly chose to check the reliablity of the rediagnosed patients and there was a 0.8 agreement rate.
- Of the 199, 90 were chose and details of their pre morbid functioning were taken - religion, class, marital status and employment
- The over the 10 years they kept check on how many times they were re hospitalised and their duration of stay

or what?

And then there's all the results to talk about as well.

Also, could someone please tell me about Reine and a biological link to criminality?

write all of the things..... you have know them all anyway so if there is a question about the study even for 6 marks just write everything you know
Reply 89
Does anybody know how to answer this issues and debates question , my teacher has never set questions on this so i dont know how you supposed to go about it.

Evaluate two contributions of the applications of psychology (6 marks )

But i don't know how to evaluate the contributions.
What could i do to evaluate a contribution ?
Reply 90
Original post by Sana210693
Does anybody know how to answer this issues and debates question , my teacher has never set questions on this so i dont know how you supposed to go about it.

Evaluate two contributions of the applications of psychology (6 marks )

But i don't know how to evaluate the contributions.
What could i do to evaluate a contribution ?

I think when you talk about the theories and studies you use you evaluate them, which gives A02 marks, and then you evaluate how easily it can be applied to be a contribution to society, for instance 'as dream analysis is a subjective method, it may be hard for it to gain credibility and funding, and thus will be more difficult to be a contribution to society.'
I think that's along the right lines?
Reply 91
Original post by oli_042
I think when you talk about the theories and studies you use you evaluate them, which gives A02 marks, and then you evaluate how easily it can be applied to be a contribution to society, for instance 'as dream analysis is a subjective method, it may be hard for it to gain credibility and funding, and thus will be more difficult to be a contribution to society.'
I think that's along the right lines?

Okay thanks , so if for example if i were talking about clinical approach in terms of how schizophrenic studies tend to use animal studies , we could then talk about the problems like anthropromorphism .
Reply 92
Original post by Sana210693
Okay thanks , so if for example if i were talking about clinical approach in terms of how schizophrenic studies tend to use animal studies , we could then talk about the problems like anthropromorphism .

Well I didn't use animal studies as a research method for schziophrenia, but yeah that sounds about right :smile:
Reply 93
this whole unit is just one big nightmare.

I got unit 3 on monday hope that goes well not looking forward to this. Just generally feeling depressed about life.
Original post by kingshan16

I got unit 3 on monday hope that goes well not looking forward to this. Just generally feeling depressed about life.

stay strong lad
Reply 95

Same, at least the revision for unit 3 helps for unit 4 :smile:

Resits <3
Reply 96

Hey just think it'll all be over soon and then we got Summer to look forward too :smile:
Good luck those with Unit 3 tomorrow!
Reply 97
Original post by oli_042
Well I didn't use animal studies as a research method for schziophrenia, but yeah that sounds about right :smile:

Oh okay thanks for your help :smile: !!
Reply 98
Applications of psychology: you can talk about the daycare issue or health depending on the applications u studied in unit 3.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my R800i
Reply 99
What do you guys link will come up ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending