Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Chelsea F.C. Thread III

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karma Charger)
    Great win, hopefully you guys will draw AOPEL (sp?) or Marseille...
    True, either of them would be a good draw.

Save us Barca for the semi final. We have a score to settle
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karma Charger)
    Great win, hopefully you guys will draw AOPEL (sp?) or Marseille...
    Not too sure about APOEL. I expect us to batter them like bayern did to basel. But they have a lot of fighting character, they could go all everton on us and we find ourselves in a penalty shootout with them.

Marseille know how to kill a game superbly...I watched the first 1-0 inter match and that was the worst 1-0 I've ever seen in my life.

(Original post by Isometrix)
    True, either of them would be a good draw.

Save us Barca for the semi final. We have a score to settle
    We faced liverpool and had a similar match to this as well with the 4-4. It'll be tough from here on, but we got drawn the second hardest team in the 2nd place spot, so we can produce the goods tbh when needed. I don't want barca yet though either, or madrid.
    Barca semi, madrid final maybe, that would make a great occasion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What a match! Great win and season defining, Top 4 here we go!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I think this was a great performance defensively, I would give luiz motm tbh. He made one or two mistakes, but in general he was very good.

Torres played well, just because he missed everyone said he's rubbish, but they didn't see him take on 3 players on the wing. But if suarez does that and doesn't score, everyone says he's a great player?
    I watched Torres's every move. I'm a Liverpool fan, he's the only reason I bother watching Chelsea play. To see how he's getting on.

His miss, you know why it was bad? Even though it was a difficult angle it was just the sort of goal he'd slot home at Liverpool. Like seriously, I think it's a carbon copy of almost half his goals. Get the ball just outside the box from a wonderful through ball courtesy of Gerrard, fantastic first touch, beat his defender and slot it home. That's his job. Number 9. That miss was the only thing he did worth mentioning. Don't think i'm just being a bitter Liverpool fan, I want Torres to be the best that he can be. I really miss hearing commentators scream TORREESS. Enough time has passed so I don't care that it's not for Liverpool. Untill he starts scoring regularly, he'll never be praised properly. Every game will be a bad game. The same goes for Andy Carroll. Every Liverpool fan goes on about about how he's imrpoved, yes by his poor standards he has but he's still not scoring regularly, therefore he's not what he needs to be.

David Luis was definitely MOTM for me.He hung on in there and clearly did not want to concede a cheap goal late on. Other players made sure to track back. It's kind of weird though. I don't know why people were touting Chelsea as underdogs in this tie in the first place, I feel like Napoli always were the underdogs (bar a couple of star players) and did well to give Chelsea such a tough time of it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Subbed
    • 35 followers

Well done last night, massive result for you guys. :top2:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bring on United in the youth cup tomorrow!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    What a result, didn't expect you guys to score that many tbh but great result.

Torres looked a lot better last night but I guess towards the end, he was fresh and Chelsea were playing on the counter to an extent.

So much will depend on the draw on Friday imo. I'd fancy Barca, Madrid, Milan and Bayern to beat you tbh..

Also towards the end of the game, did anyone see Terry start barking orders from the bench and then a second later, DM giving instructions? Made me think DM was Terry's puppet
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    14 April - Newcastle (H)
    17/18 April - CL QF 1st leg
    21 April - Arsenal (A)
    24/25 April - CL QF 2nd leg
    29 April - QPR (H)

I think CL is going to hinder your chances of getting 4th this season.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeshard)
    I watched Torres's every move. I'm a Liverpool fan, he's the only reason I bother watching Chelsea play. To see how he's getting on.

His miss, you know why it was bad? Even though it was a difficult angle it was just the sort of goal he'd slot home at Liverpool. Like seriously, I think it's a carbon copy of almost half his goals. Get the ball just outside the box from a wonderful through ball courtesy of Gerrard, fantastic first touch, beat his defender and slot it home. That's his job. Number 9. That miss was the only thing he did worth mentioning. Don't think i'm just being a bitter Liverpool fan, I want Torres to be the best that he can be. I really miss hearing commentators scream TORREESS. Enough time has passed so I don't care that it's not for Liverpool. Untill he starts scoring regularly, he'll never be praised properly. Every game will be a bad game. The same goes for Andy Carroll. Every Liverpool fan goes on about about how he's imrpoved, yes by his poor standards he has but he's still not scoring regularly, therefore he's not what he needs to be.

David Luis was definitely MOTM for me.He hung on in there and clearly did not want to concede a cheap goal late on. Other players made sure to track back. It's kind of weird though. I don't know why people were touting Chelsea as underdogs in this tie in the first place, I feel like Napoli always were the underdogs (bar a couple of star players) and did well to give Chelsea such a tough time of it.
    I get that. But what I'm trying to say is, suarez does the same thing and hasn't been a prolific goalscorer this season either, that chance vs everton that he tried to use his outside foot but he could have just slotted it home.

We were always going to win in the second leg but we didn't look like we'll win the whole tie, but a 3-1 deficit looks pretty big, had it been away like the barca vs leverkusen match, then it would have been much harder. Media backlash vs chelsea, new manager, etc. I said that barca did this to us in 1999 when we beat them 3-1 in the first leg and we were underdogs, they took it to extra time and beat us 5-1. People just hated on chelsea. I heard people say that chelsea would get battered at home by napoli, despite us not conceding a single goal at home in the CL until this leg. :confused:
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    14 April - Newcastle (H)
    17/18 April - CL QF 1st leg
    21 April - Arsenal (A)
    24/25 April - CL QF 2nd leg
    29 April - QPR (H)

I think CL is going to hinder your chances of getting 4th this season.
    Looks like there's only one way to get back into the CL then...we can do this liverpool style.

Ok, in all seriousness, we would beat newcastle, arsenal away with van persie would be tough and I hope we snatch a draw from it although we need a win there, arsenal and tottenham are probably the most vital wins in the top 4 race. Teams have a van persie fear factor now and I hope we don't have one.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looks like there's only one way to get back into the CL then...we can do this liverpool style.

Ok, in all seriousness, we would beat newcastle, arsenal away with van persie would be tough and I hope we snatch a draw from it although we need a win there, arsenal and tottenham are probably the most vital wins in the top 4 race. Teams have a van persie fear factor now and I hope we don't have one.
    Favourites to beat Newcastle, yes but the club will have one eye on the first leg of the CL so a few players may be rested.

Arsenal are in a good run of form + RVP as you say and they'll have the benefit of playing once a week by that point. They should be fresher.

QPR is a derby game isn't it? QPR are falling away fast and relegation teams at this point in the season always put up a fight. 5th game in 15 days is always going to be tough and I think they could nick a point if the 2nd CL leg exhausts the team.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Favourites to beat Newcastle, yes but the club will have one eye on the first leg of the CL so a few players may be rested.

Arsenal are in a good run of form + RVP as you say and they'll have the benefit of playing once a week by that point. They should be fresher.

QPR is a derby game isn't it? QPR are falling away fast and relegation teams at this point in the season always put up a fight. 5th game in 15 days is always going to be tough and I think they could nick a point if the 2nd CL leg exhausts the team.
    We have enough squad depth to make up for the QPR match, Essien can be replaced by romeu, we actually have a fully fit defence now which was shuffled yesterday and worked well, it's just the wings and the striker really that can't be replaced, though, malouda played better than mata did yesterday(shock horror) and torres and ramires did a good job as wide midfielders/wingers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get that. But what I'm trying to say is, suarez does the same thing and hasn't been a prolific goalscorer this season either, that chance vs everton that he tried to use his outside foot but he could have just slotted it home.

We were always going to win in the second leg but we didn't look like we'll win the whole tie, but a 3-1 deficit looks pretty big, had it been away like the barca vs leverkusen match, then it would have been much harder. Media backlash vs chelsea, new manager, etc. I said that barca did this to us in 1999 when we beat them 3-1 in the first leg and we were underdogs, they took it to extra time and beat us 5-1. People just hated on chelsea. I heard people say that chelsea would get battered at home by napoli, despite us not conceding a single goal at home in the CL until this leg. :confused:
    If Torres contributed to the team even half of what Suarez does, no man would be critisizing Torres. It's not Suarez's fault that he's asked to do an impossible job, create everything and finish everything.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not Suarez's fault that he's asked to do an impossible job, create everything and finish everything.
    Shame he fails at both creating and finishing then isnt it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    One of the stupidest things i've read in a while.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    If Torres contributed to the team even half of what Suarez does, no man would be critisizing Torres. It's not Suarez's fault that he's asked to do an impossible job, create everything and finish everything.
    Steven gerrard is there and can do both, enough said.
    Torres has assisted a lot of mata's goals, the 3-3 against united for example, no one says it was a wonderful cross, they say why didn't he score.

I agree with the united guy tbh.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of the stupidest things i've read in a while.
    His stats would disagree
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    His stats would disagree
    If it counts for torres it counts for suarez in my opinion, I don't see how they're different.
Updated: March 22, 2013
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.