The Student Room Group

"Never mind them dead people - let's nick summat"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by whyumadtho
But it gives them the money they desperately need to rectify whatever financial problem they have. I don't see how having a stockpile of goods instead of tangible cash is beneficial when tangible cash is what is needed. Out of their own volition, people go to these places to convert their goods into money; they're quicker and more convenient than eBay or holding a car boot sale, for example.

And that financial problem is USUALLY needing more money quickly for drugs or alcohol.
Original post by Bonged.
And that financial problem is USUALLY needing more money quickly for drugs or alcohol.
But how is this the problem of the pawn broker? What about the financially desperate people who need money to buy their daughter some new school shoes?

In both cases, in the customer's perspective, they are being helpful. How they use the money is not of the pawn broker's concern or responsibility.
Reply 22
But it gives them the money they desperately need to rectify whatever financial problem they have. I don't see how having a stockpile of goods instead of tangible cash is beneficial when tangible cash is what is needed. Out of their own volition, people go to these places to convert their goods into money; they're quicker and more convenient than eBay or holding a car boot sale, for example.

yeah... It analyses down to being a loan against an asset like many other forms of finance... But at the high street loans end of the market it's shaded into very iffy territory. There's not a distinct line that's been crossed anywhere.
If i was in government I'd be trying to encourage other forms of finance for poor people... Like credit unions.
Reply 23
But how is this the problem of the pawn broker? What about the financially desperate people who need money to buy their daughter some new school shoes?

In both cases, in the customer's perspective, they are being helpful. How they use the money is not of the pawn broker's concern or responsibility.

It isn't necessarily, it entirely depends on the morality of the pawn broker and his sense of responsibility - he is free to possess neither.

No. Giving a drug addict money isn't helpful.
Can't say I'm surprised.
Original post by Bonged.
It isn't necessarily, it entirely depends on the morality of the pawn broker and his sense of responsibility - he is free to possess neither.

The customers' circumstances remains the same: both possess no money and both need money. Is it really beneficial for a pawn broker to deny a drug addict's service? The addict will resort to stealing and sell the goods elsewhere; the pawn broker provides legitimacy and traceability of any goods that may have been acquired via illegitimate means.

It is helpful in the customer's perspective. How would one go about ensuring the money is spent appropriately anyway? Is the pawn broker expected to conduct a full, invasive assessment of the customer's life and financial history to ensure it won't be mismanaged? If the person spends the money on a new dishwasher instead of their child's stationery and clothing, is it mismanagement? This problem of illegitimate use applies to any form of asset conversion, including bank loans, estate agents, second-hand car buyers, etc.

Is eBay exploitative?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Student00009
Do you honestly care about the well being of complete strangers?

If nobody cared about 'complete strangers' then there would be very few people giving blood and very few people donating to charity. :mad:
Reply 27
The customers' circumstances remains the same: both possess no money and both need money. Is it really beneficial for a pawn broker to deny a drug addict's service? The addict will resort to stealing and sell the goods elsewhere; the pawn broker provides legitimacy and traceability of any goods that may have been acquired via illegitimate means.

It is helpful in the customer's perspective. How would one go about ensuring the money is spent appropriately anyway? Is the pawn broker expected to conduct a full, invasive assessment of the customer's life and financial history to ensure it won't be mismanaged? If the person spends the money on a new dishwasher instead of their child's stationery and clothing, is it mismanagement? This problem of illegitimate use applies to any form of asset conversion, including bank loans, estate agents, second-hand car buyers, etc.

Is eBay exploitative?

What alot of waffle. Pragmatism - look it up.
Original post by Bonged.
What alot of waffle. Pragmatism - look it up.

Construct a proper counterargument.
Reply 29
Construct a proper counterargument.

Ok. Be more pragmatic. Look at things realistically rather than taking everything out of it's original context to change direction of the debate. Pm me if you can't find anyone else to annoy I don't want to clog another thread butting heads.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by about_my_bow
Ha i live in Coventry and saw the aftermath of the crash. It is disgusting behavior by these people but i can't say, having lived here, that i'm all together surprised. Just like most cities Cov has it's rougher areas with rougher people. I have friends here who have had fireworks thrown at them, been mugged or girls who have been chased by groups of men in cars. That being said Cov does have it's nicer areas and this is in no way typical behavior of people from here!

Well, I was kind of assuming that these people were more likely to be chavs from Hillfields than someone from Cheylesmore. But you never know.

Original post by Bonged.

Blaming pawnbrokers for their customers' actions is like suggesting that doctors should refuse to perform operations on people with criminal records because then they'll just go back to knocking over old ladies for their pensions. Alternatively, if it's the profit angle you're worried about, B&Q have made a profit out of selling knives to adults, some of which have almost certainly been used to injure or kill. That's not the fault of (or a decision for) B&Q, the doctor or the pawnbroker.

Besides, if you've ever used anywhere like Cash Generators or CeX, that makes you just as much a potential drug user as your average pawnbroker customer. They are, in effect, pawnbrokers, they just don't have the backbone to say so.
Reply 31
Original post by Bonged.

Yes, because it gives them money to buy the drugs they need.
Original post by Bonged.
Ok. Be more pragmatic. Look at things realistically rather than taking everything out of it's original context to change direction of the debate. Pm me if you can't find anyone else to annoy I don't want to clog another thread butting heads.
What? That's what I am doing. What do you think would happen in the absence of pawn brokers, Bonged.?
Reply 33
Original post by kingsholmmad
Well, I was kind of assuming that these people were more likely to be chavs from Hillfields than someone from Cheylesmore. But you never know.

Blaming pawnbrokers for their customers' actions is like suggesting that doctors should refuse to perform operations on people with criminal records because then they'll just go back to knocking over old ladies for their pensions. Alternatively, if it's the profit angle you're worried about, B&Q have made a profit out of selling knives to adults, some of which have almost certainly been used to injure or kill. That's not the fault of (or a decision for) B&Q, the doctor or the pawnbroker.

Besides, if you've ever used anywhere like Cash Generators or CeX, that makes you just as much a potential drug user as your average pawnbroker customer. They are, in effect, pawnbrokers, they just don't have the backbone to say so.

I was just expressing my dislike for the pawnbroking business and my lack of sympathy for the pawnbroker in question. Obviously I'm not condoning anything.
Reply 34
What? That's what I am doing. What do you think would happen in the absence of pawn brokers, Bonged.?

Society would collapse presumably.
Original post by Bonged.
Society would collapse presumably.

Is there a reason you are unwilling to answer the question sensibly?
Reply 36
The chavvy *******s are so dense they'll probably try to sell the stolen jewellery back to the shop they nicked it from!.
Reply 37
Is there a reason you are unwilling to answer the question sensibly?

There isn't one answer. Alot of things would happen, some good, some bad.

I just think that pawnbrokers and other people that make money off the backs of other's suffering are immoral. I didn't say we should "ban" them.

I did say if you wanted circular headbutting to pm me rather than clog up another thread.
Reply 38
Original post by kingsholmmad
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-17352008

OK, so nobody died or was seriously injured but some of the passengers did get taken to hospital because of their injuries. The idea that these repugnant chavs can just ignore other people's distress and think only about stealing anything they can find utterly appals me.

Was I just born too soon? Is this what passes for acceptable behaviour in Britain nowadays? Or is it just Coventry where it's normal?

Tis why the working classes shouldnt have any political voice.
Reply 39
Original post by villageboy
Tis why the working classes shouldnt have any political voice.

Tis why the working classes should all spend 25 hours a day up at t' mill or down t' pit.

Original post by Bonged.
I was just expressing my dislike for the pawnbroking business and my lack of sympathy for the pawnbroker in question. Obviously I'm not condoning anything.

Fair enough. Can't pretend that I particularly like pawnbrokers per se but I'm just saying that, as a profession, it is legal and established.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending