The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Getting upset with the lack of English-speaking people in England.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TurboCretin
Not really what he was saying at all.

Hmmm I know I probably should edit it to "country" not "blood" :rolleyes:

If I'm honest I never bothered to read past much of the OP's post :colondollar:...just because of how tedious this issue has got and how over-discussed it is and the outcome usually ends up with one extreme or the other.
Reply 81
I think English people should at least learn their own language before demanding foreigners to be fluent in English.
Original post by Anonymous

It's just really making me upset. I hate the people on here who complain about how **** England is, and have their flags as India or Ghana, but they would never actually live there. If you're English, you're English. If you hate this country, you can piss off.

Couldn't agree with you more on this point, and I'm sure pretty much every British born citizen would agree with that, it's insulting and damn right disrespectful!

And I'm sure if the roles were reversed and we were residents in a different country with the British flag slagging off their country, they would come down on you like a ton of bricks.

That being said I don't mind if they speak their language in their home but some effort must be made, for example my Latvian friend has to do all the phone calls to banks, doctors / any other sort of communication for his mum, as she cannot be bothered to even learn the language, yet she has been given a house here. It baffles me, it really does.
Original post by Riderz
You need more worries in your life. A child dies every 5 seconds from malnutrition. 10 people a day die on our roads. Every year 8,000 square miles - about the size of Wales - of rainforest is lost from the Amazon. Most rainforests around the world have lost over 90% of their pre-human size. We are going through the greatest period of mass extinction in the worlds history - bigger than when the dinosaurs became extinct - all thanks to human activity. And you can honestly say you're miserable about someone putting another crate of beer into their trolley at Tescos? Grow up mate...

Older people dont glorify it, but talk to any older person about how much they used to drink and then drive home on. Yes, they've gone past the time they can stay out til 2am in a nightclub, but dont think they didnt do it in their youth.

You're such an idiot seriously. You cannot imply alcohol abuse isn't a problem because there are other problems happening elsewhere. If that were everybody's attitude we'd never fix anything or get anything done. It doesn't make it any less of a problem. You have ignored every other relevant point I made in that post and told me to grow up :rolleyes:. I've seen someone I know die from liver failure after battling alcoholism, how many times do you think she was told to "man up" or egged on to drink as a teenager? You have to nip it in the bud when you're young and change people's attitudes to it before it becomes a habit, that crate at Tesco's escalates into more because society tells them crap like "you only live once" and people try to justify it, people forget that alcohol is a hard drug. Alcohol ruins lives, families and communities and it's able to do it so easily because of people's attitudes and the illusion that it's a harmless drug when in fact it is a hard drug like heroin, cocaine and crystal meth are. If it were invented today it'd be a class A drug.

Oh and the old people point, people do all sorts of things when they're young, mainly because they're stupid and haven't learned a lot yet, it doesn't make it right or acceptable.
Reply 84
Older people did drink more; during our parent's generation the standard youth probably did more drugs too; at the turn of the century young working class boys would get drunk a the local pub after work; smoking was, at one point, considered healthy; the working class children might get a swig of brandy to clear a throat or soothe a headache; the rich children may have been given opiates.

None of these things are uniquely British vices, many countries had them and some developing countries still do. And as you can see from the comparison, things aren't always getting worse as the Daily Mail might like to portray - it doesn't mean we still don't need to continue to better ourselves.

Saying "you have other things to worry about" is about as useful as saying "do and say nothing" because if every person was to focus on every issue we'd all be so scatter-brained and lack the indepth knowledge to discuss anything that we would just collapse. You focus on the rainforests you want and let X focus on smoking and Y on drinking etc. Not everybody cares about road safety, but some do, not everybody cares about animal cruelty, but some do. Let those who care, care and don't force those who don't into it otherwise you breed resentment/bring idiots into a complex debate.

If you care about the rainforest would you want to debate with somebody who keeps repeating childish basic arguments at you while you become infuriated by their lack of understanding? That's the consequence if we don't let people select which causes to believe in.

P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Fraga
Hmmm I know I probably should edit it to "country" not "blood" :rolleyes:

If I'm honest I never bothered to read past much of the OP's post :colondollar:...just because of how tedious this issue has got and how over-discussed it is and the outcome usually ends up with one extreme or the other.

A matter which is sure to be helped by jumping to conclusions about what people are saying - what you said was straw-manning. He's saying if foreigners (one of whom is his girlfriend - note: evidence against his being prejudiced) come to live in England, they should be able to speak English. Not "don't come here if you're foreign".
Original post by chronic_fatigue
Hmm I kind know how you feel, I call myself British but I sometimes feel people don't see me as British irl and TSR because of my skin colour, so I am having a bit of an identity crisis! You made a good point about the drinking culture, it is a problem that many seem to be sweeping under the carpet. Some students are more concerned about getting alcohol than feeding themselves properly and I find this pretty sad. I don't think there is anything wrong with drinking in moderation but it is too much, there is so much pressure to conform and if you don't people think you are boring :s-smilie:.

I agree with all of this.

There are a lot of secretly racist people on this forum, which has shocked me because I thought a student forum would have intelligent people on it.

The way the OP spoke to me as an immigrant on the 1st page is disgusting. I was born here.
Original post by Jcoe88
Older people did drink more; during our parent's generation the standard youth probably did more drugs too; at the turn of the century young working class boys would get drunk a the local pub after work; smoking was, at one point, considered healthy; the working class children might get a swig of brandy to clear a throat or soothe a headache; the rich children may have been given opiates.

None of these things are uniquely British vices, many countries had them and some developing countries still do. And as you can see from the comparison, things aren't always getting worse as the Daily Mail might like to portray - it doesn't mean we still don't need to continue to better ourselves.

Saying "you have other things to worry about" is about as useful as saying "do and say nothing" because if every person was to focus on every issue we'd all be so scatter-brained and lack the indepth knowledge to discuss anything that we would just collapse. You focus on the rainforests you want and let X focus on smoking and Y on drinking etc. Not everybody cares about road safety, but some do, not everybody cares about animal cruelty, but some do. Let those who care, care and don't force those who don't into it otherwise you breed resentment/bring idiots into a complex debate.

If you care about the rainforest would you want to debate with somebody who keeps repeating childish basic arguments at you while you become infuriated by their lack of understanding? That's the consequence if we don't let people select which causes to believe in.

P

I was going to mention this actually, it's pretty much the point I was going to make. Just because something was done or seen as safe in the past, doesn't mean it is. As we now know with smoking.
Reply 88
Original post by Wilfred Little
You're such an idiot seriously. You cannot imply alcohol abuse isn't a problem because there are other problems happening elsewhere. If that were everybody's attitude we'd never fix anything or get anything done. It doesn't make it any less of a problem. You have ignored every other relevant point I made in that post and told me to grow up :rolleyes:. I've seen someone I know die from liver failure after battling alcoholism, how many times do you think she was told to "man up" or egged on to drink as a teenager? You have to nip it in the bud when you're young and change people's attitudes to it before it becomes a habit, that crate at Tesco's escalates into more because society tells them crap like "you only live once" and people try to justify it, people forget that alcohol is a hard drug. Alcohol ruins lives, families and communities and it's able to do it so easily because of people's attitudes and the illusion that it's a harmless drug when in fact it is a hard drug like heroin, cocaine and crystal meth are. If it were invented today it'd be a class A drug.

Oh and the old people point, people do all sorts of things when they're young, mainly because they're stupid and haven't learned a lot yet, it doesn't make it right or acceptable.

Great... Ive seen a couple of people very close to me die of lung cancer from smoking, but I still respect smokers right to chose. Educate them, fine, but do not lecture. Everyone has the information available to them, and if they chose to buy another packet of cigs then who am I to tell them its wrong?

Yes, its a problem, but there are plenty of other problems to get excited about. If people took my attitude then the world would be a better place, the important issues would get sorted first and then smaller issues last. As it is, people are worrying about things which in the grand scheme of things dont really matter. They are personal tradgeties, more often than not bought on by an individuals own actions. They knew the risks when they did it - there was help available throughout their lives had they wanted it. At the end of the day, they made a choice which resulted in their condition.

As for the bit in bold. ITS PART OF ****ING GROWING UP. Relax, live and let live. Youth is for making mistakes, for learning, but doing all the stupid things that you will look back on in 20 years and ask how the hell am I still here. Its being young, taking risks, pushing the boundaries which makes us feel most alive. Whats the point of living if not to feel alive?? Boring people like you must have boring lives. I get the feeling your so worried about things that you've let your youth slip by without ever really living it...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Riderz
Great... Ive seen a couple of people very close to me die of lung cancer from smoking, but I still respect smokers right to chose. Educate them, fine, but do not lecture. Everyone has the information available to them, and if they chose to buy another packet of cigs then who am I to tell them its wrong?

Yes, its a problem, but there are plenty of other problems to get excited about. If people took my attitude then the world would be a better place, the important issues would get sorted first and then smaller issues last. As it is, people are worrying about things which in the grand scheme of things dont really matter. They are personal tradgeties, more often than not bought on by an individuals own actions. They knew the risks when they did it - there was help available throughout their lives had they wanted it. At the end of the day, they made a choice which resulted in their condition.

As for the bit in bold. ITS PART OF ****ING GROWING UP. Relax, live and let live. Youth is for making mistakes, for learning, but doing all the stupid things that you will look back on in 20 years and ask how the hell am I still here. Its being young, taking risks, pushing the boundaries which makes us feel most alive. Whats the point of living if not to feel alive?? Boring people like you must have boring lives. I get the feeling your so worried about things that you've let your youth slip by without ever really living it...

Another example of a presumably English person who cannot write English properly. You couldn't make it up.

Oh and assumptions are dangerous, you have no idea what I was like when I was younger.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
It doesn't feel like England is actually English any more. At least not in certain cities. I'm surrounded by so many people who don't speak English, it feels like I'm a tourist in my own country. It makes me feel awkward and uneasy. I don't know what they are saying, nor why so many Europeans insist on shouting at each other, whilst the Asians shout at people on their phones. So many people come here and don't make the effort to integrate at all with our society, so subsequently it's getting washed out. England does have a culture, and people who come here should embrace it, not smother it with their cultures from other countries. It's not un-PC to reserve Englishness!

I hate going into a shop and not being understood. I'm English! If you have a job where you are working in England and speaking to English people then you should know English! Why can people like that get jobs when so many of our own can't get them - and no it's not laziness.

It's just really making me upset. I hate the people on here who complain about how **** England is, and have their flags as India or Ghana, but they would never actually live there. If you're English, you're English. If you hate this country, you can piss off.

Unfortunately anonymous because this is spurred on by my girlfriend and her family who keep insisting that I should learn their language. No, you're in England, you learn English!

Just because you seen them for that time being when their speaking other than English doesn't mean they don't know how to speak English or that they haven't integrated.

Also just because they can't understand you in the shops doesn't mean they aren't trying.

Your also make assumptions based on people that use the flag of their origins, nothing wrong with that, the community in Britain is diverse, they want to show that we aren't all the same. This is why Britain is seen as so unique, because everything have their background origins and Britain.....there's unity.
Reply 91
Original post by Riderz
I single out minorities because they have a TERRIBLE drinking habit.

"The Steering Committee for the Review of Government Service Provision estimated that alcohol-related death rates were between five and 19 times higher for Indigenous Australians than for non-Indigenous Australians in Qld, SA, WA and the NT" http://www.healthinfonet.ecu.edu.au/health-risks/alcohol/reviews/our-review

"60 percent of Aboriginal Australian drinkers experience some alcohol-related harm." http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/health/aboriginal-alcohol-consumption.html

Anyway, whatever. Ive been to these places, seen the effects, and IMO there is very little difference between the general drinking habits of UK citizens and foreign citizens. Some places are worse, some places are better. Could we improve? Undoubldy. Do we have have to let people make a choice about their own health? Yes. Are there more pressing issues than pushing up the price of beer in my local pub? Most definitely.

No doubt that SOME minority groups do....especially due to a radical change in culture brought by overseas influences. However, many don't

What are the drinking habits of Afro Americans may I ask?
Original post by mabrookes
You should read the whole thread before commenting, and no one has a problem knowing multiple languages but only talking in a foreign language is plain rude and there is a massive problem of people who speak NO english here - all of which you gloss over.

Really? This might as well be along the lines as godwins law, an absolutely pathetic argument with no intellectual value in the slightest and rather repulsive if you actually think it should be taken into account.

Curries were invented in Britain by someone whos family came from India but considered himself completely British and invented a new food to display this. At least do some research before ranting inanely.

Amazing parenting, thats exactly how it should work :rolleyes:

No one would resent occasionally talking in person or on the phone in any language, especially if the person on the other end of the phone was in another country. But the fact you think this is an equivalent to the problems we are actually facing at the moment is laughable.

Your contribution is about as helpful as a ranting BNP racist, the ranting BNP racist would at least probably believe they were doing the right thing rather than this blatantly petty and unhelpful attack.

Well, I admit i don't live in Britain so I have no idea of the scale of your problem. I guess i find it rude when someone who can speak English talks loudly and in a distracting manner in another language on the phone. However, for the OP to pick out Indians and Ghanians was, i believe, misguided. Most Indians actually do speakl English and talk English on the phones. Obviously when talking to relatives, overseas friends or grandparents they may chat in their own language..but if it is nothing rude or disturbing i don't see the harm in it. They would, i'm sure, still love their adopted land and consider themselves British. How come people are silent when Scottish or Irish people are proud of their heritage and not being labelled British or when they express hostility to the British?

I was just providing a story to compare. It's not meant to be taken seriously. I just find that immigrants are blamed for everything on tsr when many actually try hard to fit in. I'm sure there are bigger problems then a few people not being able to speak English. If people can't speak English then they are just restricting their work opportunities and isolating themselves. However, if the person arrived as a grandparent or a retired person in the UK speaking broken english i don't think they deserve to be treated rudely.

Anyway it's your opinion i'm not going to be having a benny over it.

I'm sure the curries may have been modified when they came here. But the original recipes, the spices and how they should be used etc all came from Asia. I'm sure even the person who invented the curries got inspiration from overseas. Besides, i highly doubt the whole world of curries started out in the UK. A particular british brand maybe.

I was just giving the OP and his gf advice. If they resent the gf's culture so much then maybe it is best to live a British lifestyle and cut cultural links rather than tarnishing whole categories from a particular background, especially since they have contributed so much when it comes to art, business and in the sporting field.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I agree with all of this.

There are a lot of secretly racist people on this forum, which has shocked me because I thought a student forum would have intelligent people on it.

The way the OP spoke to me as an immigrant on the 1st page is disgusting. I was born here.

I thought it was disgrceful as well. But don't be disheartened mate. Those who are closet racists and like to post about it are probably just a fraction of the community who read tsr and a smaller fraction of the student population.
I find a lot of people here are on teh cusp of school and university and as such are quite young. I'm sure in a couple of years time they will have broadened their minds by then.
Original post by TurboCretin
A matter which is sure to be helped by jumping to conclusions about what people are saying - what you said was straw-manning. He's saying if foreigners (one of whom is his girlfriend - note: evidence against his being prejudiced) come to live in England, they should be able to speak English. Not "don't come here if you're foreign".

How is his gf a foreigner when she was born and brought up in England and she wants to disown her culture and background. It's quite sad that such people become identity-less neither accepted by people of the same background as them and neither by people of the land they call home.
Irish and Scottish people don't disown their backgound. The Irish celebrate sT Patricks day with great celebration as they should, whether in UK or US. Then what is wrong with non-whites celebrating their culture. Don't discriminate against us because our skin is a brown-orangey colour.
Original post by brownchocolateice
I thought it was disgrceful as well. But don't be disheartened mate. Those who are closet racists and like to post about it are probably just a fraction of the community who read tsr and a smaller fraction of the student population.
I find a lot of people here are on teh cusp of school and university and as such are quite young. I'm sure in a couple of years time they will have broadened their minds by then.

Agreed, I'm not ignorant enough to label everyone like that, but it did surprise me, I hear this sort of stuff amongst poorly educated people. Also it just proves to me people who moan about this sort of stuff have underlying reasons and there are xenophobic and/or racist undertones to their argument, as was proven on the 1st page.
Reply 96
Original post by rockrunride
You've got interracial law,
The Muslamic infidel
They're trying to get their law
Over our country

And it's happening it is happening
It's happening in other countries
It's happening in every countries like
Like you've got you've got

You've got Muslamic ray guns
Ray guns ray guns!

Tuneage :awesome:

Don't forget the Iraqi law in London!
Original post by brownchocolateice
How is his gf a foreigner when she was born and brought up in England and she wants to disown her culture and background. It's quite sad that such people become identity-less neither accepted by people of the same background as them and neither by people of the land they call home.
Irish and Scottish people don't disown their backgound. The Irish celebrate sT Patricks day with great celebration as they should, whether in UK or US. Then what is wrong with non-whites celebrating their culture. Don't discriminate against us because our skin is a brown-orangey colour.

I did not read that from the first couple of pages. If the OP said that, fair enough, but I was unaware that that was the case. If you could point me to where he said that I'd be grateful.

Anyway, this isn't a question of culture in general, it's a question of language. Y'know, being able to communicate with the natives. And don't you dare try to make this about race.
Reply 98
It doesn't feel like England is actually English any more. At least not in certain cities. I'm surrounded by so many people who don't speak English, it feels like I'm a tourist in my own country. It makes me feel awkward and uneasy. I don't know what they are saying, nor why so many Europeans insist on shouting at each other, whilst the Asians shout at people on their phones. So many people come here and don't make the effort to integrate at all with our society, so subsequently it's getting washed out. England does have a culture, and people who come here should embrace it, not smother it with their cultures from other countries. It's not un-PC to reserve Englishness!

I hate going into a shop and not being understood. I'm English! If you have a job where you are working in England and speaking to English people then you should know English! Why can people like that get jobs when so many of our own can't get them - and no it's not laziness.

Unfortunately anonymous because this is spurred on by my girlfriend and her family who keep insisting that I should learn their language. No, you're in England, you learn English!

Nie mam pojecia o czym mowisz kolego.
Reply 99
Original post by DavidTheYoung
England doesn't exist. England is a piece of rock in the North sea. It's a very nice rock to be fair, I like the rock, but it is just a rock. Share the rock, let other people onto the rock and then maybe we'll get over this whole "He's a different colour, he worships a different make believe friend from me, he speaks a different language to me".

I hope when you go on holiday you get angry at people who wear England football shirts and speak in English to the locals. But somehow I doubt it.

That's what I was going to say, but not as well put
At the end of the what is england, and the only english culture I've seen is deciding between fish and chips or curry

Latest

Trending

Trending