The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Getting upset with the lack of English-speaking people in England.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilfred Little
The KKK lynched, murdered, killed and opressed black people.

The two are not comparable.

And the black panthers havent done similar things to white people? granted not on the same scale but you cant justify black power as a provocation for white power.

just shows how warped your moral compass is.
Original post by Dragonfly07
It's a ghetto. No one around there is British. They have no British little to no influence to learn "britishness" from.

Haha, that doesn't mean they're "effectively not in Britain". It's like saying "nobody in Area X is English, therefore they're not in England!" Not sure it works that way.
Reply 142
Original post by AverageExcellence
So you dont have any problem with the KKK displaying white power?

I think you are confused, the Black Power movement was initiated in order give fellow African-Americans the same writes as their White American counterparts after the oppressive years prior, It's main focus was on equality between races. KKK focuses on a entirely different notion, they were plain racists who were against the the abolition of slavery and terrorised many African-Americans, including murder,rape etc. I suggest you do some research before typing up nonsense.
Original post by Zelex
I think you are confused, the Black Power movement was initiated in order give fellow African-Americans the same writes as their White American counterparts after the oppressive years prior, It's main focus was on equality between races. KKK focuses on a entirely different notion, they were plain racists who were against the the abolition of slavery and terrorised many African-Americans, including murder,rape etc. I suggest you do some research before typing up nonsense.

The black power movement and the civil rights movement were not all the same thing. A large part of the black power movement was fairly anti white and conflicted with the equal rights the civil rights movement wanted. Not all, but that doesn't mean there were not pretty extreme racists as part of the various sections of the movement that were not a part of civil rights movement.
Reply 144
Original post by AverageExcellence
And the black panthers havent done similar things to white people? granted not on the same scale but you cant justify black power as a provocation for white power.

just shows how warped your moral compass is.

Who said that if you were a supporter of the Black Power movement, you also supported the Black Panthers. If you did your research, there were many people who opposed the Black Panthers. This is like saying that If I was a Muslim, I am also a supporter of Al qaeda.

You clearly lack the knowledge on this issue.
It's hardly a phenomenon. But yes I do agree that it makes no sense to me when certain people whom have lived here all their life do not speak English, as for the individuals who are new to this country it's understandable.
Reply 146
Original post by mabrookes
The black power movement and the civil rights movement were not all the same thing. A large part of the black power movement was fairly anti white and conflicted with the equal rights the civil rights movement wanted. Not all, but that doesn't mean there were not pretty extreme racists as part of the various sections of the movement that were not a part of civil rights movement.

I know, just cleared that up in another post.

However what I am trying to explain is that, it is incomparable to compare the KKK to the Black Power movement, what civil movements did the KKK propose?

The user Wilfred Little has also stated the reason, why he has the "Black Power" symbol as his avatar, How is this racist?
I think if you're going to live in England, you should actually make the effort to learn English but you should be able to celebrate your own culture in tolerable way, such as: food and dance and music :h:
Original post by Zelex
Who said that if you were a supporter of the Black Power movement, you also supported the Black Panthers. If you did your research, there were many people who opposed the Black Panthers. This is like saying that If I was a Muslim, I am also a supporter of Al qaeda.

You clearly lack the knowledge on this issue.

I clearly stated not all so you entire comment is pointless.

The black power movement for far more extreme than not though. There are people who genuinly are not racist but support the bnb - does this mean the bnb is not racist?
The black power movement was not that bad throughout, but why support this movement in the light of one campaigning for nothing but equality and peace? It is a fairly suspect choice to make when it comes down to it.
Reply 149
Original post by mabrookes
I clearly stated not all so you entire comment is pointless.

The black power movement for far more extreme than not though. There are people who genuinly are not racist but support the bnb - does this mean the bnb is not racist?
The black power movement was not that bad throughout, but why support this movement in the light of one campaigning for nothing but equality and peace? It is a fairly suspect choice to make when it comes down to it.

I don't think you understand the significance of "Black Power" movement during that period and how impacted and changed many African Americans lives for the better today. Why is it suspect for someone to support the positive things that the movement did for African-Americans.

I don't even know why we are drifting away from, my main point, which was the comparison with the KKK or do you also think they are comparable?
A mix of different cultures is a nice culture in itself. A lot of foreign students I know love this aspect of England compared to their homeland.
Reply 151
i agree that if you live in England you should learn the language.
also if your not racist why support the bnb? their whole belief and values as a political group is disgusting.
Original post by yusra121
i agree that if you live in England you should learn the language.
also if your not racist why support the bnb? their whole belief and values as a political group is disgusting.

Some BNP members still don't think it's a racist party. How, I don't know :rolleyes:

I agree they should learn English, but to be honest, I don't think I've ever met someone who has come to the UK/their family has come over in the past and can't speak English.

Sometimes a bloke will have a strong accent that I slightly struggle with, but even that's rare. I never feel like a minority when speaking English basically.
Original post by brownchocolateice
Well, I admit i don't live in Britain so I have no idea of the scale of your problem. I guess i find it rude when someone who can speak English talks loudly and in a distracting manner in another language on the phone. However, for the OP to pick out Indians and Ghanians was, i believe, misguided. Most Indians actually do speakl English and talk English on the phones. Obviously when talking to relatives, overseas friends or grandparents they may chat in their own language..but if it is nothing rude or disturbing i don't see the harm in it. They would, i'm sure, still love their adopted land and consider themselves British. How come people are silent when Scottish or Irish people are proud of their heritage and not being labelled British or when they express hostility to the British?

I was just providing a story to compare. It's not meant to be taken seriously. I just find that immigrants are blamed for everything on tsr when many actually try hard to fit in. I'm sure there are bigger problems then a few people not being able to speak English. If people can't speak English then they are just restricting their work opportunities and isolating themselves. However, if the person arrived as a grandparent or a retired person in the UK speaking broken english i don't think they deserve to be treated rudely.

Anyway it's your opinion i'm not going to be having a benny over it.

I'm sure the curries may have been modified when they came here. But the original recipes, the spices and how they should be used etc all came from Asia. I'm sure even the person who invented the curries got inspiration from overseas. Besides, i highly doubt the whole world of curries started out in the UK. A particular british brand maybe.

I was just giving the OP and his gf advice. If they resent the gf's culture so much then maybe it is best to live a British lifestyle and cut cultural links rather than tarnishing whole categories from a particular background, especially since they have contributed so much when it comes to art, business and in the sporting field.

I don't agree with attacking a single group, but I don't think this was the OPs intention - his experience was with these groups so far so they will talk about them more for obvious reasons. But I can see why you shouldn't just focus on one small section. And I know a lot of people from all countries speak English and don't talk in a foriegn language loudly, but there is a problem in parts of the UK and living in Bradford (look it up if you don't know about it) I see it everyday. There really are huge numbers who speak no English at all, and huge numbers who speak English but will spend every moment possible talking in their native language no matter what and where.
Several people have mentioned tourism which I do think is silly as I have no problems with a tourist not speaking a word of English if they want to try and get by that way, they are only visiting and site seeing.

As for the curry, I have been to two Indian weddings now (in India obviously), and I am friends with these families. Every person in India who I mentioned curry to will looked at me like I was insane (when asking for food from the various places I would always slip and say curry because they look similar and I am used to it, but they taste completely different) - and the statement "curries are not Indian" is one I have heard plenty of times from over there.
Original post by Anonymous
It doesn't feel like England is actually English any more. At least not in certain cities. I'm surrounded by so many people who don't speak English, it feels like I'm a tourist in my own country. It makes me feel awkward and uneasy. I don't know what they are saying, nor why so many Europeans insist on shouting at each other, whilst the Asians shout at people on their phones. So many people come here and don't make the effort to integrate at all with our society, so subsequently it's getting washed out. England does have a culture, and people who come here should embrace it, not smother it with their cultures from other countries. It's not un-PC to reserve Englishness!

I hate going into a shop and not being understood. I'm English! If you have a job where you are working in England and speaking to English people then you should know English! Why can people like that get jobs when so many of our own can't get them - and no it's not laziness.

It's just really making me upset. I hate the people on here who complain about how **** England is, and have their flags as India or Ghana, but they would never actually live there. If you're English, you're English. If you hate this country, you can piss off.

Unfortunately anonymous because this is spurred on by my girlfriend and her family who keep insisting that I should learn their language. No, you're in England, you learn English!

Maybe you should be appreciative of the multicultural society we have. I would be bored of being in a city where everyone looks the same and talks the same way. Isn't that what makes life interesting? :confused:

What gets me is non-native speakers saying they don't understand when they clearly do... That's sheer ignorance.
I used to think Asian shopkeepers couldn't speak English, then I realised it was that they chose to not speak, because they're all surly and give the impression they'd rather be anywhere else or serving anyone else.
tbh we can't really complain about their English or lack of...whenever we go abroad, the majority of us don't bother to learn their language either, we just expect everyone to speak English lol :rolleyes:
Reply 157
I speak engrish
At least not in certain cities. I'm surrounded by so many people who don't speak English, it feels like I'm a tourist in my own country.

You mean the chavs? hate to break it to you but a lot of them are English I'm afraid, despite their inability to speak English properly.

It makes me feel awkward and uneasy. I don't know what they are saying, nor why so many Europeans insist on shouting at each other, whilst the Asians shout at people on their phones.

Although, I'll admit, I do sometimes feel uncomfortable when people speak another language in my presence, that's mainly because I'm pretty paranoid and get the idea that they're insulting me or something... now we know how the Spanish must feel. :rolleyes:

So many people come here and don't make the effort to integrate at all with our society, so subsequently it's getting washed out. England does have a culture, and people who come here should embrace it, not smother it with their cultures from other countries. It's not un-PC to reserve Englishness!

As we all know, the Celts, Romans, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Vikings and Normans all integrated perfectly with the country they migrated to; not in any way bringing along their cultures and totally embracing that which preceded them. :rolleyes:

I hate going into a shop and not being understood.

Complain to the manager then, or if they own the shop, don't buy anything from it.

I'm English! If you have a job where you are working in England and speaking to English people then you should know English!

Well, if part of your job is to interact directly with the public (who are unlikely to be able to speak your first language), then well, you wouldn't be employed anyway so erm... yeah, pointless statement.

Why can people like that get jobs when so many of our own can't get them - and no it's not laziness.

Why does a ball fall to the ground when I pick it up and drop it? oh and it's not gravity. :rolleyes:

It's just really making me upset. I hate the people on here who complain about how **** England is, and have their flags as India or Ghana, but they would never actually live there. If you're English, you're English. If you hate this country, you can piss off.

In this thread at least, it's just you complaining about it. Flying a flag of another country doesn't mean you hate this one... frankly the English flag (which by the way... was invented by a Turk IRRC) is pretty boring in my opinion (which is why I'm using the British flag), but that doesn't mean I hate the country it supposedly represents. Heck perhaps it is you who should piss off, you're obviously sick to death of all the foreigners that live in England so well, why not find somewhere where there isn't any?. The South Pole has nice weather...

Unfortunately anonymous because this is spurred on by my girlfriend and her family who keep insisting that I should learn their language. No, you're in England, you learn English!

Find another girlfriend then. If you can't a least try to do something for her then you don't deserve her. I'm no good at languages, but if I were in that situation I'd a least try. And anyway, aren't you kind of contradicting what you said above? you were complaining about English people not being able to get jobs because foreigners are taking them instead. You've just effectively done something very similar; you've let a foreign woman have you instead of English woman, so why can't one of our own women have you? are they too ugly? personality issues? what?

What language does your girlfriend's family speak?

Latest

Trending

Trending