The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Getting upset with the lack of English-speaking people in England.

Scroll to see replies

I actually don't think i've ever come across someone in England who can't speak English (I guess I used to lead a pretty sheltered life:smile:). So when I found out that there are (many!) I was pretty shocked. I honestly didn't think that it was possible that anyone could live in a country without speaking the language ... it just seems utterly bizarre - not to mention lazy, ignorant, etc.

Why our government allowed this to happen is beyond me. Speaking the language is the basic requirement for living in a country. Anyone who disagrees with that, and/ or doesn't mind people living here but not being able to speak English really need to take their heads out of the sand:rolleyes:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 161
V for vendetta remember that pplz:s-smilie:
Original post by Zelex
I think you are confused, the Black Power movement was initiated in order give fellow African-Americans the same writes as their White American counterparts after the oppressive years prior, It's main focus was on equality between races. KKK focuses on a entirely different notion, they were plain racists who were against the the abolition of slavery and terrorised many African-Americans, including murder,rape etc. I suggest you do some research before typing up nonsense.

Im not referring to the origins of the black power movement, yes it was founded on the basis of standing up for their own rights but today it is a black supremist movement, most parties that fully endorse the notion are exclusively for black persons,
The KKK has similar origins and was from the 1865 at the end of the american civil war not specifically a racist movement - but have evolved to different 'ideals'

Dont accuse me of being naive and knowing nothing about the movement when you should get your facts right yourself.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 163
Original post by nonswimmer
I hope your girlfriend finds this, reads this, and dumps you.

calm down dear...
I work in a call centre and the amount of people that phone me that can't speak English is high, and frustrating. We're told in training "one of the worst things you have to overcome is the language barrier." Now I only take calls from people in the UK, and we're UK based but 60-70% of the calls I take a week are from people I cant understand and who can't understand me - it's not easy trying to work with that when I'm meant to be talking them through fixing their computers and we can't understand each other!

I think its great that people who come here try and integrate, their English is good and they're not ignorant of how things work but I do get dismayed that the reason most people come here is to use the benefits our mothers and fathers paid, fought and died for without the intention of paying it back. I know there are a great number of people who don't do that, but still, I have to think about my children and hope that they have the same benefits I have had while growing up, the same experiences and opportunities.

Just saying.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zelex
Who said that if you were a supporter of the Black Power movement, you also supported the Black Panthers. If you did your research, there were many people who opposed the Black Panthers. This is like saying that If I was a Muslim, I am also a supporter of Al qaeda.

You clearly lack the knowledge on this issue.

And comparing someone who supports black power and being a black panther is COMPLETELY different from being a muslim and being a member of al qaeda.

someone with a political belief and associating them with a like minded party
or
someone practicing a religion from being a radical terrorist :s-smilie: make sense much?

So actually know what your talking about before you start trying to undermine people
Original post by Alors_On_Danse
I'm going on a march cos I want Britain to be 'bout British.

Ah, Cosine, thy wields elusive beauty:

Cosx=n=0(1)nx2n(2n)! Cosx = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n x^{2n} }{(2n)!}

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
It doesn't feel like England is actually English any more. At least not in certain cities. I'm surrounded by so many people who don't speak English, it feels like I'm a tourist in my own country. It makes me feel awkward and uneasy. I don't know what they are saying, nor why so many Europeans insist on shouting at each other, whilst the Asians shout at people on their phones. So many people come here and don't make the effort to integrate at all with our society, so subsequently it's getting washed out. England does have a culture, and people who come here should embrace it, not smother it with their cultures from other countries. It's not un-PC to reserve Englishness!

I hate going into a shop and not being understood. I'm English! If you have a job where you are working in England and speaking to English people then you should know English! Why can people like that get jobs when so many of our own can't get them - and no it's not laziness.

It's just really making me upset. I hate the people on here who complain about how **** England is, and have their flags as India or Ghana, but they would never actually live there. If you're English, you're English. If you hate this country, you can piss off.

Unfortunately anonymous because this is spurred on by my girlfriend and her family who keep insisting that I should learn their language. No, you're in England, you learn English!

If love England that much why isn't your girlfriend English? :rolleyes:
Actually I do. I always try to learn some basic phrases. I have a number of phrase books. I avoid those in football shirts like the plague because I think it's arrogant. I also avoid English pubs and cafes when I'm abroad, and always try to order food in the language of the country I'm in. I make the effort so I think others should too.

England is more than a rock. It's a lifestyle. A collection of centuries of modern history.

A rock is not less than England. It's a naturally occurring solid aggregate of minerals and/or mineraloids. A collection of THOUSANDS of years of constant erosion.
Live in Peterborough then you would be lucky to spot someone that speaks english its annoying!
oh no! what about ma saturday night chinese foods!? totally unaccetable!
Original post by Perpetuallity
Ah, Cosine, thy wields elusive beauty:

Cosx=n=0(1)nx2n(2n)! Cosx = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n x^{2n} }{(2n)!}

:smile:

staring at that equation is like being chased by thousand hungry bats! nightmare
Reply 172
Original post by AverageExcellence
Im not referring to the origins of the black power movement, yes it was founded on the basis of standing up for their own rights but today it is a black supremist movement, most parties that fully endorse the notion are exclusively for black persons,
The KKK has similar origins and was from the 1965 at the end of the american civil war not specifically a racist movement - but have evolved to different 'ideals'

Dont accuse me of being naive and knowing nothing about the movement when you should get your facts right yourself.

What are you on about, I have got my facts straight, as I said you are clearly confused, What exactly are you trying to tell us? You first go on about how having the Black fist symbol is Racist, then you compare them to the KKK, which are 2 organisations that were founded on completely different morals and ethics. Then you go on about the current situation with both organizations.

What are you trying to insinuate, your original claim, was that having the Black fist symbol is racist. right? Well again, this is wrong if you indeed do your research you would no the "Black Power" slogan has little to do with the politics behind Black supremacy, and was coined as a term to oppose the oppresion Black people in America faced.

In the words of DR M.L King "Black Power, in its broad and positive meaning, is a call to black people to amass the political and economic strength to achieve their legitimate goals."

“Black is beautiful and as beautiful as any other color. When we believe that, this is something very necessary, this is something very constructive and very creative. So, the concept of Black Power is something we are certainly able to understand and accept. …So as we talk about power, we must always see power as the right use of strength.”

If you are going to condemn the slogan "Black Power", you might as well call the likes of M.L King, James Brown who was also encouraging the slogan to be "Black and Proud".

P.S good try though.
Reply 173
Original post by brownchocolateice
Wow so you posted as anonymous on relationships to post on what is really a non-relationship topic i.e. your intolerance to non-English speaking cultures. If you are against people who are bilingual, or those who prefer to speak their natural tongue a language they are comfortable with, then why don't you date a white English girl? You'll have no English problems then. If you choose to date someone from a diverse background then you should try to accept their language as well. Why should your gf know English and you not know her language?

There are English people living in countries such as India, Ghana etc for many decades and they don't learn the local tongue. I don't hear of mass debate against them. What about the English who lived in Pakistan and India for 200 years. They did not integrate, accept local customs, speak the local language. Asians have been here 50 years and yet you can't cope with them wanting to retain their identity. Have you ever thought about how your ancestors imposed their foreign traditions and will on them and how many cultures you displaced? How treasures and valuables like Kohinoor were stolen from those lands?

btw i live in Aus so you can't say you're going to deport me cos im not being English enough. What about food? If you only want English everything then you should not eat asian foods like vindaloo or chicken tikka etc. They are not English foods. Doesn't that mean you should only stick to SHepherd's pie or bread and butter or people in asian countries should not like to eat pastries etc.

If your gf doesn't push your culture at you then don't worry. Just run away and have your relationship with her. Tell her to cut relationship with her parents if she doesn't want to deal with their imposing ways or even compromise. She should also not accept excess help or monetary support from her parents if she wants to reject everything about them.

I actually believe the vocal anti-immigrant lot on tsr is a minority. My friend who is indian is dating a white girl. Both families like each other and both make attempts to learn each other's culture. My friend's gf wants to learn his language and get more involved. Even attempting to do that is praiseworthy.
If you don't want to attempt to learn a new culture then shouldn't you date within a culturally homogenous group such as yourself. I have Chinese friends who speak Mandarin on the phone. I don't understand but i don't resent it.

This is not to say people shouldn't speak English they should but they shouldn't forget their own heritage. Why you pick on Indians or Ghanians is beyond me. What about Irish, or Scottish people proud of their non-ENglish background. What about English people living in Aus for past 20 years and still waving the English flags and supporting the English team. If they love England so much they should move back, why come here. Same for Australians who support Australia but live in England.
Why prejudice against ethnic minorities who are not white and want to retain their cultural heritage? That smacks of racism.

You live in Australia you should bloody support Aus then mate. That's what you would think but i think they should support who they identify with as long as they contribute to the country of residence. Besides, coming to a country at age 50-60 and having responsibility to take care of grandchildren as many asian grandparents who come here do, often means they don't have a chance to fully learn english. Why should they at that age? They don't work here and the fact they act as role of carer, allowing their children to work, means they contribute to society

this thread should have ended here, spot on.
Reply 174
And comparing someone who supports black power and being a black panther is COMPLETELY different from being a muslim and being a member of al qaeda.

someone with a political belief and associating them with a like minded party
or
someone practicing a religion from being a radical terrorist :s-smilie: make sense much?

So actually know what your talking about before you start trying to undermine people

Oh,So you never knew some al qaeda members are so called "practicing Muslims"? lol
it feels like I'm a tourist in my own country.

Spain, Thailand, Abu Dubai...
It doesn't feel like England is actually English any more. At least not in certain cities. I'm surrounded by so many people who don't speak English, it feels like I'm a tourist in my own country. It makes me feel awkward and uneasy. I don't know what they are saying, nor why so many Europeans insist on shouting at each other, whilst the Asians shout at people on their phones. So many people come here and don't make the effort to integrate at all with our society, so subsequently it's getting washed out. England does have a culture, and people who come here should embrace it, not smother it with their cultures from other countries. It's not un-PC to reserve Englishness!

I hate going into a shop and not being understood. I'm English! If you have a job where you are working in England and speaking to English people then you should know English! Why can people like that get jobs when so many of our own can't get them - and no it's not laziness.

It's just really making me upset. I hate the people on here who complain about how **** England is, and have their flags as India or Ghana, but they would never actually live there. If you're English, you're English. If you hate this country, you can piss off.

Unfortunately anonymous because this is spurred on by my girlfriend and her family who keep insisting that I should learn their language. No, you're in England, you learn English!

I understand where you're coming from, here. However, it isn't "the people can't speak english" it isn't there fault. So, you might walk into a shop and you might not be able to understand what someone is saying. However that doesn't mean they aren't trying.

What about the people who employed them? It is not there fault? If the person "who can't speak english" honestly can't speak english, why would the employer employ them? Now you might be thinking well because they work for less money. And yes, they very well might.

But, in all honesty, what can you do? I'm not saying this is right, because it's wrong that others work for less so others don't get work. But it's the way the world goes round. You can't just blame others however. They have a job, and they somehow got that job. And maybe in your circumstances those people weren't trying hard to speak English maybe they were.

I have no idea. I guess in the end it comes down to interpretation. You may think others aren't trying hard enough to learn a language, others may think they are. Who knows?
Original post by Zelex
What are you on about, I have got my facts straight, as I said you are clearly confused, What exactly are you trying to tell us? You first go on about how having the Black fist symbol is Racist, then you compare them to the KKK, which are 2 organisations that were founded on completely different morals and ethics. Then you go on about the current situation with both organizations.

What are you trying to insinuate, your original claim, was that having the Black fist symbol is racist. right? Well again, this is wrong if you indeed do your research you would no the "Black Power" slogan has little to do with the politics behind Black supremacy, and was coined as a term to oppose the oppresion Black people in America faced.

In the words of DR M.L King "Black Power, in its broad and positive meaning, is a call to black people to amass the political and economic strength to achieve their legitimate goals."

“Black is beautiful and as beautiful as any other color. When we believe that, this is something very necessary, this is something very constructive and very creative. So, the concept of Black Power is something we are certainly able to understand and accept. …So as we talk about power, we must always see power as the right use of strength.”

If you are going to condemn the slogan "Black Power", you might as well call the likes of M.L King, James Brown who was also encouraging the slogan to be "Black and Proud".

P.S good try though.

The point im making is that how can in a modern context where we have freedom and equality for all colours and creeds that white power is racist and black power isnt. The origins of them both are clearly relevent, but now they are essentially uphold the same sentiments.
And quoting doctor king in the midst of the civil rights movement over 50 years ago isnt the right context as it is today. Im not sure if your trying to refute my argument or if your making a point but dont stand there (not you, the other guy) and call me a racist pig when youre displaying a symbol which is controversially racist.
Original post by Zelex
Oh,So you never knew some al qaeda members are so called "practicing Muslims"? lol

Thats their interpretation on what practicing it is and a very warped one at that, thats not the overwhelming majority of the islamic community agree it is. Theres no logic or relevence of you trying to compare the two in relation to what i said

p.s: nice try though
Reply 179
The point im making is that how can in a modern context where we have freedom and equality for all colours and creeds that white power is racist and black power isnt. The origins of them both are clearly relevent, but now they are essentially uphold the same sentiments.
And quoting doctor king in the midst of the civil rights movement over 50 years ago isnt the right context as it is today. Im not sure if your trying to refute my argument or if your making a point but dont stand there (not you, the other guy) and call me a racist pig when youre displaying a symbol which is controversially racist.

My point is that the symbol is not racist. It symbolises strenght, unity and gave people hope. I have Afro-combs with the symbol which can be bought anywhere in London, why haven't they been banned? I would say it maybe controversial but definitley not racist.

What exactly is White Power, what does it symbolise?

Latest

Trending

Trending