Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Please Advice..is LSE really worth 45k ??

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I have an offer to study BSc. Maths and Econ at LSE. As an international student my tuition fee will approx be £15,000 p.a over 3 years (so 45k in total). But the issue is Uni of Manchester has offered me 100% scholarship for the same course. (Its a merit scholarship only offered to 2 students a year, I have 5As at A-Levels + some strong ECs).

I am really keen on a pursuing a career in IB, so I dont know how much of a hurdle would choosing Manchester over LSE be ?? My family can manage to pay for LSE (with a bit of a stretch), but they are really proud of the scholarship and would love me to go for it.. but they have left the ultimate decision to me and I do not want to put too much pressure on them.

So what do you guys suggest ?? If I work hard at Manchester and highlight my award + strong academics, will it give me good shot at IBs ? Or is LSE really a wortwhile investment ?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotgold)
    Hi All,

I have an offer to study BSc. Maths and Econ at LSE. As an international student my tuition fee will approx be £15,000 p.a over 3 years (so 45k in total). But the issue is Uni of Manchester has offered me 100% scholarship for the same course. (Its a merit scholarship only offered to 2 students a year, I have 5As at A-Levels + some strong ECs).

I am really keen on a pursuing a career in IB, so I dont know how much of a hurdle would choosing Manchester over LSE be ?? My family can manage to pay for LSE (with a bit of a stretch), but they are really proud of the scholarship and would love me to go for it.. but they have left the ultimate decision to me and I do not want to put too much pressure on them.

So what do you guys suggest ?? If I work hard at Manchester and highlight my award + strong academics, will it give me good shot at IBs ? Or is LSE really a wortwhile investment ?
    It's a bit unfair to ask your parents to pay £45k when you can go to Manchester.

I know a few people who are working in IB now. It didn't seem to be that disadvantage for Manchester students. I doubt LSE will give you a huge advantage. Especially, if you are good enough to get a scholarship that only 2 get a year.

Just go to Manchester, it be unfair to go to LSE and your really banking on the fact that you will get an IB job after that will make up for it. However, that might not be true. Plus you could probably get an IB place going to Manchester. It's probably why they gave you the stupid scholarship.

P.S. Save your parents money. It would probably look more impressive to the Investment banks that you are one of two people who is getting this scholarship that is worth a lot, than being another random foreign student who is going to LSE because he has well off parents.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

LSE
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    LSE
    I hate TSR. How can you conclude that.

Please OP don't listen to these morons.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

LSE is unbeatable (other than oxbridge) when it comes to IB. At manchester you have zero chance.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onewingedangel)
    LSE is unbeatable (other than oxbridge) when it comes to IB. At manchester you have zero chance.
    How the hell can you conclude that?

That is also wrong. I know several people who have made it into IB from going to Manchester.

I hope to god OP doesn't listen to you guys.

P.S. Personally, the scholarship itself would make him look better than the average LSE student.

But, OP these guys will give you crappy advice. I know several people who have made it into IB. Just have to do summer internships.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    simplicity is a good man.

go to manchester, save 45k debt, work really ****ing hard and work through the summers. you'll have your career sorted.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Manchester, you aren't guaranteed anything at the end of the day, it's what you do with your degree that counts. Manchester is the most targeted university amongst top 100 graduate firms, and no doubt a fair few of these will be IBs/Financial firms. You could save £45,000. It's a lot of money. You could start a successful business with that much if all else fails.

TSR assumes 6 certain universities in the UK take up 99% of IB positions, but in reality I hardly doubt it is as clear cut as that. Just because they don't release information such as where they recruit their grads from doesn't mean it's just those universities. Look at Politicians, yes a lot come from Oxbridge, but there are a fair few that have come from Russell Group and 94 Group unis (not saying anything about the groups, it's easier than typing the names of the unis). Some have even come from polys (at the time) such as Trent and London Met (think it was north London poly at the time?).

Anyway that's just one example I'm using. Manchester has a great reputation amongst employers, as well as having the BEST careers department in the country. If you want to get somewhere, you can get there at Manchester in my opinion, at the cost of nothing, plus living expenses.

Probably gonna get negs and bias calls but oh well, that's my opinion anyway
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    At Imperial I'll have to pay 23k+ just for tuition every year, but I really like the course I applied to so obviously I'd be happy to do it. Don't make a decision on tuition fees if you can afford it, at a good enough average decent job LSE grads are going to get, you can recover the entire tuition fees in two years (I'm not only talking about IB).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Times University rankings.

Economics: LSE = 3rd. Manchester = 43rd.

Mathematics: LSE - 12th. Manchester = 60th.

LSE students also have the highest average starting salary of any students in the UK. 45K is a big investment, but it's easily paid back.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah1345)
    Manchester, you aren't guaranteed anything at the end of the day, it's what you do with your degree that counts. Manchester is the most targeted university amongst top 100 graduate firms, and no doubt a fair few of these will be IBs/Financial firms. You could save £45,000. It's a lot of money. You could start a successful business with that much if all else fails.

TSR assumes 6 certain universities in the UK take up 99% of IB positions, but in reality I hardly doubt it is as clear cut as that. Just because they don't release information such as where they recruit their grads from doesn't mean it's just those universities. Look at Politicians, yes a lot come from Oxbridge, but there are a fair few that have come from Russell Group and 94 Group unis (not saying anything about the groups, it's easier than typing the names of the unis). Some have even came from polys (at the time) such as Trent and London Met (think it was north London poly at the time?).

Anyway that's just one example I'm using. Manchester has a great reputation amongst employers, as well as having the BEST careers department in the country. If you want to get somewhere, you can get there at Manchester in my opinion, at the cost of nothing, plus living expenses.

Probably gonna get negs and bias calls but oh well, that's my opinion anyway
    Yeah but politics =/= IB. In politics there's plenty of opportunity to prove yourself after you graduate before you get anywhere, but for IB that's much limited. I doubt HR at banks will care about scholarships that much, at least it's going to be outweighed by the resources you get at LSE to get in to an IB.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmqib)
    At Imperial I'll have to pay 23k+ just for tuition every year, but I really like the course I applied to so obviously I'd be happy to do it. Don't make a decision on tuition fees if you can afford it, at a good enough average decent job LSE grads are going to get, you can recover the entire tuition fees in two years (I'm not only talking about IB).

Go to Manchester if you want to be an accountant.
    You do know that internships and work experience are more important than the uni you go to.

Also, the implication that Manchester students become accountants is nonsense. How can you conclude that?

(Original post by DavidTheYoung)
    The Times University rankings.

Economics: LSE = 3rd. Manchester = 43rd.

Mathematics: LSE - 12th. Manchester = 60th.

LSE students also have the highest average starting salary of any students in the UK. 45K is a big investment, but it's easily paid back.
    It's not really 45k. It's more 45k plus living in london, which is expensive as hell. So OP will be getting his parents to pay for it.

League tables are nonsense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    You do know that internships and work experience are more important than the uni you go to.

Also, the implication that Manchester students become accountants is nonsense. How can you conclude that?

It's not really 45k. It's more 45k plus living in london, which is expensive as hell. So OP will be getting his parents to pay for it.

I agree, if you're going to use rankings, use the global rankings. Newspaper tables focus on student satisfaction too much. Fair enough, Manchester may still not be top or as high as LSE with a proper ratings method being implemented, maybe in the top 15, but it's not...that (above)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread I'm out.

Anyway, OP you have plenty of opportunities to get summer internship with an investment bank. There is also a very good investment analyst group that offer work experience during the degree that is based in Manchester.

The point is you should really be focusing on getting solid internship experience. Don't listen to the trolls with league tables who say only people who go to LSE can get into IB.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree, if you're going to use rankings, use the global rankings. Newspaper tables focus on student satisfaction too much. Fair enough, Manchester may still not be top or as high as LSE with a proper ratings method being implemented, maybe in the top 15, but it's not...that (above)
    You go Manchester, what do you study?. Why you up so late? Got a test in like 7 hours.

Personally, I don't know why student satisfaction is so low.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

That's what I mean, it's much easier for a LSE student to get internships and other opportunities because pretty much every IB have some presence in the campus, Manchester not so much, you have to be much more proactive, why make things more difficult for yourself. And the OP is an international student and the odds are already stacked against you for various reasons, you need to give yourself the best chance you can.

That's probably where the majority of finance grads at manchester (and other similiar places like Bristol etc.) go to from what I've noticed, but I'm not sure. (there's nothing wrong with accounting.)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread I'm out.

Anyway, OP you have plenty of opportunities to get summer internship with an investment bank. There is also a very good investment analyst group that offer work experience during the degree that is based in Manchester.

The point is you should really be focusing on getting solid internship experience. Don't listen to the trolls with league tables who say only people who go to LSE can get into IB.
    What investment group is this in Manchester that offer work experience? I'm starting in September, I'm not into IB, but would be good to get financial service experience.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You go Manchester, what do you study?. Why you up so late? Got a test in like 7 hours.

Personally, I don't know why student satisfaction is so low.
    No not yet, firming soon. To study History and Economics, so not exactly geared for IB, but IB isn't what I'm after lol How about you, where are you? Studying..?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    What investment group is this in Manchester that offer work experience? I'm starting in September, I'm not into IB, but would be good to get financial service experience.
    I think it was Hays. They wanted someone from the Maths department to do two days a week unpaid work. It seemed like a big con.

No not yet, firming soon. To study History and Economics, so not exactly geared for IB, but IB isn't what I'm after lol How about you, where are you? Studying..?
    That might be a bit tricky. I read that the humanities side can cause problem getting into finance, but having the goal in life to make a ton of money is sort of silly. Why aren't you doing something more Mathematical?

I'm studying Mathematics at Manchester. Through would never go into finance. Planning to go into Medical imaging field.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit unfair to ask your parents to pay £45k when you can go to Manchester.

I know a few people who are working in IB now. It didn't seem to be that disadvantage for Manchester students. I doubt LSE will give you a huge advantage. Especially, if you are good enough to get a scholarship that only 2 get a year.

Just go to Manchester, it be unfair to go to LSE and your really banking on the fact that you will get an IB job after that will make up for it. However, that might not be true. Plus you could probably get an IB place going to Manchester. It's probably why they gave you the stupid scholarship.

P.S. Save your parents money. It would probably look more impressive to the Investment banks that you are one of two people who is getting this scholarship that is worth a lot, than being another random foreign student who is going to LSE because he has well off parents.

Absolutely LSE... I am willing to pay more than 45K

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 29, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.