Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please Advice..is LSE really worth 45k ??

Announcements Posted on
The Careers section needs more moderators! 21-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lalafell)
    Absolutely LSE... I am willing to pay more than 45K
    It's more his parents are paying it. So are you willing to get your parents to pay 45k plus london living expenses?

His parents have said that he wants him to go to Manchester since the scholarship.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Manchester, no brainer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    I think it was Hays. They wanted someone from the Maths department to do two days a week unpaid work. It seemed like a big con.

That might be a bit tricky. I read that the humanities side can cause problem getting into finance, but having the goal in life to make a ton of money is sort of silly. Why aren't you doing something more Mathematical?

I'm studying Mathematics at Manchester. Through would never go into finance. Planning to go into Medical imaging field.
    Dropped Maths after GCSE, not that I struggle with numbers, I just had other interests. Hmm, you can still get into finance, it just won't be a quantitative/technical role. From graduate destinations I received Humanities and Social Science departments at Manchester, several have gone onto financial institutions, banks, consultancy, brokers, insurance etc. As well as energy companies like BP, Exon, Royal Dutch, technology companies. Transport, civil service etc. to be honest the kind of culture that exists in financial services, I'm not sure it's for me. Like that guy who quit and complained about goldman sachs the other day
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, that 45K is a lot, but when its to comparing LSE and Manchester being free, go with LSE, you have much better career chances with LSE, even in North America LSE is known within the financial area. Apart from Oxbrige, Harvard, Yale, in business, LSE is near the top.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotgold)
    Hi All,

I have an offer to study BSc. Maths and Econ at LSE. As an international student my tuition fee will approx be £15,000 p.a over 3 years (so 45k in total). But the issue is Uni of Manchester has offered me 100% scholarship for the same course. (Its a merit scholarship only offered to 2 students a year, I have 5As at A-Levels + some strong ECs).

I am really keen on a pursuing a career in IB, so I dont know how much of a hurdle would choosing Manchester over LSE be ?? My family can manage to pay for LSE (with a bit of a stretch), but they are really proud of the scholarship and would love me to go for it.. but they have left the ultimate decision to me and I do not want to put too much pressure on them.

So what do you guys suggest ?? If I work hard at Manchester and highlight my award + strong academics, will it give me good shot at IBs ? Or is LSE really a wortwhile investment ?
    From first hand experience of going into IB from manchester, I highly recommend you choose LSE, it's so very difficult when you're competing against people from target unis, so many straight rejections.

If you want to go into something like audit or be an actuary, and have a good social life then choose Manchester.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah1345)
    TSR assumes 6 certain universities in the UK take up 99% of IB positions, but in reality I hardly doubt it is as clear cut as that.
    Out of the UK universities, it's more like 80% for the revenue generating roles. It's a very large slice.

You do know that internships and work experience are more important than the uni you go to.
    It's much harder to get the internship if you aren't starting off with the best shot.

The big advantage that LSE has over anywhere, is that the internal culture of the university is very driven towards finance. Your peers are pushing so hard to get there, you push harder too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a tough one because if there was no scholarship I will go for LSE but because of the scholarship going more towards Manchester BUT I believe you can still get into IB as far as you gain internship, work experience etc and you seem bright anyway so this should be straightforward.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How the hell can you conclude that?

That is also wrong. I know several people who have made it into IB from going to Manchester.

I hope to god OP doesn't listen to you guys.

P.S. Personally, the scholarship itself would make him look better than the average LSE student.

But, OP these guys will give you crappy advice. I know several people who have made it into IB. Just have to do summer internships.
    Isn't it usually less likely to get an internship anyway unless you go to one of the top unis? Also, do you know anyone who has been to say a mid-ranked uni non-russell group and made it into investment banking (even middle office?)
    Cheers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    go to manchester! the difference in cost is too large to pass up, plus it is not true at all that you can't get into a FO role from somewhere like manchester.
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if the family circumstances suddenly changed in a year and you had to drop out :/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)

It's much harder to get the internship if you aren't starting off with the best shot.

The big advantage that LSE has over anywhere, is that the internal culture of the university is very driven towards finance. Your peers are pushing so hard to get there, you push harder too.
    Firstly thanks a lot for your advice, really mixed responses so again I am getting even more confused now lol . And secondly, I am well aware that LSE is way better than Manc. (for Economics) so no doubts there. Just wanted to see if the difference is significant enough to pay all that money.

I see several of you have mentioned internships. Maybe I should have said this earlier, my brother recently graduated from Warwick and started working as a grad for one of the big American bank. He said that he will definitely be able to help me sort out internships and insights. He is got a few of his buddies at all these bulge bracket banks (at analyst/ associate level) and in a couple of years time when they are further established in the industry I can just go and work shadow them to gain some experience and enhance my CV.

But obviously my brother can help me set foot in the door but it will be down to me to secure a job, but I reckon it will become much easier once I have a couple of strong names on the CV.

So does this impact my decision in favour of Manchester (as internship part is pretty much sorted ??)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    LSE has a favourable name in terms of IB. Does that mean you cant get into IB from Manchester? No. There's a guy on this forum who is in S&T at a BB for exotic equities i think its called, hes from Manchester. Brand name helps, but its EC's and internships that matter. I'd say make a decision on which campus, lifestyle you prefer, because after all you will live there for 3 years and you need to be happy. You can get anywhere you want with hardwork and listening to 95% of the idiots in IB&C who will tell you LSE is literally the best, is not going to help.

LSE is an excellent brand name, it does not mean the teaching is far more superior.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly thanks a lot for your advice, really mixed responses so again I am getting even more confused now lol . And secondly, I am well aware that LSE is way better than Manc. (for Economics) so no doubts there. Just wanted to see if the difference is significant enough to pay all that money.

I see several of you have mentioned internships. Maybe I should have said this earlier, my brother recently graduated from Warwick and started working as a grad for one of the big American bank. He said that he will definitely be able to help me sort out internships and insights. He is got a few of his buddies at all these bulge bracket banks (at analyst/ associate level) and in a couple of years time when they are further established in the industry I can just go and work shadow them to gain some experience and enhance my CV.

But obviously my brother can help me set foot in the door but it will be down to me to secure a job, but I reckon it will become much easier once I have a couple of strong names on the CV.

So does this impact my decision in favour of Manchester (as internship part is pretty much sorted ??)
    Well , this clears everything else then . If you have a brother in IB already , what is this fuss all about , save your parents money , go to manchester and enjoy your studies . Even if there was no help from your brother etc , who says LSE students are guaranteed a job in IB ? This crazy TSR belief is a joke and very stupid . I have loads of former LSE graduates who are in Accounting , consulting etc who failed to go into IB , so ???? Most of this silly LSE IB thingy is from mainly people who haven't been there or know anything about the IB field , just 17 and 18 year olds growing with what they heard years ago and want to bring it here , dont listen to that .
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Personally, I'd take the scholarship at Manchester as you'd really save a ton of money. Granted LSE gives you the best shot right from the start, but considering your family's financial situation, you realistically only have a couple of chances during your undergraduate days to get into the industry. 1) First year insight weeks, 2) Summer internship, 3) Graduate applications. If you fail at round 2, it's very unlikely 3 will be successful. With Manchester, at least you have a backup option of doing a masters in finance at LSE thereafter, which is very competitive and will get you places. Of course you could go to LSE and still do the masters but then your family would already have spent >60k on your bachelors.

But what other posters have said is right. If you want the best shot right from the start, LSE is the perfect place. You'll be able to go to all the networking sessions, peer pressure (especially in your course) will be immense, plenty of IB-related societies, option of working part-time at a hedge fund during term time etc. I was just giving you a longer-term perspective IF for some reason you screw up in 1st/2nd year, or maybe decide IB is not for you, Manchester would be better.

About your brother's buddies, chances are you still have to go through the recruitment process. Backdoor entry through family connections are rare, even for internships. Especially more so if your contacts are only at the associate level currently.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate TSR. How can you conclude that.

Please OP don't listen to these morons.
    You sound so informed, you must know a lot about the finance sector.

\sarcasm. just in case you can't digest it properly
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidTheYoung)
    The Times University rankings.

Economics: LSE = 3rd. Manchester = 43rd.

Mathematics: LSE - 12th. Manchester = 60th.

LSE students also have the highest average starting salary of any students in the UK. 45K is a big investment, but it's easily paid back.
    Actually Cambridge students have the highest starting salary.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing like as sorted as you think.

You might get a gentle email nudge to interview at a few places but only your brother is likely to actually make much serious effort on your behalf (and essentially put his chops on the line for you because if he does and you flunk an interview it makes me him look pretty bad).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    LSE is ranked behind only Harvard, Stanford and MIT in the QS rankings for social sciences.. ahead of Princeton, Yale, Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, Chicago, Berkeley. I don't know how the loan system works for international applicants, but if it's similar to home applicants, LSE would be the better choice imo.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onewingedangel)
    Actually Cambridge students have the highest starting salary.
    higher than 35k?
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidTheYoung)
    The Times University rankings.

Economics: LSE = 3rd. Manchester = 43rd.

Mathematics: LSE - 12th. Manchester = 60th.

LSE students also have the highest average starting salary of any students in the UK. 45K is a big investment, but it's easily paid back.
    If a future employee is basing their judgement on these league tables, I won't be working with them.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 29, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.