Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please Advice..is LSE really worth 45k ??

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    LSE... By far, you will reap the rewards as soon as you graduate and get a higher paying job than a manchester uni graduate,
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Definitely LSE, Econ students at LSE are the highest paid graduates in the country - 45k can be quickly paid off.

So definitely LSE unless your parents actually can't afford it.
    Yes but the problem is, he isn't 100% going to get a job in IB. He may have a brother in IB but a contact at associate/analyst level means jack ****. He'll still have to go through the recruitment process with very little assistance through a back door.

Will his parents be able to cope with paying 45k without any problems? Let alone the cost of living in London.

Personally I'd go with Manc.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arbaaz)
    LSE... By far, you will reap the rewards as soon as you graduate and get a higher paying job than a manchester uni graduate,
    Could I also have the lotto numbers?

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)

of course, just send me 2,000 GBP to my western union account in nigeria.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Yes but the problem is, he isn't 100% going to get a job in IB. He may have a brother in IB but a contact at associate/analyst level means jack ****. He'll still have to go through the recruitment process with very little assistance through a back door.

Will his parents be able to cope with paying 45k without any problems? Let alone the cost of living in London.

Personally I'd go with Manc.
    I agree that if the 45k has a significant effect on the parents then he should probably go with manchester. But if they're okay with paying it, and will get along fine without it, it's worth it. He may not get a job in IB but then again you can't be completely sure of anything - that doesn't mean you shouldn't go for what makes getting that uncertain thing more likely.

That was a pretty convoluted sentence in retrospect.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    of course, just send me 2,000 GBP to my western union account in nigeria.
    LOLWUT.

Read what you wrote, and then what I wrote again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotgold)
    Hi All,

I have an offer to study BSc. Maths and Econ at LSE. As an international student my tuition fee will approx be £15,000 p.a over 3 years (so 45k in total). But the issue is Uni of Manchester has offered me 100% scholarship for the same course. (Its a merit scholarship only offered to 2 students a year, I have 5As at A-Levels + some strong ECs).

I am really keen on a pursuing a career in IB, so I dont know how much of a hurdle would choosing Manchester over LSE be ?? My family can manage to pay for LSE (with a bit of a stretch), but they are really proud of the scholarship and would love me to go for it.. but they have left the ultimate decision to me and I do not want to put too much pressure on them.

So what do you guys suggest ?? If I work hard at Manchester and highlight my award + strong academics, will it give me good shot at IBs ? Or is LSE really a wortwhile investment ?
    I would go with LSE. It will give you entre' into top firms. If you amortize that cost over your working life, it is really not that much, per year, when you think about it.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)

14 15 18 26 31 36 48

You didn't specify they had to be future ones
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    LOLWUT.

Read what you wrote, and then what I wrote again.
    I did, and I have no idea what you meant
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree that if the 45k has a significant effect on the parents then he should probably go with manchester. But if they're okay with paying it, and will get along fine without it, it's worth it. He may not get a job in IB but then again you can't be completely sure of anything - that doesn't mean you shouldn't go for what makes getting that uncertain thing more likely.

That was a pretty convoluted sentence in retrospect.
    Agreed.

I'd only go with LSE, if and only IF his parents will have no problems whatsoever in paying for the costs of studying and living in London.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try reading between the lines .
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    He's saying that you can't make the statement you did because you cannot see into the future. And if he's wrong, and you can - he's hoping you can provide some lotto numbers for him (it's a joke).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    He's saying that you can't make the statement you did because you cannot see into the future. And if he's wrong, and you can - he's hoping you can provide some lotto numbers for him.
    Ahh thank you for clarifying...
    Ok let me rephrase what I said,

" a graduate from lse is more likely to get a higher paying job in IB than a manchester uni graduate although this is not guaranteed and will depend on a number of external factors e.g. the state of the economy, the degree classification of the applicant amongst other factors."
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Try reading between the lines .
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Sorry young lad, I'm pretty much far away from my teenage, A-Levels, AS and College years (unlike you) :teehee: Before you want to throw some baseless accusations, you might need to check your sources

No you didin't :rolleyes:
    'Seeing as you want to be an investment banker, go to LSE. It is one of the target universities and although Manchester MAY be a semi-target, it will definitely be more difficult to get into investment banking from there.'

So where did I say he can't get in from Manchester?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deep456)
    'Seeing as you want to be an investment banker, go to LSE. It is one of the target universities and although Manchester MAY be a semi-target, it will definitely be more difficult to get into investment banking from there.'

So where did I say he can't get in from Manchester?
    What the hell are you mumbling about? :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd choose LSE if I could afford to go. If I couldn't afford then, obviously I'd take the scholarship.

Also, on a moral ground, if you are very wealthy and take the Manchester scholarship, you are taking away the opportunity for somebody else who isn't so financially able.

1. If you can afford it, go to LSE, it will shine on your CV IMO.
    2. If you cannot afford it, go to Manchester, which is respectable in Economics, but nowhere near as much as LSE.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    14 15 18 26 31 36 48

You didn't specify they had to be future ones
    You know what I was implying...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go to manc then use the 45k to do a masters at Harvard or somewhere. An LSE degree isn't worth 45k.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hockeyjoe)
    higher than 35k?
    38k.
    That's for economics though, I don't know about other courses.
    And LSE is not 35k, it's actually 33k, which is still the second highest.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 29, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.