Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please Advice..is LSE really worth 45k ??

Announcements Posted on
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    The entire number people from Manchester heading into (proper) finance is probably less than 20 a year. Maybe less than 10.

The density, total size and breadth at LSE is better than anywhere else.
    Can you talk clearly and specific? I would assume that's a valuable asset in finance.

Because you haven't really answered my question. I can guess what you mean from your first post already but if I were your boss I wouldn't want to guess what you are trying to tell me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Can you talk clearly and specific? I would assume that's a valuable asset in finance.

Because you haven't really answered my question. I can guess what you mean from your first post already but if I were your boss I wouldn't want to guess what you are trying to tell me.
    What Ben said was simple enough. 10-20 people a year from manchester go into banking while a lot more from LSE make it

Ben does have a knack of speaking like he was making a trade but it all makes sense
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul Allen)
    What Ben said was simple enough. 10-20 people a year from manchester go into banking while a lot more from LSE make it

Ben does have a knack of speaking like he was making a trade but it all makes sense
    And you are Mr. JoinedMarch2012? I'm sure Ben can talk for himself.

And if you actually thought I did not understand that he meant a heck of a lot more students from LSE go into IB than Manc then just wow. Not only did you totally miss the point of my question, but you must think I am beyond stupid...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's implied that Manchester is a pretty bad place to do it.

Your internship is a very narrow group.

The start of the career is very late.

And I don't have a boss.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's implied that Manchester is a pretty bad place to do it.

Your internship is a very narrow group.

The start of the career is very late.

And I don't have a boss.
    There you go.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go to Manchester. I would do the same in your place and I went to LSE myself. It is not true that you have zero chance from Manchester. Also, the fact alone that you received a scholarship as one of two people only will be highly interesting to IB's. You will get the interview from either place and from then onwards it's up to you anyway. Plus you can always do a Master at LSE and only dish out 20k. Although my friend went from LSE to a master at Cambridge with full funding so that option is also available to you.

I really don't see why you should spend 45k when you can save all of that. Sure if you want to go into academia then LSE is better but even then you still have the master and phd in front of you.
    exactly. as insurance he can always do a further degree at lower total cost with the same supposed network benefits

i'm an lse grad too and i can assure OP that the LSE factor is not worth a 45k premium. perhaps op will decide ib is not for him, at which point all these first year bonus calculations start to look rather foolish.

access to finance societies and career events is of marginal career value and really not a requirement (do interesting things with your spare time in term and get experience in your holidays...)

all the people i know now in IB got in through the online application meat grinder or straight from spring weeks. perhaps they will never be big time hustlers like president ben who dream up alpha in the shower, but i don't think they mind.

plus op has inside knowledge from his brother, which is at least as valuable as chatting to other undergrads.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotgold)
    Hi All,

I have an offer to study BSc. Maths and Econ at LSE. As an international student my tuition fee will approx be £15,000 p.a over 3 years (so 45k in total). But the issue is Uni of Manchester has offered me 100% scholarship for the same course. (Its a merit scholarship only offered to 2 students a year, I have 5As at A-Levels + some strong ECs).

I am really keen on a pursuing a career in IB, so I dont know how much of a hurdle would choosing Manchester over LSE be ?? My family can manage to pay for LSE (with a bit of a stretch), but they are really proud of the scholarship and would love me to go for it.. but they have left the ultimate decision to me and I do not want to put too much pressure on them.

So what do you guys suggest ?? If I work hard at Manchester and highlight my award + strong academics, will it give me good shot at IBs ? Or is LSE really a wortwhile investment ?
    Wrong spelling of advise. Just sayin'
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by made_of_fail)
    exactly. as insurance he can always do a further degree at lower total cost with the same supposed network benefits

i'm an lse grad too and i can assure OP that the LSE factor is not worth a 45k premium. perhaps op will decide ib is not for him, at which point all these first year bonus calculations start to look rather foolish.

all the people i know now in IB got in through the online application meat grinder or straight from spring weeks. perhaps they will never be big time hustlers like president ben who dream up alpha in the shower but i don't think they mind.

access to finance societies and career events is of marginal career value and really not a requirement (do interesting things with your spare time in term and get experience in your holidays...)

plus op has inside knowledge from his brother, which is at least as valuable as chatting to other undergrads.
    Good point on the OP might change his mind.

Anyway, since you're an LSE grad, how's the education in the LSE? I got from multiple sources it's crappy.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by made_of_fail)
    Undergrad is totally different from postgrad.

Indeed. But that's for him to work out.

Versus nearly no access, there's something to it. But what's particular to LSE is the internal networks among the students.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Anyway, since you're an LSE grad, how's the education in the LSE? I got from multiple sources it's crappy.
    The university education is barely worth your time anywhere. And the piece of paper at the end depreciates to about zero inside of three years.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    And you are Mr. JoinedMarch2012? I'm sure Ben can talk for himself.

And if you actually thought I did not understand that he meant a heck of a lot more students from LSE go into IB than Manc then just wow. Not only did you totally miss the point of my question, but you must think I am beyond stupid...
    I see...judging my worth by the date I signed up. So having signed up in 2009, your e-penis must be quite impressive no? Throw it on the CV with the 1st from LSE as it makes impressive reading.

Well he answered your question regarding the networking. The fact that you had to ask again might imply that you are beyond stupid.

You did say "Can you talk clearly and specific? I would assume that's a valuable asset in finance." Im sure that being able to extrapolate the answer from something is also a valuable asset in finance. Ben probably didnt have to do a lot of talking as a prop trader so whether it was valuable or not is questionable. Sales or a role in a product/industry group and it would be a different story.

Feel better now Danny?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    The university education is barely worth your time anywhere. And the piece of paper at the end depreciates to about zero inside of three years.
    Then why are you here in the first place? Go play somewhere else.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotgold)
    Hi All,

I have an offer to study BSc. Maths and Econ at LSE. As an international student my tuition fee will approx be £15,000 p.a over 3 years (so 45k in total). But the issue is Uni of Manchester has offered me 100% scholarship for the same course. (Its a merit scholarship only offered to 2 students a year, I have 5As at A-Levels + some strong ECs).

I am really keen on a pursuing a career in IB, so I dont know how much of a hurdle would choosing Manchester over LSE be ?? My family can manage to pay for LSE (with a bit of a stretch), but they are really proud of the scholarship and would love me to go for it.. but they have left the ultimate decision to me and I do not want to put too much pressure on them.

So what do you guys suggest ?? If I work hard at Manchester and highlight my award + strong academics, will it give me good shot at IBs ? Or is LSE really a wortwhile investment ?
    Go to MANCHESTER. The employer will obviously see that you went to manchester because you were offereed a £45k scholarship....who wouldnt take that. dont waste 45k lol...trust me.. You have 5As at a level and you probably will try hard at uni and end up with a first or 2.1. Now that is a impressive candidate. yes LSE might be a a little bit better but so WHAT? You are someone who could easily go to lse you have 5As even the employer could see that but you didnt BEcause you got a 45k scholarship....from a good university with a solid degree. id emply you over the lse nut who went for prestige and cost his parents 45k..

your parents will tell everyone my son got £45k scholarship loads of people will be like WOW. but when they say my son went to LSE they will say ohhhhh you know tuiton fees went up right.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you want to limit risks attend both universities.

It might seem hard but there will be a lot of overlap. Also travelling from Manchester to London to attend compulsory tutorials might be annoying.

Then you can get 2 degrees in 3 years and pretend (like Sramek with his A-levels) that you're some sort of genius.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Then why are you here in the first place? Go play somewhere else.
    Some people who pass through here are mighty good.

I take them on as interns.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul Allen)
    I see...judging my worth by the date I signed up. So having signed up in 2009, your e-penis must be quite impressive no? Throw it on the CV with the 1st from LSE as it makes impressive reading.

Well he answered your question regarding the networking. The fact that you had to ask again might imply that you are beyond stupid.

You did say "Can you talk clearly and specific? I would assume that's a valuable asset in finance." Im sure that being able to extrapolate the answer from something is also a valuable asset in finance. Ben probably didnt have to do a lot of talking as a prop trader so whether it was valuable or not is questionable. Sales or a role in a product/industry group and it would be a different story.

Feel better now Danny?
    Yea I do, my e-penis is so huge :rolleyes:

goodbye paul allen
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some people who pass through here are mighty good.

I take them on as interns.
    Missed my shot? Ha!

Always some sour guys on IB&C
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    100% true.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL, this is so true. It's a hoop, the clever ones realise that and play the game.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by someonesomewherexx)
    OP, please go to Manchester, as a University of Liverpool student who's got a place at Goldman Sachs, brand name isn't EVERYTHING it is a whole lot I'll give you that, but there's way more. Compared to what you have I'm an utterly crap candidate, God knows why they let me in..if they can accept me surely they'll accept someone with a 100% scholarship to study in Manchester, a pretty good uni...You've got to have a killer CV though and loads of confidence and ability to BULL**** through an interview. Also read, think, breathe the economist and financial times...OP you can get into IB without LSE imo.
    Why should the OP believe you? You could be lying about your place at GS. The fact you question why they gave you a place is hardly inspiring for anyone from a non-target!

Also it depends on what role OP wants to go in to, operations would be fine from Manchester, but FO a struggle.

And with regard to BS'ing interviews, that is rubbish. You have to know your stuff otherwise you get outed very quickly.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 29, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.