The Student Room Group

where to go for first date? tell me ur dream-first-date!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by pinkangelgirl
met this guy for bowling, it went quite quick, then he asked if i wanted to go play some snooker, so we caught a bus to town and played snooker for a few hours.

Snooker? Are you sure it wasn't 'pool'? Snooker can be incredibly long for beginners that struggle to pot the balls.

Although it does sound fun. Be honest here, you got it on, on the table, didn't you.... I bet it wasn't just the coloured balls that were getting sunk that night.
(edited 11 years ago)
A cheap dingy motel room
Meeting for coffee is a good idea, it's casual so there's not too much pressure. As someone else said, it's nice having a chat over a cuppa. If that goes well, you can always go out for lunch another time at a nice cafe.

Original post by littleone271
I like being asked out for a drink because then it's totally chilled out and there's no pressure. I find that if a guy takes me for dinner on a first date it can be a little awkward because I dunno.. I feel kinda bad letting a guy I hardly know buy me dinner.. and if I don't like him then I don't want to be seen as someone who just goes out with guys for free meals and then ditches them lol. At the same time, if a guy let me pay for myself (I always offer) then it might feel a bit weird.. Also, if you go to the cinema then it's a bit awkward because I think the guy feels like he should make a move which creates a bit of a tension that I find really tedious and you don't get to talk to each other so it's all a bit pointless really. I think 'do you fancy going for a drink on friday?' is perfectly good. Just don't ask her out last minute because that gives out the wrong messages. Personally if a guy asks me on a friday for instance to go for a drink with him that night or the following night then I'd always be busy because I'd think that he'd probably been blown out by his mates and I was a last resort. Ask her on a wednesday if she'd like to go for a drink at the weekend maybe.

How ****ing awkward are you? :lolwut:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mau5
What? I've played at a snooker hall for like 8 years and never once saw a girl playing, never mind as part of a date. :lolwut:

i used to play it a few years ago as a hobby lol :smile: it was fun
Original post by Lorraine89
I agree, I LOVE ice skating...even though I've not been in ages - anyone want to take me ice skating on a date?? :P
Bowling's a good idea as well...but try not to get too competitive, I had this problem with my last bf and tended to go in a huff when I lost. Skating's a bit more of a neutral activity.

You're in your first year of uni...so you could meet for a couple of drinks at your student's union...or get coffee together...or lunch. If there's an event on at your uni that you're both interested in, you could go to that together? Or you could combine all of the above (from the union idea - skating, bowling, drinks etc might be a bit much :P)

Hope it goes well :smile:

So... fancy going ice skating sometime? :wink:
Reply 45
Coffee would be ideal for me. Maybe a casual dinner (nowhere fancy) and then go or a walk/chill afterwards. :smile:
Legoland, bitches love Lego.
Reply 47
Coffee date is cool or go the the pub for a drink and then a walk.

How about one day at uni, a lunch date? You could make it quite romantic. Picnic or something?

Bowling dates are cool as you can stop whenever you like in the game, talk for a bit, have some drinks. Later after that play on something like an air hockey table, get a little competitive if your that type, i think she will like that.
Reply 48
My dream first date? Food then Old Trafford to watch United but then again I do that with family or friends. I just love it.

Realistically? Coffee/lunch and the cinema
Original post by sarahthegemini
Meeting for coffee is a good idea, it's casual so there's not too much pressure. As someone else said, it's nice having a chat over a cuppa. If that goes well, you can always go out for lunch another time at a nice cafe.

How ****ing awkward are you? :lolwut:

Obviously when I'm actually in a relationship with somebody I'll go out with them last minute from time to time but if I've just started seeing someone then it's good to keep them on their toes and not be too easily accessible. If you want to be appreciated then you've got to play a little bit hard to get at first I think.
Reply 50
My firstly date like a joke.
Reply 51
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey

You're a genius.

OP: Not cinema for first date. Maybe third. You need to be able to chat and the best place you can do that is in a cafe/pub(if it's a quiet one)/or on a walk. Usually it's good to go for a walk after pub/cafe.

Definitely do not invite them to your place on a first date. That'd be like fifth/tenth date.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by arbaaz
Really? I'm surprised! I would have thought that the cinema is the best place to go for a first date and then you could go for a bite to eat after. The reason being is because on first dates there is generally loads of awkward moments like akward silences but if you watch a movie then then go for a bite to eat then you can talk about the movie while you eat so you have something to say during those silences. I always thought the cinema was a win win situation. Plus while you are in the cinema you can think of stuff to say after rather than sitting in a cafe and having nothing to say or running out of something to say.
But yeah you always have to go for a bite out to eat afterwards otherwise it would be kinda pointless seeing as you wouldn't be able to talk and get to know each other.

With regards to what to do when the movie is on, I'd advise from putting your arm around a girl if it's your first date. If it's your first date then you barely know the girl, and she doesn't know you and so it feels a bit like your invading personal space. The only exception to this is if you have been close friends for a while prior to dating. Same applies for holding the hand. In most cases in a cinema it would look weird unless your close or you have been dating for ages. When the movie is playing don't talk to her, it's annoying and a pet peeve of mine. I mean why bother going to the cinema if you can't watch the film without being distracted. Talk in the interval all you want but yeah never during the movie. Only exception is if you are choking on popcorn and need CPR :tongue:

agreed!!! dot why the hate for cinema. if you kow the girl then a cinema wont be awkward. pick a comedy or horror. :smile:
Reply 53
Coffee/ drinks/ dinner.

Not somewhere like cinema or a gig where you can't really talk. The idea of the first date is to talk to each other, to find out about each other.
My first date with my current bf involved walking around in the rain in pretty greenery and awkward snogging in a disused bus shelter that tramps sleep in.

First date with the ex involved drunken fumbling in a club and holding hands in Soho.

Do whatever feels natural tbh but I agree. NO TO CINEMA. You spend most of it in silence and don't know what to do with your hands.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey

loooooooool. lego is silly.
Original post by I<3LAMP
My first date with my current bf involved walking around in the rain in pretty greenery and awkward snogging in a disused bus shelter that tramps sleep in.

First date with the ex involved drunken fumbling in a club and holding hands in Soho.

Do whatever feels natural tbh but I agree. NO TO CINEMA. You spend most of it in silence and don't know what to do with your hands.

wow you go farrrr. on a first that's a bit quick innit?
Original post by amime
Snooker? Are you sure it wasn't 'pool'? Snooker can be incredibly long for beginners that struggle to pot the balls.

Although it does sound fun. Be honest here, you got it on, on the table, didn't you.... I bet it wasn't just the coloured balls that were getting sunk that night.

Snooker takes AGES as I'm **** and need constant reminding of the order of the coloured balls. Perhaps she is genuinely rather competent? :h:

I can kick ass at pool though. 24hr snooker/pool club ftw.
Original post by hannahchan
wow you go farrrr. on a first that's a bit quick innit?

With the current bf- I had been speaking to him on the web for a few months and he was a v shy guy. I did all the chasing there tbh.

My ex was a flatmate at Uni and it just kinda happened though neither guys got ze sex until quite a while down the line.

I didn't ever have that shy 'do you wanna meet up on Friday for cinema?' thing that other teens did tbh it was either with close mates that got closer or with the current bf that I met online.

I'm no slag but I was 18 and 20 when I started dating the 2 long term relationships I've been in. :smile:
I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!

It's simple...

Take her to McDonalds, she'll be "lovin' it", and if she's vegetarian, there's always a salad option.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest