The Student Room Group

Hyperbolic Functions - Math Course, Self-Study

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by makaveli33
Hi Sulexk,
I have done some reading on the chain rule, there are many variations for the type of integer or type, using this...

http://www.sosmath.com/calculus/diff/der04/der04.html

I think it is a matter of practice, I will try to solve some of your questions as soon as possible, using the support given and the website, it is all a matter of practice =).

Thanks.

Hi,

there is a unity that exists between all of those equations listed in that website. The commonality is, that the derivative of all can be found using the chain rule, it simply depends how you use it. However for each of them, one can find out dy/dx by using the substitution dy/dx=dy/du * du/dx.
Yes, practice indeed is very important :smile:
That substitution is awesome! (Substitutions like those above are tremendously useful in C4, especially when you come across rate of change problems!!) So having a brief idea of them now will greatly help.
Reply 21
Original post by sulexk
Hi,

there is a unity that exists between all of those equations listed in that website. The commonality is, that the derivative of all can be found using the chain rule, it simply depends how you use it. However for each of them, one can find out dy/dx by using the substitution dy/dx=dy/du * du/dx.
Yes, practice indeed is very important :smile:
That substitution is awesome! (Substitutions like those above are tremendously useful in C4, especially when you come across rate of change problems!!) So having a brief idea of them now will greatly help.

Hi Sulexk,

So; ques 1: y= ln(4x+5)

Using the derivative : (dy/du) * (du/dx) = dy/dx

(1/4x+5) * (4x+5/4x) = 1/4

Assuming y = 1 based on 1/u == y = ln(u)

== means equal to

Is this correct or does this need to be done differently?

Thanks =).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Hi Sulexk,

So; ques 1: y= ln(4x+5)

Using the derivative : (dy/du) * (du/dx) = dy/dx

(1/4x+5) * (4x+5/4x) = 1/4

Assuming y = 1 based on 1/u == y = ln(u)

== means equal to

Is this correct or does this need to be done differently?

Thanks =).

Hi, good attempt my friend :smile:

So, we know that dy/dx= (dy/du)*(du/dx), and that y=ln(4x+5)
so we have a function of a function again, i.e. 4x+5 is one function, then taking
"ln" of this is another function. So let us rewrite this as y=ln(u) where u=4x+5
then du/dx = 4 and as y=ln(u) then dy/du = 1/u, so:

dy/dx = (dy/du)*(du/dx) = (1/u) * 4 = 4/u
since u=4x+5
then dy/dx = 4/u=4/(4x+5)
So its the whole function of a function reasoning!

Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by sulexk
Hi, good attempt my friend :smile:

So, we know that dy/dx= (dy/du)*(du/dx), and that y=ln(4x+5)
so we have a function of a function again, i.e. 4x+5 is one function, then taking
"ln" of this is another function. So let us rewrite this as y=ln(u) where u=4x+5
then du/dx = 4 and as y=ln(u) then dy/du = 1/u, so:

dy/dx = (dy/du)*(du/dx) = (1/u) * 4 = 4/u
since u=4x+5
then dy/dx = 4/u=4/(4x+5)
So its the whole function of a function reasoning!

Hope that helps! :smile:

Hi Sulexk,

Thanks :smile:, at first I was like "whaaa" :confused:, thanks to your help I am like...

:biggrin:

haha, thanks.
Reply 24
Hi Sulexk,

Thanks :smile:, at first I was like "whaaa" :confused:, thanks to your help I am like...

:biggrin:

haha, thanks.

Cool! :smile:

If you need help with any others, let me know

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest