The Student Room Group

UK Rap

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jingers
I never understand why people listen to rap for social commentary. Why would you want to be brainwashed into someone else's views who's rapping about the media brainwashing everyone?

It's not hard to pick up a book and form your own opinion. I never get why people try so hard to be anti when really they're just being sheep.

it's a hell of alot better than mindless music about money,hoes, and whatever else you hear in the mainstream.

edit: rap really was based off social commentary at one point because everyone related to it and it was real ****.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by fake-patois
it's a hell of alot better than mindless music about money,hoes, and whatever else you hear in the mainstream.

edit: rap really was based off social commentary at one point because everyone related to it and it was real ****.

Why would you want to be brainwashed into someone else's views who's rapping about the media brainwashing everyone?

It's not hard to pick up a book and form your own opinion. I never get why people try so hard to be anti when really they're just being sheep.

When people first started rapping, it was never about social consciousness.
Original post by Jingers
Why would you want to be brainwashed into someone else's views who's rapping about the media brainwashing everyone?

it wasn't about being brainwashed because the music reflected what we were going through and the rappers gave us a voice. if you don't see that then you completely missed the point.

it seems like you don't understand the background of Rap or at least Rap in the U.S because back in the day Rap was always about social issues.

the fathers of rap were guys that were deeply involved in social issues like Gil Scott and James Brown.
Reply 43
it wasn't about being brainwashed because the music reflected what we were going through and the rappers gave us a voice. if you don't see that then you completely missed the point.

it seems like you don't understand the background of Rap or at least Rap in the U.S because back in the day Rap was always about social issues.

the fathers of rap were guys that were deeply involved in social issues like Gil Scott and James Brown.

We're talking about different meanings of social commentary then because I'm talking about the Lupe Fiasco, Lowkey etc type of message about what the government is doing, Illuminati etc.

Rap was never about social issues. It was an accompaniment to the DJ who'd play whilst people were breakdancing.
Original post by Jingers
We're talking about different meanings of social commentary then because I'm talking about the Lupe Fiasco, Lowkey etc type of message about what the government is doing, Illuminati etc.

Rap was never about social issues. It was an accompaniment to the DJ who'd play whilst people were breakdancing.

it's nothing different it's all the same thing...

and i get what your saying about DJ'ing but the culture of hip hop as a whole were reflective social issues. even then guys like Grandmaster Flash were rapping about life in the hood.
Reply 45
it's nothing different it's all the same thing...

and i get what your saying about DJ'ing but the culture of hip hop as a whole were reflective social issues. even then guys like Grandmaster Flash were rapping about life in the hood.

How is not different? There's a clear difference between rapping as a way to get the attention of what happens in the streets/hood reporting and someone rapping about Bush and Obama's foreign policy. Rapping about something that's not going on in the streets but in government, abroad, religion or whatever usually goes hand in hand with what I originally, i.e. the issues with sheeple.

And no they weren't.
Original post by Jingers
How is not different? There's a clear difference between rapping as a way to get the attention of what happens in the streets/hood reporting and someone rapping about Bush and Obama's foreign policy. Rapping about something that's not going on in the streets but in government, abroad, religion or whatever usually goes hand in hand with what I originally, i.e. the issues with sheeple.

And no they weren't.

"Conscious hip hop or socially conscious hip-hop is a sub-genre of hip hop that focuses on social issues"

social issues include things like what goes on in the government.

and in response to whats in the bold what was "The Message" about then?
Reply 47
"Conscious hip hop or socially conscious hip-hop is a sub-genre of hip hop that focuses on social issues"

social issues include things like what goes on in the government.

and in response to whats in the bold what was "The Message" about then?

Just as the quote you just made implies that there are different types of hip hop, there are different types of social issues...

Well if we're going to use wikipedia then:

"The image, styles and sounds of the old school were exemplified by figures like Afrika Bambaataa, The Sugarhill Gang, Spoonie Gee, Treacherous Three, Funky Four Plus One, Kurtis Blow, Fab Five Freddy, Busy Bee Starski, Lovebug Starski, Doug E. Fresh, LL Cool J, The Fat Boys, The Cold Crush Brothers, Kool Kyle, and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.[2] It is characterized by the simpler rapping techniques of the time and the general focus on party related subject matter.[2]

Old school hip hop is noted for its relatively simple rapping techniques compared to later hip-hop music.[2] Artists such as Melle Mel would use relatively few syllables per bar of music,[3] with relatively simple rhythms.[2][3]
Much of the subject matter of old school hip hop centers around partying and having a good time.[2] One notable exception is the song "The Message", which was written by Melle Mel for his hip hop group, Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five.[2] Immortal Technique explains how party content played a big part in old school hip hop, in the book How to Rap: "hip-hop was born in an era of social turmoil... in the same way that slaves used to sing songs on a plantation... that's the party songs that we used to have".[4]"
Original post by Jingers
Just as the quote you just made implies that there are different types of hip hop, there are different types of social issues...

Well if we're going to use wikipedia then:

"The image, styles and sounds of the old school were exemplified by figures like Afrika Bambaataa, The Sugarhill Gang, Spoonie Gee, Treacherous Three, Funky Four Plus One, Kurtis Blow, Fab Five Freddy, Busy Bee Starski, Lovebug Starski, Doug E. Fresh, LL Cool J, The Fat Boys, The Cold Crush Brothers, Kool Kyle, and Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.[2] It is characterized by the simpler rapping techniques of the time and the general focus on party related subject matter.[2]

Old school hip hop is noted for its relatively simple rapping techniques compared to later hip-hop music.[2] Artists such as Melle Mel would use relatively few syllables per bar of music,[3] with relatively simple rhythms.[2][3]
Much of the subject matter of old school hip hop centers around partying and having a good time.[2] One notable exception is the song "The Message", which was written by Melle Mel for his hip hop group, Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five.[2] Immortal Technique explains how party content played a big part in old school hip hop, in the book How to Rap: "hip-hop was born in an era of social turmoil... in the same way that slaves used to sing songs on a plantation... that's the party songs that we used to have".[4]"

there are many types of social issues and when it boils down to it its labeled as "Conscious hip hop"
Reply 49
there are many types of social issues and when it boils down to it its labeled as "Conscious hip hop"

Hence why I said there's a clearly a difference between what we're talking about...
Original post by Jingers
Hence why I said there's a clearly a difference between what we're talking about...

and even if your talking about the more politically driven social issues it still was around back then and was a part of hip hop even when people were all about having fun with the music.
Reply 51
there needs to be a balance of party and social commentary records.

just because you listen to lowkey or immortal technique does not mean you accept everything they say but rather you research further the issues they bring up and make your own opinion.
Reply 52
Original post by Jingers

But how are other peoples books any different?
Reply 53
Original post by ugk4life
there needs to be a balance of party and social commentary records.

just because you listen to lowkey or immortal technique does not mean you accept everything they say but rather you research further the issues they bring up and make your own opinion.

But how many of their fans actually research as opposed to taking what they say as truth.

and even if your talking about the more politically driven social issues it still was around back then and was a part of hip hop even when people were all about having fun with the music.

Here's what I originally wrote:

"When people first started rapping, it was never about social consciousness."

When rap first started, it wasn't about social change, it was about fun. Only when it became more popular did it become a political voice.

Original post by Medican
But how are other peoples books any different?

Because no normal person becomes a die hard fan of an author regarding politics or society in the way that someone becomes a fan of Akala, Lupe, Mos Def or whoever else.
Sorry mate, UK rap suck donkey balls lol, they talk about the same B.S. american mainstream artists do and remix everything they do and to add the remixes they do sound way worse than the originals.
Now If you want guys that can actually rap listen to Big K.R.I.T. & Kendrick Lamar.
Original post by 6iX
Sorry mate, UK rap suck donkey balls lol, they talk about the same B.S. american mainstream artists do and remix everything they do and to add the remixes they do sound way worse than the originals.

Such bull****. UK Hip Hop is no different to US Hip Hop. Both have a wide variety of artists who talk about a range of different things. Youve clearly only come across one type of UK rapper.
Yeah I Know

There's the K Koke, Joe Black, Margz, Benny Banks, DVS, Low Key, Akala ect... to me they suck Low Keys copy's Immortal Technique (don't like both of them if you want Conscious Hip-Hop listening to Dead Prez), NOW FOR UK RAP there lyrical content is so low they make lil wayne and rest of ymca...I mean ymcmb sound good lol

I'm just saying if I want to listen to some gangster rap I put on Lloyd Banks & Raekwon (no Benny Banks). The fact is the lyrical content is to dumb for my liking.

Excluding Wretch 32 & Sway they can rap but the problem with them is that there music isn't to my H!P-HOP loving taste (Brought Black & White been a fan of Wretch from Learn From My Mixtape and when used to roll with "The Movement" but that album Black & White let me down big time)
Reply 58
Original post by 6iX
Yeah I Know

There's the K Koke, Joe Black, Margz, Benny Banks, DVS, Low Key, Akala ect... to me they suck Low Keys copy's Immortal Technique (don't like both of them if you want Conscious Hip-Hop listening to Dead Prez), NOW FOR UK RAP there lyrical content is so low they make lil wayne and rest of ymca...I mean ymcmb sound good lol

I'm just saying if I want to listen to some gangster rap I put on Lloyd Banks & Raekwon (no Benny Banks). The fact is the lyrical content is to dumb for my liking.

Excluding Wretch 32 & Sway they can rap but the problem with them is that there music isn't to my H!P-HOP loving taste (Brought Black & White been a fan of Wretch from Learn From My Mixtape and when used to roll with "The Movement" but that album Black & White let me down big time)

Yeah definitely no lyrical content there :s-smilie:
Reply 59
Original post by 6iX

Sway

Only just remembered Sway. Used to have that This Is My Demo which was decent.

Quick Reply

Latest