Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

There IS a punishment for rape in Islam

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting kind of fed up that some people on this forum can't get it into their heads that Islam does punish rape. Whenever a thread appears of a Muslim rapist or an event from the Muslim world, some idiot comes and posts something about rapist are allowed to get away.

First of all, everyone needs to know that there is currently no country in the world with full Sharia Law in place. So if there is any Muslim majority country that lets rapists go free, then it obviously doesn't have Islamic Law implemented.

Secondly, four witnesses are NOT required for the woman to be innocent. This is for fornication and adultery. If anyone claims this, then bring your evidence from the Quran and/or Hadith.

People really need to learn this before accusing Islam of such a thing.

Evidence for punishment:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Narrated Wa'il ibn Hujr:

"When a woman went out in the time of the Prophet PBUH for prayer, a man attacked her and overpowered (raped) her.

She shouted and he went off, and when a man came by, she said: That (man) did such and such to me. And when a company of the Emigrants came by, she said: That man did such and such to me. They went and seized the man whom they thought had had intercourse with her and brought him to her.

She said: Yes, this is he. Then they brought him to the Apostle of Allah PBUH.

When he (the Prophet) was about to pass sentence, the man who (actually) had assaulted her stood up and said: Apostle of Allah, I am the man who did it to her.

He (the Prophet) said to her: Go away, for Allah has forgiven you. But he told the man some good words (AbuDawud said: meaning the man who was seized), and of the man who had had intercourse with her, he said: Stone him to death.

He also said: He has repented to such an extent that if the people of Medina had repented similarly, it would have been accepted from them."

Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 38, Number 4366
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    You know what is true though?

No where in the Quran is rape specifically dealt with. Old Mo' took the time to specifically deal with Apostacy, Homosexuality, Theft and Blasphemy, but never thought to actually mention rape. All Quranic judgements on rape come from vauge passages detailing sexual modesty, or the taking of somethign by force, in a general sense.

Interesting eh?

EDIT. Neggers gon' Neg. And yet, what I wrote is true. Negging and not replying because you know it?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So... what's the punishment for rape?

As for the adultery and fornication thing, it happens quite often that a raped girl is accused of fornicating with her rapist rather than charge the rapist for rape. Because having a punishment for adultery and fornication is barbaric and so immature it's retarded.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the punishment then? You and the Qur'an conveniently missed that out.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    But when you're criticising the Prophet PBUH in regards to his marriages and battles, these "vague passages" are enough aren't they?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The punishment is the same as fornication and adultery; lashes if unmarried, stoning if married.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S'Class)
    The punishment is the same as fornication and adultery; lashes if unmarried, stoning if married.
    Could you provide us with the verse which states the above?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting kind of fed up that some people on this forum can't get it into their heads that Islam does punish rape. Whenever a thread appears of a Muslim rapist or an event from the Muslim world, some idiot comes and posts something about rapist are allowed to get away.

First of all, everyone needs to know that there is currently no country in the world with full Sharia Law in place. So if there is any Muslim majority country that lets rapists go free, then it obviously doesn't have Islamic Law implemented.

Secondly, four witnesses are NOT required for the woman to be innocent. This is for fornication and adultery. If anyone claims this, then bring your evidence from the Quran and/or Hadith.

Can we not just accept that Islam treats women as second class citizens. /thread

Edit: In response to the negs on this, please give me recent examples of sharia law ruling in the favour of women...
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackG1)
    Can we not just accept that Islam treats women as second class citizens. /thread
    Exactly.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can we not just accept that the western worlds treats the women as sexual toy, 10th class citizen or worse.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I really know enough about the subject, but it's always struck me that this may not necessarily be wholly down to Islam the religion, but a result of a whole number of cultural factors in that part of the world.

However in any case, Islamic countries may be more oppressive towards women, but this isn't to say that women are treated as all that much more important by say, Christianity as a religion.

Admittedly though, personally the traditionally 'Christian countries' of the west seem at the moment to be more tolerant towards women. This may be a misconception gained from bad media publicity concerning Islam. I don't know.

Wow, that was conclusive. :rolleyes:

(P.S. This is an interesting debate! I shall read on to arm myself with yet more arguments both ways for the RMPS exam...)
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does this not set off alarm bells in your head?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    "The punishment for rape in Islam is same as the punishment for zina, which is stoning if the perpetrator is married, and one hundred lashes and banishment for one year if he is not married.

Some scholars also say that he is required to pay a mahr (a dowry of sorts) to the woman".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Could you provide us with the verse which states the above?
    Not verse, Hadith.

Narrated Wa'il ibn Hujr:

"When a woman went out in the time of the Prophet PBUH for prayer, a man attacked her and overpowered (raped) her.

She shouted and he went off, and when a man came by, she said: That (man) did such and such to me. And when a company of the Emigrants came by, she said: That man did such and such to me. They went and seized the man whom they thought had had intercourse with her and brought him to her.

When he (the Prophet) was about to pass sentence, the man who (actually) had assaulted her stood up and said: Apostle of Allah, I am the man who did it to her.

He (the Prophet) said to her: Go away, for Allah has forgiven you. But he told the man some good words (AbuDawud said: meaning the man who was seized), and of the man who had had intercourse with her, he said: Stone him to death.

He also said: He has repented to such an extent that if the people of Medina had repented similarly, it would have been accepted from them."

(Original post by pomme de terre)
    Does the woman get punished?
    No.

"Indeed, Allah has pardoned my people for the acts they do by mistake, due to forgetfulness, and what they are coerced into doing." [Sunan Ibn Mâjah]

(Original post by Gofre)
    Does this not set off alarm bells in your head?
    No, but your going into the debate of is it the correct punishment. This thread is to inform people that rapists don't go free in Sharia. But for your concerns, it would be better to ask someone more knowledgable than me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrigidSymphony)
    So... what's the punishment for rape?

As for the adultery and fornication thing, it happens quite often that a raped girl is accused of fornicating with her rapist rather than charge the rapist for rape. Because having a punishment for adultery and fornication is barbaric and so immature it's retarded.
    Certainly in Saudi Arabia, it is death. I remember in Riyadh, they lost their goal keeper1
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Indeed there is a punishment for rape under Islam. You have to marry the rapist.

See http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...zBS_story.html
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not verse, Hadith.

Narrated Wa'il ibn Hujr:

When a woman went out in the time of the Prophet PBUH for prayer, a man attacked her and overpowered (raped) her.

He also said: He has repented to such an extent that if the people of Medina had repented similarly, it would have been accepted from them.
    Can you provide reference to this hadeeth?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Exactly.
    If we're talking about Shari'a, according to the Iraqi constitution which is one of the few constitutions we have which is based on Shari'a, men and women are explictly stated as being equal.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrahamRodney)
    Indeed there is a punishment for rape under Islam. You have to marry the rapist.

See http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...zBS_story.html
    As I said, no country has Sharia fully implemented, so if you're saying that in Islam you have to marry the rapist, give me references from Islamic sources.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by At peace)
    Can you provide reference to this hadeeth?
    Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 38, Number 4366

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 14, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.