Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

There IS a punishment for rape in Islam

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Okay I can see that you're intentionally being ignorant so here I will clarify it very nicely for you.

The first link I posted was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudawana

The specific quote I was concerned with was this:

The second link I posted was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudawan...of_Al-Mudawana

The quote to note here is this:

Now just a few posts back you posted that the hadith was a big part of Islam:

and since the above originated from the hadith (which is a big part of Islam and apparently mohammad's word) I rest my case that this is sufficient proof that Moroccan family law and penal code are based on the hadith, which is one of the central tenets of Islam.

That page just talks about Mudawana and its origins and history. But in order for them to claim it was derived from Hadith, they must produce those Hadith. If it is derived from the Maliki school of thought, obviously it was not done properly, or changed over time, because nowhere in the Maliki school of thought or other Sunni texts doe it say that the rapist should marry the victim. IF IT DOES, whoever claims that it does must BRING THE EVIDENCE.

In short, you've only shown me Mudawana, you need to show me ISLAMIC sources. Mudawana is not, even if it claims to be.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    Actually no, that is only in the minority :wink2:

on what basis do you say that though?
    That minority is a Majority compared to what he was talking about.

Same as his.

Good to see you though, I guess I never said, "Congrates, Mod!"
    • 24 followers

(Original post by At peace)
    That minority is a Majority compared to what he was talking about.

Same as his.

Good to see you though, I guess I never said, "Congrates, Mod!"
    huh? explain more?

and thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The ruling for rape in Islam is stated very clearly on IslamQA - an authentic Islamic website run by Muslim scholars.

Q: What is the ruling on the crime of rape in Islam?

Islam has a clear stance which states that this repugnant action is haraam (forbidden) and imposes a deterrent punishment on the one who commits it.
    The punishment for rape in Islam is same as the punishment for zina (adultery), which is stoning if the perpetrator is married, and one hundred lashes and banishment for one year if he is not married.
    The punishment is to be carried out on the rapist and there is no punishment for the woman who has been raped, whatever the case.
    Read more...
    • 51 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S'Class)
    No, but your going into the debate of is it the correct punishment. This thread is to inform people that rapists don't go free in Sharia. But for your concerns, it would be better to ask someone more knowledgable than me.
    Oh I'm not going to get into a debate, because it flat out isn't the right punishment, not even close. I was just curious on whether or not you could see the insanity in punishing adultery and fornication with death. There's also a hint of irony, that you've made a thread to defend the Quran's laws regarding one crime while revealing its horrific inadequacies when it comes to others.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That_user)
    well there are four categories to determine how reliable they are. where as the koran is the word of god.
    Yes, and this one is a reliable one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    I'm using the definition of coercion loosely. Telling the wife that the angel will curse her and that she is rebelling against Allah (which is a grave sin and sins are punished) is coercion imo. As I said, it's like a cult leader telling his followers that they have to engage in sexual acts with him or else they'll be punished in the after life. That's not really the definition of rape considering date rape drugs exist and don't involve use of violence or force.

That's misinterpreting the meaning of the actual Hadith. It's supposed to encourage intimacy in their relationship, but in no way does it act as a form of justification for forcing sexual acts.

Narrated by Mu'awiyah al-Qushayri: I went to Allah's Apostle and asked him: "What do you say (command) about our wives?" He replied: "Give them food what you have for yourself, and clothe them by which you clothe yourself, and do not beat them, and do not revile them." (Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 11, Number 2139)

Even if you go into the technicalities of rape itself, it's still rape. Either way its a form of abuse regardless of whether it involves physical violence or not. And Islam doesn't permit it or justify it in anyway that I know of.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    huh? explain more?

and thanks
    JackG1
    Can we not just accept that Islam treats women as second class citizens. /thread
    Can we not just accept that the western worlds treats the women as sexual toy, 10th class citizen or worse.
    He just spoke his opinion out, I spoke mine. What's there to explain.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrahamRodney)
    Indeed there is a punishment for rape under Islam. You have to marry the rapist.

See http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...zBS_story.html
    So you're using one case from Morocco to back up your argument? Ok.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Oh I'm not going to get into a debate, because it flat out isn't the right punishment, not even close. I was just curious on whether or not you could see the insanity in punishing adultery and fornication with death. There's also a hint of irony, that you've made a thread to defend the Quran's laws regarding one crime while revealing its horrific inadequacies when it comes to others.
    Revealing? Everyone knows this and even if they didn't it's not something that I would hide. And yes, I know that a lot of non-Muslims find it horrific but every law is there for a reason. Just because we don't understand that reason doesn't mean we (Muslims) can change it.
    • 24 followers

He just spoke his opinion out, I spoke mine. What's there to explain.
    What is the logic and rationale behind your opinion?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    i never said anything about sharia, morocco follows islamic law...your thread title is about islamic law....i was referring to islamic law....the judge in morocco based his decision on islamic law....i dont give a damn about your OP because I didnt say sharia law...I said islam...which is what your thread is about (read your own title)
    But it isn't Islamic, if it disagrees with Islamic beliefs? Its sexism bro; stop taking things out of context, and nitpicking to try your best in making Muslims look like groping rapists and pedophiles.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sal91x)
    That's misinterpreting the meaning of the actual Hadith. It's supposed to encourage intimacy in their relationship, but in no way does it act as a form of justification for forcing sexual acts.

Narrated by Mu'awiyah al-Qushayri: I went to Allah's Apostle and asked him: "What do you say (command) about our wives?" He replied: "Give them food what you have for yourself, and clothe them by which you clothe yourself, and do not beat them, and do not revile them." (Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 11, Number 2139)

Even if you go into the technicalities of rape itself, it's still rape. Either way its a form of abuse regardless of whether it involves physical violence or not. And Islam doesn't permit it or justify it in anyway that I know of.
    How does Islam not permit it? How is telling you're wife that if she doesn't engage in sexual intercourse with you the angels will curse her (fact according to Islam) and she'll be sinning against Allah (another fact according to Islam)? That's just educating her about the religious stance. It does allow this. I don't see how it doesn't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How does Islam not permit it? How is telling you're wife that if she doesn't engage in sexual intercourse with you the angels will curse her (fact according to Islam) and she'll be sinning against Allah (another fact according to Islam)? That's just educating her about the religious stance. It does allow this. I don't see how it doesn't.
    Does this apply within the context of a dispute between a couple? I thought they're supposed to sleep in separate beds if they're having a serious dispute? I know that women/men aren't supposed to continuously refuse sexual relations for no valid reason, e.g. periods.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is the logic and rationale behind your opinion?
    Nadooo
    That's why the two most dangerous countries in the world for women are Afghanistan and Pakistan? Somehow, I don't imagine Paris to be as nasty as Kabul or Lahore. Enjoy your child brides, paedophilia, sex trafficking, marital rapes, genital mutilations, stonings and lashings. :rofl:
    Considering I've live in one of those "two most dangerous places for women", I'll prefer that a 1000 times more than that sexist Paris. Atleast I get to cover my body and not display it around like trash for you to have fun looking at it.
    I hope your girls enjoy lesser pay grades, Rapes, harrassments, cheats, putting their bodies on sale, being kept for a night and then thrown as crap and raising kids alone with no rights of inheritance and stuff because their fathers are unknown!
    Something along these ^ lines. Not that you'll see much logic OR rationale in that. I suppose you've got to be 1) A Muslim and 2) A muslim GIRL actually, to know "exactly" what I mean. For us muslim girls, a girl is already treated as a sexual object when pushed to show her body. I guess for you people she's already 'Oppressed' if she covers.
    • 24 followers

Something along these ^ lines. Not that you'll see much logic OR rationale in that. I suppose you've got to be 1) A Muslim and 2) A muslim GIRL actually, to know "exactly" what I mean. For us muslim girls, a girl is already treated as a sexual object when pushed to show her body. I guess for you people she's already 'Oppressed' if she covers.
    erm? what? when and where does this happen?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    Does this apply within the context of a dispute between a couple? I thought they're supposed to sleep in separate beds if they're having a serious dispute? I know that women/men aren't supposed to continuously refuse sexual relations for no valid reason, e.g. periods.
    Yeah. It's the first thing you're supposed to do. It's admonish her > sleep on separate beds > beat/tap/whatever lightly (no bruises) on a non-facial area with a traditional Arab toothbrush thingy.
    • 51 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S'Class)
    Revealing? Everyone knows this and even if they didn't it's not something that I would hide. And yes, I know that a lot of non-Muslims find it horrific but every law is there for a reason. Just because we don't understand that reason doesn't mean we (Muslims) can change it.
    There are numerous positions on whether or not the Quran does or doesn't call for different punishments, but that's beside the point. And that logic might apply to crimes where the ramifications are more variable or ambiguous, but it should be painfully apparent to anybody that adultery is not a crime worthy of execution. The correct response when faced with such information is not to assume the Quran knows better than you, it's to get as far away from that book as possible.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. It's the first thing you're supposed to do. It's admonish her > sleep on separate beds > beat/tap/whatever lightly (no bruises) on a non-facial area with a traditional Arab toothbrush thingy.
    I don't see the issue then. If you're a Salafi then presumably the hitting with the miswak is out of the question because Muhammad never hit his wives and you're supposed to copy him. Although it's not only Salafis who try and copy him. There's also the legal Shari'a position that the miswak acts as a rule of thumb meaning the most a Muslim man can hit his wife without facing prosecution under Shari'a is that which is stated in hadith, i.e. you can hit her with the miswak on her hand but not anything more.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    erm? what? when and where does this happen?
    In France! Opps. C'Mon It's Everywhere. You think women would show their bodies if those who covered were shown in a more positive light? You don't see movies, adds, billboards, magazines, cartoons and dramas focusing on covering the skin, do you? That's what I mean by her being "Pushed" to show her body. Why else will she choose to wear the dress that looks "hot"! She doesn't do it for herself.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 14, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis have the poshest students?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.